PMC ammo in .45ACP FMJ, how would you rate this ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by orangello, Jun 26, 2009.

1. orangello

orangello New Member

OK, i found a website selling this stuff for about $24 per box of 50 rounds. I've never used it. I usually use that Blazer Brass stuff & have some UMC in the big yellow box. How will this stuff compare to Blazer or UMC? Not jamming is more important to me than tight patterns are.

I'm just looking for some practice rounds here; i'll probably get a half dozen boxes, maybe ten if it gets good recommendations.

There are a couple of places with the wolf brand 45acp, how would it compare to Blazer, UMC, and/or this PMC stuff?

What about the CCI Blazer, non-brass ammo, i see it is available & similarly priced? Or even the Sellier & Benoit (sp) reloadable stuff that CheaperthanDirt (expensive dirt) has?

Sorry, i couldn't find my answers with the search function. :eek:

I'm looking for opinions, range results, or advice on good 45ACP practice ammo, please & thank you.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

That's a stupid price for ball ammo. The PMC stuff feeds well and is reasonably accurate, but there's no way in hell that I'd pay that much.

Keep an eye on SurplusAmmo.com, Affordable Ammo

Or, if you're really hard up and can prove to me that you're 21, I can sell off a few boxes of my personal stock for $15/box+shipping. Its all Blazer Brass.

3. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

There is nothing wrong with PMC ammo. Every PMC ammo I have ever used, has been of good quality and the brass is great for re-loading. The price is a little stiff (should be around $15), but that will change in the coming months as ammo becomes more available. I would either wait or find it somewhere else cheaper.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have been known to refer to PMC as Pretty Much Crap. Others have called it Pretty Much Cheap. Their QC seems to have come a LONG way over the last 20 years or so. In my recent experience, PMC is on par with WWB, Rem-UMC, Blazer brass, etc. It will probably shoot better than you are capable of shooting.

On a side note: A buddy of mine was developing a major power .40 load for an STI Comp gun. Once fired PMC brass was blowing out the base on every shot. Defective brass or too thin. The same load was fine with R-P, Win or FC brass. I have never heard of any problems with the .45's

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Good God, I used to buy that stuff for $9 a box!!

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Well, that is what i wanted to know. It's similar in quality to Blazer ammo. I realize the price should come with lube, but it seems to be the going rate for the current time.

:) Matt G, i appreciate the offer, but this is just ammo i want for plinking fun (loud plinking).

I have one box of Blazer brass left & a 300 round pack of UMC; i just don't want to shoot my last box of 45 for pure fun & not be able to replace it. Of course, i do keep some nastier-looking hollowpoint ammo for defense situations (got enough to keep a loaded mag in the gun & another nearby, plenty for my situation). I'm not completely desperate yet.

I think i may pick up a couple of boxes of PMC & a box or two of the non-brass Blazer for evaluation. I don't think prices will go down before i spaz out from lack of shooting the XD. I don't reload & will probably not miss brass cases if the non-brass Blazer performs similarly enough to the brass (seems logical). I do plan to pick up the brass i do get for reloading use by somebody with more sense than me.

Thanks for the help guys!

Oh, if anybody else is jonesing as bad as me, Natchezss.whatever is the place i was looking at. I might just drive over to save on shipping, gotta ask about that.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

FWIW, I have an Auto Ordnance 1911A1 that LOVES the cheap, aluminum cased, non-reloadable Blazer 45 ACP. Disgusting, but it shoots that better than military match ammo. Reliable, accurate, frustrating.

And when you get tired of paying ridiculous prices for PMC etc, get a good reloading book, a single stage press, a scale, and a set of dies in 45 ACP. Shop carefully for used gear, you can be reloading for less than $100.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Blazer .45 ammo at my local wally world for $14.97 a box.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

I check mine regularly, but always miss it.

C3shooter, I have a good scale, but I have no skills.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  10. matt g

I got all of mine back when they were selling it for $9/box. I saw that that wasn't going to last forever, so I stocked up. I've got 15 or 20 boxes of it left.

11. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Good Scale??

No other handloading equiptment,-but-"I have a good scale" What do you weigh that needs a good scale???:confused: Do you have papers too??

12. orangello

orangello New Member

Nothing powdered and yes, i have a variety of papers too, though i prefer the sweet taste of a flavored tobacco wrap. :)

13. matt g

Flavored stuff is for kids. I'm still rockin' the French cut Zig Zags that come in the orange pack. They let you twist 'em up long and fat.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

I'm a kid at heart. I like the slower burn time of the tobacco.