Pls help me in buying a gun

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by rupa, Jan 15, 2010.

1. rupa

rupa New Member

Hi!
    I wanted to gift my husband a semi automatic for his birthday. He likes to do target practice. Budget is about 300 $.
    Any good guns out there for this price?
    Thx.

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Please stop by the introduction area and let everyone know you are here.

What kind of weapon are you looking for? Target, self defense, a combination of things?? $300 isn't much to work with in the world of solid semi autos but a clearer picture of what he might be using it for would help narrow it down.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Does he want a rimfire (.22) or centerfire? There's a bunch of semiauto .22s out there for less than 300 dollars. 300 dollars will get a SKS in the centerfire category.

4. afi1

afi1 New Member

That's what I was thinking. Not much for target use, but cheap and fun to shoot! It's a good rifle for home defense too. The SKS that is.

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I will restate what I put in the Intro. Take a look at a Ruger P90. Good Pistol in your budget range.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

if he has an AR15 get him a .22LR conversion for it. the CMMG ones are currently top rated and run between 125-160

7. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Semi automatic WHAT?

Pistol? Rimfire or centerfire? ("rimfire" would be for the 22 LR cartridge)
    Lots of rimfire in your price range, just a few centerfire.

Rifle? Again---Rimfire or centerfire?
    Same thing--lots of rimfire under $300, not many centerfire.

Shotgun? I'm assuming not shotgun--usually you don't hear the term
    "target practice" associated with shotguns, although that's really
    what shooting clays is.

And the question no-one has asked yet--how soon is his birthday?

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I'm thinking he probably doesn't have an AR by reading her post. I'm just sayin'...

Rupa, have any of the recommendations helped you at all? Echo...echo...echo.

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Did I miss the Intro?

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I read this and your intro. You sound like my wife, really. If you want to give him a rifle that will not break the bank, look at a CZ 452. I guess the new model is a 455. If you check out a few shops you may find one for slightly higher than you wished, But your hubby will be blown away. You can also look for a Model 1944 U.S. target gun. I still find them for $175.00..200.00 normally. Stay away from a Ruger 10/22. Biggest money pit on the planet. I know of a Winchester 75. I'm sure the price would be in your range. It is missing the magazine. They sell for $700.00+ these days. I will help find a mag if you are interested. A Marlin 60 is a great choice for a semi. Make sure to scope it as the sights suck. With your budget, a .22lr is where it is at. They are still cheap to feed.

Here is a link to a Mossberg, not a 1944 U.S. model, but gives you an idea.
    Rifles For Sale - Mossberg, O. F. & Sons, Inc. 44US(b) .22 bolt action military trainer - Auction: 9371797 (Ends 01/22/2010, 20:00:56 PST)

11. jpattersonnh

That avatar is disturbing. I hope you don't have sheep!!!

12. stalkingbear

I'd like to know why you say to get a Marlin/Glenfield model 60, and say to stay away from the superior Ruger 10/22?

13. jpattersonnh

IMHO the 10/22 is a money pit. You can dump hundreds into it to make it shoot as well as a Model 60 out of the box. For someone on a budget, the 60 is a better option.

14. stalkingbear

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that then.

15. rupa

rupa New Member

Thx!

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate all the good advice. I bought my husband a Sony music system instead of a gun for his B'day. But we will surely look at all the posts bbefore we go out & buy a gun.
    Thx once again people.
    Rupa.

16. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

No question-The Ruger P95 for several reasons.First off,it's about $300,mine was $350,other have purchased it for $279,either way,it's about $300.Secondly,it's a RUGER-Ruger is an american made quality firearm that even the wives have heard of-so you know it's a good name.Third,the Ruger P95 is a 9mm.A 9mm is the cheapest centerfire ammo you can buy(about $11 per 50)as where .40 and .45 will cost you about $18 per 50.Fourth-a 9mm is a good self defense round with ALOT of self defense choices.You can't go wrong with a Ruger P95 9mm.

17. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Sony?? Shoulda gone with Bose....LOL :D

We'll be here. :D

18. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe New Member

+1 on the ruger p95... got one sitting on my dresser with one in the tube right now... its an amazing gun for the money and i will never part with it as it was a gift from my girl.

Also, i'd like to further question your problems with the 10/22? Ive had mine since i was 5 years old, gifted to me from my father. I have put a wapping 45 dollars on scoping it with a bsa3-9x50 and i hit my mark at 100 yards everytime i squeeze the trigger without exception.

Maybe you bought a used one with a poor bore or something once in your life? Not trying to start a fight or anything, but my 10/22 is one of my favorite guns.... period.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

yeah im just takin a stab since we dont know what he has :)

20. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

You are talking handgun rounds, but she posted this in the LONG GUNS section of the forum. I would assume that means she was looking for a rifle. Either that, or she got really lost...