Plinker question

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by muscledom, Mar 2, 2013.

1. muscledom

muscledom New Member

I wanna get one. I saw one that looked like an MP5 that I like. My question is what brands are good and what are trash. My dad bought a mossberg m16 looking one and it sucks. Can't get three shots off without a jam. He recently got a ruger 1022 that works perfect. I want one that works well and looks cool. Anything to watch out for?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have a Mossberg tactical plinker, it works great for me. Magazine is a little cheesy, but it shoots great.

Has your father tried different types of ammo?

What are the issues? Fail to feed, fail to eject, stovepipe?

3. nixfix

nixfix New Member

Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22, never had any issues with it.

4. muscledom

muscledom New Member

Ummm idk if he's tried different ammo but I cleaned it and it helped a bit. It fails to feed and doesn't eject properly.

5. muscledom

muscledom New Member

Cool thanks

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I shot Blazer and Federal bulk pack ammo in my Mossberg with great results. I think your father's trouble is ammo related.

No doubt the S&W 15-22 is a better gun. The Ruger 10-22 would serve you well also.

7. muscledom

muscledom New Member

Thanks ill let him know. I think we were shooting CPI standard velocity.

8. drtybrd97

drtybrd97 New Member

H&K have an MP5 lookalike and a copy of their 416 that look cool and from what I researched they preform very well too. They are made by Walther and imported by Umarex. I really liked the 416 because it is all aluminum mostly. Feels like you have something in your hand if you know what I mean. The M&P is awesome as well. I got a 10/22 as a Christmas gift and I am very happy with the gun. They are the Honda civic of guns. If you don't like the way it looks buy another stock! There are tons of possibilities with the 10/22.

9. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Try a Sig 522. Mine runs flawlessly no matter what ammo I run through it.

10. moron88

moron88 New Member

right there is likely the issue. with semi autos, you need the recoil of high velocity rounds to get reliable cycling and feeding. some can function reliably with subsonic (standard velocity) rounds but unless they are specified, probably not.

along with the guns already mentioned, you may want to look at the marlin 60/795 (one has a detachable box mag and the other has a tube mag) and savage 64. these arent "tacticool" guns but they are decent, affordable and accurate semi autos made in the usa.

11. muscledom

muscledom New Member

Awesome. Thank you guys so much for the feedback. Very helpful. New to the firearm hobby. Still have A LOT to learn lol

12. gunlinn

gunlinn New Member

Henry lever action. Great plinker,

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife has the S&W 15-22 and she loves it. Works and handles just like an AR including the breakdown. Easiest semi to clean. Pull both pins and it is a take down. The adjustable stock lets it fit a variety of shooters. We shoot spinner targets off hand at 30 yards. The only jam we had was with Velocitors which are pretty hot. It would need a stronger recoil spring for a steady diet of those.

14. AR10

AR10 New Member

Your Wal-Mart may have a 10-22 for about $230. Scheels and Cabelas about the same price.

Can't go wrong with that choice and a thousand ways to customize one. I have 3, all different.

I also like the Colt .22 , looks like an AR. 30 rd mags. Have one, yet to shoot that. I am told they shoot nice. The Colt will set you back more than twice what a stock Ruger 10-22 will