Pocket carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by NGIB, Sep 28, 2009.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Just wondering if anyone besides me uses pocket carry as their primary method? It's the only real way that works for me since I work on a military installation. While I can have a gun in my vehicle on post, I wanted a way to quickly arm myself upon leaving the installation. Toyed with using a regular carry and an easy on/off paddle holster but the pocket gun is just so much more convenient.

My current carry is an NAA Guardian .380 in a Desantis Superfly holster. Just ordered another of these holsters for my J-frame S&W 37 this morning. No, this doesn't provide me the firepower of my 686+ .357 or Para P16 - but I'm quite comfortable with the little blaster...

2. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I would pocket carry a backup pistol if i had one small enough.
    Not as a primary weapon, though.

3. Jess

Jess New Member

carry laws vary state by state.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

If you actually read the post:

Yes, holsters are required in GA...

5. PA_Shooter

PA_Shooter New Member

Hi, what do you think of an IWB holster? To me an Uncle Mike's IWB fits real well for my Kel Tec P3-AT. What do you see as the advantages of the Superfly? Thanks for your info.

6. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I pocket carry often, the combination of really warm climate and the dress code at work make it the most convenient way to carry my weapon at all times (and since my carry permit was such a PIA to get, I'm gonna use the crap out of it!).

7. WDB

WDB New Member

I don't own a pistol that fits well in a pocket. Still want a snub nose 38/357 but no go for now, still think I would carry it much the same way. I carry IWB, it's easy to put on/take off and when carrying in a better postion for use IMHO.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I saw a show where Rob Pinkus described pocket carrying a hammerless revolver and how to fire from the pocket. Great idea imo! :)

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Personally, IWB and I don't get along that well. The reason I chose pocket is strictly for convenience. When I leave the post after work I don't have to strap on a holster - just drop the Guardian in my pocket. I like the Superfly a lot, it's made from a very tacky material that stays put in your pocket. It also comes with a removable flap that when installed makes the holster look like a wallet for rear pocket carry.

Ordered a Superfly yesterday for my J frame S&W 37 which will go in my jacket pocket when the weather gets cooler. Bottom line is it's the lazy man's way to be armed - even if it's not a 1911.

And no, I don't feel under-gunned as I train a lot to put them where I need them...

10. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've been concidering pocket carry for in the summer months and when no other method is reasonable. I don't currently own a weapon that would work in my pocket so I haven't tried it. Maybe in the future...

11. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I feel very comfortable with my .38 and .357 snubbies, because they are the weapons I train with the most. They fire pretty decent ammo, they only drawback is capacity.

I feel ammo capacity is a very relative thing, I spend most of the working day in a very safe building with good security, where I'm unlikely to need a gun at all (but we all know sh*t still happens, so it's better to be prepared). So five .357 shots are enough for me. At my house, since home invasions here are usually carried out by more than one person, I keep a Para 14-45 at hand.

12. ccr203

ccr203 New Member

I pocket carry a Kel Tec PF9(9mm) in a desantis superfly pocket holster in the summer when wearing shorts/ t-shirt. It works well for me.
    Again, loss of available ammo with a single stack magazine, but the way I see it, its better to leave the house with that set up and be comfortable then leave without a weapon.

Chris

13. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter New Member

My carry pistol is a un-issued CZ 82 mil-surp. It's hard to conceal depending on what I'm wearing. But I've carried it in my right front pocket the most.

Of course depending on the season it carrys fine under a jacket better.

14. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Yeah, I hate to admit it but due to the "love handle" syndrome - I pocket carry most of the time. :eek:

DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster and my "pocket rocket". ;)

[​IMG]

15. Highpower

Highpower New Member

The CZ-82 is a bit large (and heavy) for me to pocket carry. But I find this rig works pretty well for me IWB.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Hey Highpower, what brand holster is that? I'm looking for a leather IWB holster for my Ruger LCR, and that thing is nice.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

I can't find the jealousy smiley, but i am!

18. Highpower

Highpower New Member

19. Taipan

Taipan New Member

Pocket Carry a Kel-Tec P3AT

I pretty much always have my Kel-Tec P3AT in my pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. My other carry gun is a Makarov IJ70-18A, and I carry it iwb. I prefer the Kel-Tec for the much smaller weight, while still having a decent defensive round.

20. Lowrider

Lowrider New Member

I carry a Ruger LCP in the pocket most of the time. I've only had a CCW for 6 months or so, but really like the COMPLETE concealabliliy of an in the pocket carry.