Pointing always the barrel in the wrong direction?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Thematador, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Thematador

Thematador New Member

I'm a college student who is currently in ROTC, and even though I'm just getting introduced to the basics, I've gotten alot of flack(and I guess rightfully so) for pointing the barrel of fake/rubber duck in the wrong direction. Although, I've cached up and learned to always point it towards the ground in non-confrontation situations.

However, I have a hard time handling the rubber duck safely when I have something heavy like a rucksack on as due to comfort issues I'm forced to always shift the gun around often by holding the top of say an M16.

You could also say initially, I had a hard time taking things seriously due to the fact that it was rubber ducks I was dealing with and not actual weapons.

Therefore with these issues in mind could someone give me the overall brief on safety with these types of firearms?

2. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Welcome, you picked a great forum to learn and there is a wealth of information to be absorbed from the members here.

Have fun, and remember to always be safe.

Rules of the road:

[​IMG]

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Even though it is a non-firearm training replica, the idea is to develop good habit with it. Careless handling of a rubber duck, will lead to careless handling of an M-16 later.

4. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Don't worry...you're qualified to be Vice President...seriously, what they said..

[​IMG]

6. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

They are right. Your mind knows it is a training tool, but if you train correctly, your body won't be able to tell the difference when you have the real thing. So, when on the range, with a hot weapon, your muscle memory will kick in, and you'll always have your weapon pointed in a safe direction.

Remember:
    1. Every gun is loaded.
    2. Always keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
    3. Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you are ready to fire.

If you stick to those 3 extremely important rules, you and everyone around you should be safe.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

It was second nature to me in the army i grew up with firearms and safe handling.

My best advice forget its fake thats the point. Training with it now taking it serious now where a mistake wont cost someones life is kinda important if you dont have a serious background in firearms.

Just remember things can always be worse. Try a full pack plus gear and ammo for a m60 machine gun and trying to keep it safe. It can always get worse :)

8. jetgirl

jetgirl New Member

There ya have it! :)