Pocket carry?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by NGIB, Aug 25, 2009.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I work on a military post and as such I can't carry at work. Thankfully, Ft Stewart allows me to have a gun in my truck (unloaded) so I always had one with me and the loaded mag was in the glove compartment. On many occasions I dont go straight to work nor straight home and I was in a pickle.

Holster up so I could carry or leave the gun in the truck and do my business unarmed - with a gun left in my truck. Finally decided the best way to solve this was to go to a true pocket gun. This way, I just drop the little bugger in my pocket and all is well. Here in GA a holster is required for any carry so when I got my pocket gun I also bought pocket holsters for it.

No, carrying a pocket .380 is not as comforting as having my Commander tucked at my side but it's much better than being "naked". What's y'alls thoughts on this?

2. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

ANY gun in your pocket when SHTF beats the gun you left in your truck
    by about 1,000,000,000,000%

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I have to agree, having a 380 in your pocket is better then having nothing at all. If that is a better method of carry for you I say go for it, you could always keep the commander in the truck.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The way things are today, I actually don't feel comfortable leaving one in a vehicle unattended. This was the dilemma and the pocket gun is at least a partial solution...

5. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I sort of struggled with this delimma too. I solved it by putting an "expendable" gun in my vehicle, and I still have my "carry" in my pocket. Here lately, we have seen a lot of car breakins. I keep my "car gun" nicely hidden, but it's readilly available if you know where to reach. Most car burgularies are smash & run and they miss the pistol virtually every time.

6. Mark F

One thing I'd like to recommend to anyone that has decals, stickers, or anything else that would "suggest" you may have a gun in, on, or around your vehicle... GET RID OF IT.

A buddy of mine "had" a bumper sticker that said "Insured by: Smith & Wesson". His vehicle was broken into 9 times... before he figured out that "Smith & Wesson" bumper sticker really SAID: "I have a gun in the car, COME STEAL IT".

Just some friendly advice...

7. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Occasionally it is necessary to leave a gun in the vehicle ie. going in to the Post Office, a Court house, etc.. Fortunately the dwell time in places where I can't carry is measured in minutes, and the gun is definately NOT in sight.

8. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

Pocket gun.

I have a 3032 TomCat that rides completely inside my back pocket. Is always there outside of my house, or out of my work station. .32acp-not much, but as said beats throwing rocks.

9. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

Should start a new thread.

You're right Mark. This has been hashed out before. When I became a Supporting Member, everyone was showing where they placed their decal from FTF. I stated that I placed mine next to my Life Member NRA, in my gun safe. I do not want to tell every Crack Head that this vehicle has guns!! I do not leave firearms in vehicles, but I don't want to have to repair my car or truck, after broken into looking for them.:eek::confused:

10. Mark F

Not seen, and not advertised. That's the only way to carry.

11. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

There is nothing wrong with carrying a .380 ACP. That will still bring some hurt to the fight if it ever happens.

Pocket carry is much easier than traditional, so there's no fault on you for that.

Sounds like a good idea in your situation.

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Heck, I'm truly lucky I work at one of the few military installations that even let you have guns in your vehicle. I came here from Atlanta where I worked at Ft MacPherson. This place was in a terrible section of town and they DID NOT allow any weapons on post. They conducted searches often enough that it was a real risk getting nailed.

Since I couldn't have one in the truck, I made a 50 mile round trip every day thru the crappiest parts of Atlanta - unarmed...

13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Sounds like you made the right decision. :)

14. OC357

OC357 New Member

The right decision and compromise.

Adapt and survive.

OC

15. Robert NC

Robert NC New Member

NGIB
    I was supposed to spend a tour at MacPherson. Decided to turn down promotion and retire rather than take my family there and live off post.
    Was at Stewart 83-86. Now that was a fun post to live on.

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Yeah, you had to live a minimum of 25 miles from Ft Mac to get out of the combat zone. Stewart (Camp Swampy) is an OK place to be, Savannah is just down the road - REAL hot though...

17. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I was curious about that myself. I personally have never been on a base that allowed weapons. Most bases where personal weapons are allowed they have to be checked in and out of the armory just like the issued weapons.

18. NGIB

NGIB New Member

We get around that here as there are ranges (and hunting areas) we can use just outside the gates. Stewart has LOTS of real estate and only a small percentage of the post is actually inside the fences. Folks that live on post must keep guns in the armory as is normal for the military.

About 2 months ago I was stopped for a random search and I had 4 pistols in the truck. The guards gave me a few funny looks but all was well...

19. Robert NC

Robert NC New Member

Sure changed. Used to ship my pistol, rifles and shotguns with me in my household goods everywhere and kept them in my home living on post. Wouldn't want to turn anything in to the arms room that I had.