pmc 357 wont work in my gp 100

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Mick3411, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

I am a noobie to revolvers. I wasn't expecting them to be as ammo sensitive as my semi autos. I had bought 4 boxes of PMC 357 and the cylinder won't even close when I load these rounds. It was fine with the PMC 38 sp and even the range reloads. It just surprised me. At the cost of ammo I hate having ammo I can't even shoot and the store says that can't exchange it.

Anyone else have this happen to them.

2. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

Being a newbie, are you sure you have a GP100 and not a GPNY? They look the same yet the later only has a 38 special cylinder.

3. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

Yep it is a GP 100 6in. It shot the range 357 reloads and even the Winchester hps I had. The RSO said it was just a "tolerance issue" with the ammo

4. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

That's odd, Precision Made Cartridge has always been a quality brand. I've put hundreds of rounds of PMC Bronze through my Service Six (police GP100) without issue. I would contact the manufacturer and advise them of the problem with that lot.
    PMC Ammunition - 10777 Westheimer Road, Suite #1101, Houston, TX 77042
    • Ph: 281-407-5655 • Fx: 281-407-5654

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Weird! I'm almost certain I've put some PMC through my GP100.

I would be measuring some overall lengths and comparing. Good call on notifying the manufacturer too.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Is the PMC OAL in spec?

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Strange- I've shot quite a bit of PMC threw several 357's with no problems :confused:

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

IF you have been shooting .38 Special, go clean the cylinder. You can build up a ring of carbon/ crud right at the .38 case mouth, which will keep a .357 from going all the way in.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Tru Dat ;)

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

spot on...as usual.

11. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

There also is a GP100 thats 38 spc only. crazy but true:eek:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  12. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

Actually I started with the 357 range ammo, then the PMC 357 and then the PMC38 and then the Winchester. Only had the problem with the PMC357.

I came home, cleaned the gun and then pulled random rounds from the other 3 boxes of PMC and none of them would even allow the cylinder to close.

I just think this is very strange. Since all 4 boxes were bought at the same time they are likely from the same lot. I will contact the mfg as suggested

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

One more thing to check. See if there is any dirt or excess oil behind the star ejector. The tolerances on the Rugers are tight. I had a tiny bit of debris get behind the star on a reload and the cylinder would not close on my SP101. Probably not the case but it is a good thing to know.

14. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

Took the gun and ammo back to the lgs and they agreed it was an ammo problem. They verified that the cylinder wouldnt close with the PMC and tried the gun with 2 other brands which loaded fine. They swapped out my 4 boxes and are sending these 4 boxes back to PMC.

Went to the range and had zero problems. Just a freak quality control problem I guess.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Truly weird! I guess all the demand has production pushed to the point that quality control is suffering.

16. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

Good to hear it wasn't a problem with the Ruger and a lesson to always check your ammunition.

17. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

I had a similar problem when I bought my Taurus PT38s. I ran Winchester (whit box) through it, Blazers through it with no problem. I bought 4 boxes of Remington UMC and the gun would fire once...then the brass would not eject. After clearing it I tried rounds from the other boxes and had the exact same problem. I called Remington and they asked me to send it to them, which I did. In a week they sent me a nice letter telling me it was up to their specs and was sorry for the inconvenience. They did enclose a check to cover the 4 boxes of ammo, however. I haven't bought any Remington for that pistol since then. That was 10 years ago, gun is still fine with all other ammo including reloads. Guess the Taurus didn't like the UMC's.

18. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I am sure of it!

19. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Odd story but yeah I can see that. Lake city had a recall of a massive batch of 5.56 about two months ago. Prone to squib shots I think.

Just manufacturers tryin to push too hard to meet demand. Good cliff note to remember. The QC can suffer coming back from a run on ammo.

20. Firenailer

Firenailer New Member

I had that happen with Fiocchi Ammo a month or so ago with a new GP. The first day out Mine fired PMC and Blazer with no trouble, but couldn't close the cylinder with the Fiocchi's.(the last box of ammo I had at the time).

I thought it might have been crud buildup, took the gun home cleaned it up and still had that same problem. It had to be that batch of ammo as I haven't had the problem with anything else I've been shooting. The cartridges I was having trouble with just looked like they weren't sitting in the cylinder right.

I will say, these Ruger's have tight tolerances and it seems like you have to be careful when switching between .38 and .357. You can definitely feel the .357's hanging up after you shoot some .38's and have to be sure you get them in all the way. Might be better to just stick with the .357 loads until it gets a bit worn in.

But I also think they may be pushing out ammo so fast quality control might be slipping.