Pocket .380s....

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by JCANNON, Feb 13, 2013.

1. JCANNON

JCANNON New Member

Hi guys I'm in need of some advice... I'm trying to find a reliable pocket da/sa or dao .380 pistol. I've been lookin online nonstop and I think I may have it boiled down to a couple good ones. Feel free to try and convince one way or another! The kahr p380 (cw380 just came out as a less expensive option might go that route) is at the top of my list as of now. It's dao, small, and seems of good reliable quality. Only thing is it only has a 5 year warranty. Should this be a deciding factor at all? Next on my list is the s&w bodyguard .380. I hear they had a firing pin cracking issue? Is this resolved and reliable now? this does have a lifetime warranty but I don't know if rat should count so heavily for it if its not a quality pistol. Besides after 5 years maybe a new pocket pistol is a good idea regardless? Feel free to suggest any others guys and btw, I am not interested in a pocket 9mm. Thank you in advance!

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I don't know much about the two you have it narrowed down to. I have a Sig P238 that I really like.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

Ruger LCP?

Attached Files:

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Have you looked at/handled a Bersa Thunder .380? They have 7, 9, and 15 round capacity models and one that is supposed to be optimized for concealed carry. I had one and loved it, but my sister needed a new purse pistol.

It is not as teeetiny as the Kahrs.

It is SA/DA and has a decocker and an integrated lock in case of kiddies. I really like the flat nickel finish.

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

kahr has a new CW380 , well it is out but you may not see one for some time. I would not over look the taurus TCP with a SS or black SS slide and 2 mags. They can be bought for 250 to 260 dollars. A far better trigger than other micro 380s and seems to shoot any ammo. You would want a C model. Its in the serial number.

I carry kahrs and like the larger calibers very much in 9mm and 40 but our 380's are a couple tcp. Both are very reliable. Great under 5lb trigger and a slide hold open. My wife and youngest daught cc them as part of there pistols.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

lcp is a great choice and is a true pocket pistol. i carry one all the time even have mine in my pocket holster in my pocket as im typing this.

7. JCANNON

JCANNON New Member

can you get two fingers on the lcp?

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

yes easily. the grip is very thin but thats a good thing for ccw in the pocket

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would have to give the nod to the LCP. I have a Kel Tec. Yes, mine runs flawlessly after 5 months of shipping the P-3AT back and forth to Florida. Needless to say I can not recommend a Kel Tec. Yes, I have the P-3AT in my pocket right now.

10. GonzoGeezer

GonzoGeezer New Member

I have owned a BG380 for two years and have had no complaints. I haven't run thousands of rounds, but then none of this class of guns are range guns. It conceals well in pocket or belt holsters. I do not bother with the laser. I also have a PPK and PPK/S in .380 but they are larger and heavier and require a belt holster.

-GG

11. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I'd suggest holding the CM 380 and a CM 9 at the same time.

The 9 mm is only marginally larger but provides MUCH more terminal performance than the .380

Just my .02 cents... Good Luck

Tack

12. Randy40TX

Randy40TX New Member

Bersa Thunder .380 really neat pistol also it comes with a laser out of the box ! It shoots great I recommend !

13. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I have the KelTec P3AT and have had it for at least 7 years now. It's never failed nor had any issues. However, it is anything but a pleasure to shoot. I rarely even pull it out at the range. After carrying it for many years, I bought the new Sig P938 in 9mm. You can get that same Sig in the .380 I don't own one, but of all the people that I've read using it love it.

14. JCANNON

JCANNON New Member

Guys I think I'm pretty much set on getting the S&W Bodygaurd .380. My reasons are as follows: small size, manageable recoil, lifetime gaurantee, laser (only a small +), DAO w/hammer design (second strike and more importantly safer carry should i choose to not use safety except for pocket carry), price, lock back on last round, 2-finger groove for decent grip, sights, witness window (not necessary but neat nonetheless). All of your insight has been much appreciated and has gone into my consideration. However, unless i can be strongly persuaded otherwise, I'm getting the BG380. Feel free to continue the debate/info still!

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

No use in giveing advise as you all ready made up your mind . Worse trigger in any 380.

16. JCANNON

JCANNON New Member

You clearly didnt read my second to last sentence. if your feelings are hurt becasue i didn't choose your gun i apologize. advice is just that, advice. it's not a "pick what i say or else."

17. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Check out the Beretta Nano. It's 9mm, 6+1, and far less snap than an LCP and did I mention it's 9mm?

18. JCANNON

JCANNON New Member

less recoil and 9mm? i'm listening...how??

19. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

A bit more weight to the pistol over the LCP.

I gotta strongly suggest you give them all a test, it's the best investment of ammo you will make.

20. AntonE

AntonE New Member

I have the Kahr PM40. Love it, but when you hafta take it down, it field strips a little differently than others. When you reassemble the slide to frame you have to get a little spring adjusted just right on the takedown pin. Just a shade more hassle to this gun. I dont have a Bodyguard to compare, but it got awfully great reviews.

I think you made the right choice.