police carry

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by juststartin5272, Jul 27, 2012.

1. juststartin5272

juststartin5272 New Member

What do the majority of police agencies carry. Do you think they would tell you what their service weapon is if I were to ask. The main reason I ask is I'm looking into become an officer and would like to purchase a gun that I would be carrying if I were to join the force.

2. FearTheFree7

FearTheFree7 New Member

Definitely glock is number one used.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Almost every cop I see I ask what he is carrying. I start with a friendly conversation then mention I am trying to learn about guns and ask them what they are carrying. I have noticed many carry Heckler and Kochs. Some do carry Glocks.

4. rock185

rock185 Member

Hello justartin, Glock has about 65% of the police business in this country, at least that's what they tell us in the armorers schools. I am retired from a rather long stint in LE and have been part of the hiring process on a number of occasions. I hope you won't be offended if I offer some advice. The process in being hired into LE is rather lengthy. So many people I've interviewed don't really understand how challenging it is. The recruitment process will involve a written application of course,written test, oral board, psych. evaluation, physical, physical agility test, a backgound investigation back to the day the person was born, polygraph and perhaps a practical situations type test. If an applicant survives that process, then it's on to the police academy, and if successsful on to the FTO part of the process for several months. At any stage, for just about any reason, an applicant can be disqualified and no longer considered. I have seen applicants dismissed at about all of these stages, including being fired during the last few days of their probationary year. I'm describing the process in Arizona, but I suspect other states are at least similar. My point is, to try to predict which pistol you would be carrying some day as an officer would be problematical indeed. Anyway sir, I wish you the best of luck should you decide to pursue a career in law enforcement.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am a member of the Fire and Police Commission in my little town and the application process here is exactly as you have described.

The thing is, each department has different requirements for what their officers carry. Some tell you exactly what you must carry, some are a little more lenient and may just want you to carry a certain caliber.

Good luck on your quest to be an LEO. Keep your nose clean and work hard. You can do it.

6. Wildone72

Wildone72 New Member

Around here in Ga they carry a Glock G22 for the most part.

7. FearTheFree7

FearTheFree7 New Member

I've been applying at local departments where I live for the past 2 years since graduating college. And you are not kidding about it being a length tuff process. So far out of 4 departments I've tested for after the written test and oral interview the highest I've achieved so far is 10th on the list. I've improved every time I've tested so I have to keep on chugging away!

8. Longrange

Longrange New Member

I talk to leos all the time, in my city they all carry glock 22

9. rurak

rurak New Member

My father in law is an leo in my home town. They carry sig sauer in 9mm.

10. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

The Freedom of Information Act mandates they must tell you what the department issue guns are. Anything non-classified being funded by tax payer money is public record by law. Keep in mind that many Police Departments will allow Officers to carry their own weapon but as several have mentioned above, most officers will be glad to tell you if you ask them and tell them why you want to know.

11. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Shelby County Sheriffs Dept(Memphis,TN) deputies are issued Sig Sauer P226 with the DAK trigger in 40cal.

12. SWBMOAMP2691

SWBMOAMP2691 New Member

Here in Colorado Springs they all have M&P40s or XDs.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

My best advice as a former military police. The gun is almost irrelevant to police duty. To get through the academy you need to be physically fit. Get in shape. You need good study habits pay attention take notes etc. You need critical thinking skills.

As a police officer 99.99999999% of your duties will be interacting with the public while they are distraught upset or afraid or injured. Gunplay is so minor a part of police work its a non factor in most officer's lives.

Officers that do pull their guns and shoot at another person can likely tell you verbatim every single detail because its a rare and traumatic experience. Ask the officer what occured during a traffic stop 3 weeks ago without refering to notes you will get a blank look. Ask the same officer what occured the last time he pulled his duty weapon on someone you will get a long story.

Concentrate on being a good student and staying fit it will serve you far better than buying a gun like the officers in any given dept use.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Glock in .40 or 9MM.

15. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I couldn't tell you what the majority carry, but around here the issue sidearm is a Glock .40. The officers that are allowed to choose their own weapons are for the most part using either Springfield Armory XD 40's or Sig 1911 in 45 ACP.

16. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Ask the agencies that you've applied to.
    Glock may have the largest share of the market, but that's by no means a guarantee that they have exclusive coverage in your area. I have read that S&W M&Ps have made some inroads into the LE market. Sig & H&K are out there too. Beretta has some agencies as well. Then you have agencies that will allow varying degrees of personal weapons.
    That said, I wouldn't let it keep you up at night. Concentrate on getting hired.

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

You're putting the cart before the horse, no offense.

Many LE agencies assign a specific "duty gun" to an officer

from their own stock. Many are also "compromise calibers",

like the .40 S&W.

It would probably be better to get your training, and when you become a LEO,

see what that department uses, and go with the flow.

As stated previously, gun usage is a very small percentage of

police work...

18. Wildone72

Wildone72 New Member

He is doing the same as I did. I found out all the departments in the area I wanted to work in use G22 do I bought one to get even more practice with it. Then even when the academy issued ours I still hade mine to shoot before we where allowed to shoot the academies.

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

When I retired we were carrying the Glock Model 22 & 23 the officers had their choice. I carry a Glock Model 27 Compact for CCW in normal weather.

20. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

I have the same carry weapon. I was carrying my G22 but i did not like it with some shorts. I picked up a used G27 at a gun show and love it for a carry weapon.