Pocket carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by markie357, Nov 10, 2012.

1. markie357

markie357 New Member

Hi everyone new guy again
    Can you give me your opinion on carrying in your pocket? That seems to worry me? I suppose if safety is on maybe ok but I would think if your going to carry you wouldn't you leave the safety on? Again I'm trying to learn as much as possible before I pay my money pick my carry gun and then start to carry. Thanks, Mark

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Pocket carry is not as it sounds. Most of us use a pocket holster. It slips inside your pocket. It breaks up the outline of the gun and covers the trigger. It often looks like a wallet in your front pocket. It usually has a texture that keeps it in your pocket when you draw your gun. They start at about 10 bucks for an uncle mikes and go up from there. That is the only Unkle Mikes holster I would recomend. I carried a j-frame like that for several years.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Use a pocket holster.

Attached Files:

4. markie357

markie357 New Member

Ok thanks wow I feel stupid

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I don't carry a handgun that has an external safety. I carried a revolver for 20 years and now a semi-auto for the last 6 years with a long double action type trigger pull, stricker fired pistol and its in a pocket holster. No need for a external safety

6. old-school

old-school New Member

First of all, it must be carry (alone) in a pocket holster. The holster must cover the trigger. I carry both my LCP and the LC9 in a DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster, it have a material on the outside, which is so sticky it's almost like fly paper. So the holster stays in the pocket when I pull the pistol.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If you do not use a pocket holster, one day you will find a need to draw and fire. When that day comes your opponent will be pelted with pocket lint, crumbs, that tic-tac you could not find, fingernail clippings and dandruff.

Without a holster that covers the trigger, please note the distance from muzzle to cojones. Small, is it not? :eek:

8. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Here is a picture of my Desantis Nemesis pocket holster for my Ruger LC9

ForumRunner_20121110_165236.jpg

This slips right into my right front pocket.

9. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

When I REALLY need to carry REALLY concealed, I carry a NAA .22 mini revolver (or two) in pocket holsters that I make myself:

Haven't carried any of these in a long time -- my usual is a Ruger LCP with a couple of spare mags.

Attached Files:

10. connectegr

connectegr New Member

Seecamp 32 and Sig Sauer P938

Attached Files:

11. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I'll sometimes carry my Bersa .380 in my jacket pocket, its DA so its pretty safe to pocket carry.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

That looks like a bauer or amt.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  13. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Don't feel stupid. I pocket carry without holster. Instead I keep hammer down, on a single action handgun, which is called condition 2. Most recommend against this, I don't. In fact, I do it confidently.

The only thing a holster is good for is preventing the tigger from being accidentally pulled, but in a situation where the gun isn't cocked, it's a pointless prevention.

Ultimately its up to you. If you're carrying a DAO style gun you should always have safety on. The short time I carried such a piece I did so withoht holster, cocked, with safety on. It was a Ruger LC9 which had a very stiff safety and I worried none about the possibility of negligent or accidental discharge. I don't think anyone should.

I hate holsters and refuse to use them unless open carrying.

14. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I've been carrying this NAA .32 on and off for at least 10 years. The DeSantis holster is a pleasure to use during summer months where concealing a weapon becomes more difficult and sometimes uncomfortable.
    [​IMG]

15. wharvey

wharvey New Member

The pocket holster is more than just for safety, it keeps then gun positioned and helps keep it cleaner, both mentioned already. I think the majority of DAO guns don't have safeties and aren't needed any more than a safety is needed on a revolver.

16. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I don't know what you guys do with your pants, but I have no pocket link and put nothing in the right but my gun, that's it, ever. Nothing accumulates in them unless you're tossing garbage in them. Position I coupd see be a problem for these tiny pistols, but my commander sized 9mm goes nowhere.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  17. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Even the Uncle Mikes Walmart special holsters work. Just put the gun in a holster and you will be fine. I get sawdust, all kinds of debris in my pocket and my guns stay clean and safe. Even if my pocket pistol has a safety I don't use it. Once you pull a gun it needs to be ready to fire...

18. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

I've been carrying my Elsie Pea and Sig 938 in a Uncle George wallet holster for a good while now and have found it to work about the best.

[​IMG]

Although since I recently picked up a Springer XDS 45 cal I have been carrying it in a "Guru" pocket holster in my front cargo pocket.

[​IMG]

19. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

So you carry in your back pocket? You sit on your gun? Sounds terribly uncomfortable.

20. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

Not at all, it's no worse than sitting on your wallet.