Pocket sized chainsaw

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by kaido, Jan 28, 2012.

1. kaido

kaido New Member

Just figured I'd share this with everybody since saving weight/room in a BOB is a fairly big issue.

It's literally pocket sized when folded up. Just found it really nifty and thought a few of you might as well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwa2iv7tEtI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

2. bkt

bkt New Member

Looks pretty neat. In case anyone missed it, go to http://survivalgeek.com/ and you'll see the pocket chainsaw there.

3. Sniper75

Sniper75 New Member

I currently have a wire saw with my BOB. It's not the greatest, but it's better than nothing. I will be looking to this tho for sure thanks for the heads up.

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe I could have gnawed through that log quicker, and with a lot less effort.

If I was using it for firewood I would have just let the damn thing burn in half. As far as using it to build a shelter, forget that, I would rather sleep in the freaking rain.

I don't see it as a practical solution.

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I can cut through logs up to 4" in diameter fadter w my pull saw. Or just use my ka-bar heavy bowie strapped to my pack to hack them into the right lengths.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

6. kaido

kaido New Member

But if you don have room for a full sized saw or happen to lose your Bowie, even if you don't lose it, might not want to dull it quickly. To me this thing seemed like a pretty cool idea.

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The bowie scabbard will take a hell of lot of effort to remove. The knife is hard to get out of the scabbard. I carry a dual sided stone and a steel. So im not worried.;) plus branches and hackin apart carcasses is why i carry said knife. Ask anybody that owns a ka-bar of any sort and they will tell you they sharpen easily and hold an edge very very well.

8. kaido

kaido New Member

Well....I suppose you wouldn't have anything to worry about with that then. But not all of us (such as myself) have the money to put towards such a nice knife. Thats where this thing comes into play.

I also think it would probably be faster to cut through a foot thick log with this little saw then it would be to cut it with a ka-bar. But I've also never had the chance to use either, so that's just a thiught.

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I took the knife as payment for work done on a guys shotgun. A foot thick yes but up to say 8" im just as quick on the hack as that saw appears to be. I have used a good machete and hatchet for a long time loggin though....as in for the last 10 years or so.

10. kaido

kaido New Member

Damn, glad to see people still make trades out there. Money seems over rated and tends to cause a lot of problems in my eyes.
    But your right, it does depend on who's using the blade VS the saw.

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

It wasnt quite a trade. It was more of a "i did the work and he didnt pay so i stomped him and took his brand new knife as payment" knowing he wouldnt go to the cops over it since i was told he was a felon the day before.

12. kaido

kaido New Member

Well then, I guess that works out just as well. Haha

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yes it did.

14. bkt

bkt New Member

The example in the video probably wasn't the best. If you're trying to remove a 4" limb from a tree or you're trying to cut down a small tree, this thing might have merit. I carry a small hatchet in my BOB. Not sure which - the hatchet or the pocket chainsaw - would be faster or require less effort, though.

I like the hatchet because it can also be used as a hammer and even a weapon. You can't do that with the pocket chainsaw.

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

At some point you have to minimize all of the gizmos you carry. You could have every gimmic available, but you would need a semi to haul it. I would ask myself, "Self, do you already have a tool to accomplish the needed task?"
    "Which tool does the most different things?" I would decide between a hatchet and a chain saw and the hatchet would win hands down.

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I have a small hatchet of really good quality and a good heavy bladed knife w decent length that holds its edge and is easily sharpened so i see no need to have something like that. I also have a cable saw.

17. Tell_Sackett

Tell_Sackett New Member

My hunter safety instructor said she was given one and thought it was amazing. That is until she decided to only bring the pocket chain saw on a hunting trip. From what I understand it was thrown away and she advises everyone to not waste their money on them.