police answer 911 call then shoot caller accidently

Discussion in 'Firearms in the Media' started by downsouth, Aug 21, 2012.

1. downsouth

downsouth New Member

2. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Wow! And the inepitude and stupidity keeps coming. I do believe this world has actually and figuratively has turned upside-down in its insanity.

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

yikes. hope they dont just get a slap on the hand

4. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

What maroons.

5. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

More reason to NOT dial 911.

6. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

The deputies ran into Orey, and one of them had a “spontaneous reaction."

What a great line. I can understand it now, I had a spontaneous reaction on prom night. :D

7. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

As horrible as this is, it's an accident. Lets be honest how many of us leo's or not, if we were called about a prowler not knowing wether he is armed or not would be perfectly calm. Personally i would be terrified, i would do my job, but tell me you wouldn't be the slightest bit on edge. That said it doesn't excuse the officers actions and his impulsive behavior that may have killed someone.

8. levelcross

levelcross New Member

“spontaneous reaction." Sounds like running with the booger picker on the trigger to me.

I can only guess at the stress levels of LEO during a search like this. So I can see the number of accidents like this growing as do the number of crimes. Put the criminals down by massive ventilation of respiratory cavity and watch the crime rate drop.

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Spontaneous reaction? WTF? We're not talking about a wet dream or morning wood here. This guy shot someone.

This is one of those time when they would have been better off with the standard line: "We cannot comment on an ongoing investigation."

I have feeling that the settlement from this is going to cost the taxpayers dearly.

10. bkt

bkt New Member

Prosecute the cop who shot her the same way any other individual would be prosecuted for shooting an unarmed innocent person. No special dispensation should be given because he (she?) is a cop.

Then, review basic firearm safety rules and go over "always be sure of your target and what's behind it before putting your finger on the trigger" three or four times.

I'm glad she wasn't killed and hopefully her wounds won't be lasting.

11. fmj

fmj Active Member

any bets it will be 2-4 weeks "administrative leave"??

Were it any CCW holder we would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!

another example of "above the law"

12. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

But sir; they were scared for their lives and full of adrenalin, someone had to be shot.

13. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

Why the **** was his finger on the trigger if he wasn't clear of his target? There is no such thing as an accidental shooting, only negligence.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

It seems that the only gun control that is really needed should be directed at law enforcement. I have the utmost respect for anyone that risks their life to protect others. But give me a break already!

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

no excuse for that. if your stress meter is pegged that far into paranoia you shouldnt have a firearm much less be a police officer. ive personally cleared tons of buildings and areas with suspected burglers and prowlers. its scary but its part of the job. you either cowboy up and do the job correctly or find a different line of work.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Have seen and been involved in frantic firefights with unarmed civilians running the gauntlet in the street. Keep in mind, in Iraq and Afghanistan, the enemy combatants don't wear uniforms either. Never saw a civilian shot by our guys in these instances. However, it DOES happen in those scenarios, as it's just damn near unavoidable.

These guys, or whichever one fired the shot, need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent for negligence and dereliction (and probably a couple more charges too) and then likely the entire department needs some major remedial training. This kind of thing is completely unacceptable, even in a full fledged battle.

17. pmriley

pmriley New Member

Amen to that! I've been seeing a trend in LEOs lately. Big egos, and bullying folks.

We had an incident in Indianapolis a few years ago when the cops burst in a door and the drunken sleeping homeowner woke up and tried to defend himself with a knife. He didn't know who had broken in, he just felt in danger. He was shot to death. They were in the WRONG apartment! Nothing came of when incident.

Another Indy cop hit several motorcyclist sitting at a stoplight. One died, I think one was in the hospital for a year. He had been drinking, but the blood draw was sent to a lab certified for civilian testing, but not for LEO. Later the blood was removed from the fridge in the evidence locker and became worthless! Accident?

This one is still waiting trial.

This week 5 cars rolled up to a parked car in the Lowes parking lot. The Lowes employee was sitting in his truck having lunch. They thought he was stealing catalytic converters. Ok, check him out if you must, but 5 cars, really!

We need to get back to serving and protecting!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  18. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

Hey you never know.....he might have a gang of ninja assassins hidden in the glove compartment.

19. pmriley

pmriley New Member

To fit in the glovebox, they must be "clown" ninjas. They just keep coming and you thing they'll never stop. :)

20. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

Nah, they were trunk monkeys. Those things are dangerous!!!

[ame]http://youtu.be/l8oPVVGYQ40[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012