Firearms Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, for anyone,or at least anyone who has shot a KEL TEK P3AT. I got one back in Nov. and so far have only been to the range once with it. Maybe my expectations were a little high in shooting a decent tight pattern, but it was so sporadic, it was pitiful. My Bersa .380 is not too bad. Maybe I just need more practice, cause I'm talking a probably a 8 to 10 in. spread at least. Any thoughts on those laser sights that on the bottom in front of the trigger guard. Not that I could afford one, probably wouldn't fit in my paddle holster anyway.

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
That little Kel Tec is what we call a "Doctors Gun", eyes, ears, nose and throat. It's not for target shooting, it's made for sticking in someones' gut and emptying the magazine.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
Question, for anyone,or at least anyone who has shot a KEL TEK P3AT. I got one back in Nov. and so far have only been to the range once with it. Maybe my expectations were a little high in shooting a decent tight pattern, but it was so sporadic, it was pitiful. My Bersa .380 is not too bad. Maybe I just need more practice, cause I'm talking a probably a 8 to 10 in. spread at least. Any thoughts on those laser sights that on the bottom in front of the trigger guard. Not that I could afford one, probably wouldn't fit in my paddle holster anyway.
I have a P3AT and it shoots exactly like is should, it fires until the ammo is gone. You can't ask for much more that that.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Little story about the baby Kel-Tecs.

Several years ago I took a pile of handguns out for a bit of
point shooting. 15 guns, from J frames to a 1862 Navy.
Revolvers, autoloaders, some of everything.

Target was a paper plate at chest height, range 15 ft.
Drill was draw, point and pull. No aiming, firing from a
mid chest level looking over the top of the gun.

Kel-Tec P32 was the ONLY gun that put them ALL on
paper, every time. YMMV

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Several years ago I took a pile of handguns out for a bit of
point shooting. 15 guns, from J frames to a 1862 Navy.
Revolvers, autoloaders, some of everything.

paper, every time. YMMV
Impressive!

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
paper, every time. YMMV
More of us should be practicing like this. 99% of personal defense reaction will require this style of shooting.
If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most ranges i been two dont let a person holster and shoot..

the range i been going to lets me and this has become my new hobby.

@ first i really was like wow. im bad... to target shoot I was good.
*never clam to be great*

but now I can pull from my holster and shoot. point and aim...

*6 months about and now can point and aim ok*

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't a defensive handgun (ie fixed sights) going to be POI at about 10m, but not really a lot further than that?

The MP is POA-POI at about 10-15m but after that I have to aim progressively higher to hit centre target as it gets further. On paper 20-30m I often have no bloody idea where its going lol

Isn't that the point of reloading (or one of the main points)? That you can tailor a load to hit roughly POI at about 20...which is pretty necessary in my case.

That was my understanding anyway; if you can't adjust your sights, adjust the load.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.