Polished feed ramp...

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by LaiePoi, Jan 27, 2012.

1. LaiePoi

LaiePoi New Member

Does anyone know if a polished feed ramp on your barrel makes your gun more reliable when feeding hallow points? And if so, does it require a gunsmith?

2. Sport45

Sport45 New Member

It depends. Polishing can't hurt, but if you remove too much metal you can hurt the geometry or leave too much of the case unsupported.

I suggest leaving it alone if you're not having problems and take it to a 'smith if you are.

If you decide to polish it yourself use 1000 to 2000 grit wet/dry abrasive (look at Wal-Mart in automotive near the Bondo). Keep it wet with oil and apply finger pressure only. Don't take any more off than you absolutely have to.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Some firearms (mainly pistols) are already pushing the limits on case support in the barrel area.
    Are you having problems with one brand of hollow point or all?
    The ogive of the bullet could be the problem.

Try to use a hollow point that comes close to the same ogive as the ball practice ammo first.

4. LaiePoi

LaiePoi New Member

Thanks for the info! I'm not having any major issues with feedings I was just curious cuz I was looking at some customizations dealers offer when buying new guns from them and saw one that said "polished feed ramp" and just got me thinking that's all. Always good to know more about things even if you may never need them...cuz you never know! Thanks again guys.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Polishing a feed ramp is usually a fix for shoddy construction techniques, or poor design, or poor quality control.

Never have it done unless a gun is exhibiting feed issues. Polishing or throating a gun that is working just fine can actually turn a working reliable firearm into a jamomatic.