Plugging scope rail mount holes on Benelli Supernova?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Timmer92, May 2, 2014.

1. Timmer92

Timmer92 New Member

Hi all,

I have a Benelli Superova that I use for turkey hunting on which I had a red dot scope attached by a Weaver rail. For various reasons I have decided to remove the scope and rail mount and shoot with open sights. That leaves me with 4 holes I need to fill.

It originally had plastic plugs that deformed when I punched them out so I didn't keep them. I tried using some of the screws that came with the weaver mount but the heads stick up and are therefore in the way. Does anyone know what screws I should use to fill these? I think I'll need to know general length, but most importantly head type and thread size. I was reading another site and it seems like the recommendation was Forster plugs. It looks to me like there is room for some sort of a sunken head, so the Forster plugs don't look ideal to me.

Thanks!

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I know I may get flamed over this advice, but here goes:

Take those screws and loc-tite them in. (Now here come the flames) Using a Dremel tool, GENTLY grind the heads down. Before inserting the screws, use tape as a barrel protector. When the grinder hits the tape, that is deep enough. Use a cold blue to color the screws.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

There is nothing wrong with Danf_FL's advice. I would call benelli for another set of plugs first.

4. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Easy quick fix is some "set screws" from any hardware store.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1399085835.332484.jpg

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I cant believe Benelli used plastic plugs. Even Ruger 10-22's come with filler screws. They are a very common item. Do not put in screws and grind them off. You can take a coule of hundred dollars off of the value of the gun if you do.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

no hardware store will have the correct screws.
    you can easily buy some from brownell's or midway.

7. Timmer92

Timmer92 New Member

Thanks all. I should note that I might want to mount something in the future, so I'm looking for something I can screw in and out, or a plug I could pop out like the originals.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

How about a dab of black RTV?

It'll keep the dirt out, fairly easy to remove, and no defacing the firearm.

10. crash11049

crash11049 Member

I would call benelli for another set of plugs first. John_Deer gave the best advice.
    A easy fix that would be original and not harm the value of the gun.

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

plug screws are 8-40 or 6-48 with the bulk of them being 6-48. if you are into guns at all then just buy some of each from brownells or midway. or any gun shop will have some. if you are not into guns then you are in the wrong forum.

12. Timmer92

Timmer92 New Member

Thanks that helps!

For those that suggested I call Benelli - I did so. Not only were they unable to provide me any sort of screw or plug, but they couldn't even look up the thread information. I was surprised and disappointed. Along those lines I won a Stoeger (owned by Benelli ) at a banquet last year and wanted to find a spare stock so I could shorten one for my son. When I called them it was exactly the same. They couldn't sell me a stock or provide me the name of a vendor who could. I'm a big time shotgun sports guy who purchases with some frequency. I'll have to say Benelli is moving down my list as it seems that post purchase support is dismal.

13. Hill_Country_Gunsmith

Hill_Country_Gunsmith New Member

Maybe we can help you find that stock for your Stoeger. What model is it? Wood or synthetic?

14. JTJ

Personally I would like to find a laminate or synthetic stock for my 20 gauge sxs double trigger coach gun. Their wood to metal fit is atrocious and cracked stocks are the norm.:(

15. JTJ

The filler screws will be the same thread as the scope base screws. Put a little blue Locktite on the screws and flush them to the action. Dont forget to align the slots. Any guns smith should have them in their screw assortment.

16. Hill_Country_Gunsmith

Hill_Country_Gunsmith New Member

Yeah, that would be nice. Even when Stoeger was doing their ugly "defense" coach gun they just painted the wood black.

You can prevent most cracking on your stock by bedding the head of the stock to the action. I also like to put in some metal rods to enhance strength. When done correctly it is invisilble.

17. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

The Nova/Super Novas have a steel frame that in encase in a polymer so you need the polymer screws

18. JTJ

Do you use polymer screws on the scope base?

19. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I honestly have no clue. I just use mine for duck hunting.

20. JTJ

Scope base screws are steel. The filler screws can also be steel.