Point Shooting and Sighted Fire Integrated.

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by KalashnikovJosh, Jun 28, 2010.

1. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

There have been many discussions,disagreements,and downright pissing contests about Point Shooting vs. Sighted Fire.

I dont want to get into that here.

I just wanted to show a historical clip that shows a soldier integrating the two back in the 1940's.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5J7lbGm-RY]YouTube - Point Shooting[/ame]

2. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

nice video.. i train all ways and should do moor prone training a little slow getting down even slower getting up:D

3. KalashnikovJosh

I hear ya brother-its starting for me too.Back is always aching these days:mad:.....

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

WOOT!! I am the FTF Point Shooting Advocate!

You stand a 90% chance in your first PD action to fend off a knife or gun attack with your weak side arm as you blow the BG's heart out with your gun inches from your holster.

Not only will you not use your sights, you probably won't even see your gun.

Here's another static, you are 1,000 times more likely to use a fire extinguisher to put out a house fire than to draw and fire your carry piece in a PD action.

So......start counting your house fires and when you reach 1K, you'll be up on rotation for some self-defense action!

5. KalashnikovJosh

Mister Canebreak-I too am an advocate of point shooting,but also of aimed fire-I believe both are important.Equal time in training both 'dry' and 'live' should be devoted to integrating both into one well-rounded discipline.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

If some bastard named 5shot stops by here advocating putting your friggin trigger finger down the side of your pistol, pulling the trigger with your middle finger, then stating how this is a "fatal flaw" in the 1911 platform, I swear to Christ I will ban everyone in this thread! :mad:

Point Shooting.

There has been NO SINGLE TOPIC that has caused as much turmoil and stupidity as this one topic.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+1 Josh, but you can bet your butt that this old man will be doing little prone shooting anytime soon! [​IMG]

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Can he do that? [​IMG]

Bad time of the month JD?

[​IMG]

Love ya brother! :eek:

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You have access. You go ahead and search through the "fatal flaw in 1911 can be fatal for u" thread and you tell me. :mad:

Dumbass to the 10th Degree.

10. KalashnikovJosh

Actually,I've had a look at his website.I've been interested in point shooting history and have tried to incorporate it since I began supplementing my martial arts training with WW2 books.Googling 'point shooting' will get you a link to his site.
    I'd never heard of that sort of grip with using your middle finger till I came across that guys website.
    I guess to each his own,but please dont ban me if he shows up to argue the fact,it was not my intention to start a fight at all.
    I know its contentious,the whole point shooting vs. sighted fire debate,but honestly I really think the two should compliment rather than contradict each other in the repertoire of the modern shooter.

I just wanted to show that video.

Would I try that strange middle finger shooting grip ?

Not likely.

And thats because I wouldn't instinctively go for my gun that way.
    Correct or incorrect,it would take me longer to unlearn the way I've been shooting -and doing quite decently,I might add- than it took for me to learn what I'm doing that works for me.

If it ain't broke,no need to fix it.

I also read that stuff about the flaw of the 1911 or whatever.

You can also choke a semiauto by limp wristing it,which I strongly suspect a two fingered grip might promote.
    I have been lifting weights all my life.I could do a heavy deadlift with my middle,ring,and pinkie fingers,but I wouldnt try it with just my pinkie and ring fingers around the bar.
    I'll go outside right now and try a couple pullups with the different hand configurations.

I'll bet dimes to dollars I can do pullups with my first finger and thumb off the bar,but not with all but those two on it.

And the reason why is because the power of our grip is focused in the three fingers of middle,pinkie,and ring.

Anyone whose ever done serious grip strengthening work should know that.

OK-to the pullup bar,brb.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  11. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

wow i cant even imagine doing that. id look like a monkey screwing a foot ball

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'm jerkin your chain, yes I remember the pain of the "fatal flaw" on multiple occasions!

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Oh, it's true. I think those two threads led to more reported posts than anything else outside of full blown religion.

That guy completely fits the "cheerio" assessment. :rolleyes:

JD

14. KalashnikovJosh

OK so besides getting caught up in a long distance phone call-I could not manage to even hold my body weight hanging freely on the bar with just my pinkie and ring fingers,and even when I used my thumb.
    I regularly do wide grip pull ups with a weight belt and rep my body weight plus a little extra-so its pretty telling that I cant even hold myself up with this grip.
    I could do several pullups with my thumb and pointer finger extended and all the rest around the bar.It was,of course,even easier to do pullups with just my pointer finger in the air.
    I would say that gripping anything,especially a tool that you may be fighting for your life with,in such a way that compromises the strength of your grip on that tool-your grip integrity-is not good.

But I really dont want to start any arguments.

You can hold and shoot your gun any way you please,its a free country-but you wont see me doing that middle finger on the trigger thing because I know what positive grip strength is and that just aint it.

As a side note-I dont know why it would be a 'fatal flaw' to have the slide stop/extractor pin the way that it is on the 1911,it would seem to rather be more prone to cause you trouble with ANY gun if your not holding it strongly enough to retain it.

More like a 'fatal operator error' than something wrong with the 1911.....and I'm a HP fan,not a 1911 guy at all,so I'm not trying to defend the 1911 here.

But choosing a gun is a personal thing,IMHO,you have alot of makes,calibers,and models to choose from,and if you want one that you can shoot with your big toe,have at it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010