Police recruit shoots back.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by MarkoPo, Feb 10, 2008.

1. MarkoPo

MarkoPo New Member

Recruit shoots back.

Is a computer really worth your life?

Police recruit fatally shoots would-be robber, 14

By TIM EBERLY
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/09/08

An Atlanta police recruit shot and killed a teen boy who tried to rob him at gunpoint early Saturday, authorities said.

The 14-year-old allegedly had confronted the recruit while he was in his vehicle in the parking lot of the Parkside Crossing apartments, in the 4200 block of Jonesboro Road in Forest Park.

Forest Park police Lt. Amy Wright said the teen suffered more than one gunshot wound and died. She would not reveal the boy’s name, saying she was not sure all his relatives had been notified, but said he lived on Fisher Road in Atlanta.

Wright also did not release the name or age of the police recruit, but she described him as a younger officer who recently got out of the U.S. Marine Corps, is attending Atlanta's police academy and lives at Parkside Crossing.

The shooting occurred at 12:15 a.m. The recruit was sitting in his personal vehicle, logged onto his laptop computer because the apartment complex offers free wireless Internet service, Wright said.

He heard a tap on his driver's side window and looked up to see the boy standing outside his car. The youth allegedly had a shotgun pointed at the recruit's face.

The boy said something the man did not understand, but the recruit believed the teen wanted his laptop, Wright said.

The recruit could not roll down his window because it was broken, so he began opening the door, she said. As he stood up, he grabbed a handgun that he had at his side and used the laptop to hide the weapon.

The recruit then opened fire on the robber, killing him, Wright said. The would-be victim spotted a second male nearby who apparently was a lookout. That individual ran away and was being sought by police Saturday evening.

Forest Park police found a set of keys on the dead boy for a vehicle that was parked outside the gated complex. The car had been stolen from East Point, Wright said.

The shooting appeared to be in self-defense and no charges were pending against the police recruit, Wright said.

2. Righteous

Righteous New Member

steal young die young...nature thinning out the herd

3. MarkoPo

MarkoPo New Member

I totally agree with you. Like someone said on another forum, someone just added some chlorine to the gene pool. :)

4. Duck

Duck New Member

If a person has decided to steal from you, then they have given up their right to live. They have shown that they cannot be trusted in society and they no longer deserve a place in that society. Anyone that has ever had their house/ car broken into should understand what I'm saying.

5. bkt

bkt New Member

+1 Not much to argue with there.

6. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Agreed. It's Darwinian.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That which makes us human is our humanity, not our genes. When a genetically human individual displays no humanity, that individual gives up the right to be called human. Contrary to PETA, only humans have human rights. We put down mad dogs. This was a mad dog. A pup? Sure, but still a mad dog.

8. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  9. SimonTuffGuy

SimonTuffGuy New Member

Stolen car? Shotgun? Sounds like enough for me to open fire...

10. Defender

Defender New Member

I hate to see a kid that young die, but he was incredibly stupid and asked for it.

Job well done, recruit!

Thankfully, drug dealers and other criminals are doing a good job these days of killing each other. Nothing like letting them "thin the herd" themselves, without having to put the police in danger. ;)

11. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
    Robert A. Heinlein

The last thing every rapist should see....
    [​IMG]

12. MarkoPo

MarkoPo New Member

^ That is great Pioneer, that is soo true. On a similar note on the way home from town tonight my wife and I were talking about some of the local wally worlds. She said she refuses to go to them at night by herself, commenting on how scary some of the people look. I suggested that she take the CCW class with me in March, and pick up a little .380 or a .25. She said she would think about it. I was surprised, when I frist told her of my intentions of purchasing a gun she was less then thrilled. Now she is at least open to the idea of learning to shoot. After we got home she told me she saw a white van driving up and down our road at night and this concerned her. There have been quite a few break ins around here lately. We live on a private lake in southern Michigan, where most of the houses are summer homes. I think if she learned how to shoot she would feel less afraid to be here by herself and our 9 month when I work thrids sometimes. I might have a chance to get her to like guns yet! :)

13. aussierogue

aussierogue New Member

another gene removed from the gene pool

14. Defender

Defender New Member

If you're both going to go to the time and expense of doing that, at least buy her a weapon in a large enough caliber to stop a determined attacker.

The .380 and .25 are virtually worthless for anything besides shooting paper targets, tin cans etc.

The MINIMUM recommended calibers for anybody who is genuinely serious about handgun self-defense, are .38 Special in a revolver, and 9mm in a semi-auto. Even with those two calibers, one should always use jacketed hollow points.

15. MarkoPo

MarkoPo New Member

Are there many 9mm that are really small? I picked up a Springfield XD sub-compact and I think that would be too big for my wife to carry. Any pocket size 9mm you would recommend?

16. Defender

Defender New Member

If she's not an experienced shooter, I wouldn't recommend a "really small" 9mm.

The recoil can tend to be downright annoying, even intimidating to inexperienced shooters, when using tiny 9mm "pocket pistols".

I'd recommend something like the Smith & Wesson 3913 Lady Smith, which holds a single stack 8 round magazine, rather than the bulky double stack magazines the XD uses.

Your average woman can get her hand around a single stack pistol a lot easier. Any good quality mid-size single stack should suit most women just fine.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  17. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

1.) From a ballistics standpoint, a .38 is about the same as a .380.

2.) You should use jacketed hollowpoints in almost everything you carry.

3.) A .25 in the pocket is better than a .45 in the safe...

18. Zappa

Zappa New Member

19. GlenJohnson

GlenJohnson New Member

I live in Florida, and you couldn't get me to live in any of those 4 locations for love nor money, and to be honest, I'm surprised Jacksonville isn't higher. Don't get me wrong, I love Florida, but we did our research before moving down here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/orlando/30743-murder-rate-soars-orlando.html