Please tell me if I'm in the wrong!!!!

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by nineguy, Apr 27, 2012.

1. nineguy

nineguy New Member

My wife keeps her xd9 on top of the fridge in the kitchen in plain sight. We have a 5 year old boy who I have extensively explained that "mom and dads guns are not toys"!!!!!!!! And explained the difference between our guns and his and also showed him what they are capable of. With that being said. He has no interest in any of them whatsoever and I know he isn't going to touch them at all. I told my wife that she needs to put put it out of sight!!! But yet it remains up there. Am I wrong for wanting her to keep it out of sight? Personally don't believe I am. Just put it somewhere that is fairly easy to get too if the need arises.

2. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I for one would not keep a loaded gun in plain sight with a small child around, ever. They can be told over and over again to leave them alone but sometimes curiosity gets the better of them. One shot can change your life forever. Can you imagine living with the aftermath of a child's death caused from an accidental shooting involving one of your handguns? This is not to mention the possible legal consequences. I say put that gun away NOW. Why do you feel the need to have a loaded gun immediately available in the house? Does a threat situation exist? If so, that needs to be taken care of. I know some of you might not agree with me but that is my opinion.

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

+100000000000000000000000000000 totally agree. I use to keep a gun in each room of the house hidden in various spots. The day my daughter started crawling they went into the safe, I would have her keep it on her hip if she wants one close by.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Quite telling her & hide the dam thing yourself ----
    Better yet - lock all the guns up- YOU keep one hid you can both get too---
    You have kids in the house !!!

5. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

+1 to all these comments. Ive got a baby boy on the way and have already started to think about all this. I've got a safe coming shortly from my fiances uncle that he doesn't use anymore where all my guns will be stored except for my HD pistol. I've been looking at the wall clocks that have a hidden compartment in them but not quite sure about that yet. Has anyone used one of these?
    I was reading on here somewhere that somebody built a hidden compartment in the wall that is opened by a hidden pressure plate and thought that was a pretty cool idea

6. nineguy

nineguy New Member

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!! I didn't think I was wrong

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

You are VERY right. I would never have a gun laying around with kids in the house. And......they sometimes have friends over and those friends don't know "the rules". I never leave a gun unlocked in my house unless I am carrying it. If something were to happen with your son and that gun, you can never take it back. That would be hell to live with. Absolute hell. Not to mention I think charges of negligence could be pressed against you, which would make it even worse.

Don't just hide the guns, the kids could still find them............LOCK THE GUNS UP IN A SAFE!

If you want a gun in a particular room, use a small safe with a quick open biometric door

8. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i keep my gun on my side when home and if its not on my side i take the mag out and keep it in my pocket or in my safe spot but i can get to both in a hurry if need be,but never together when the kids are around.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Why not google "child killed by handgun in home" or something like that & show her how many times a year it really happens :(
    If that doesn't convince her lock HER ass up ;)

10. Longrange

Longrange New Member

I don't have kids and all of mine except my carry gun are locked up. Lock it up so an accident cannot take your boy away.

11. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I have thought about this situation and I will even go so far as to say leaving loaded firearms in open sight with small children around is just plain irresponsible. Sure, one child might understand that they are not to touch a gun, but what about visiting children? Something is wrong if someone feels the need to have a loaded firearm within immediate reach in their home at all times. That means there is a bad situation that needs to be taken care of. I have several firearms, both rifles and handguns, and they are kept in a safe.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

How tall is your kid that he can see a pistol on top of the 'fridge?

If she needs it out and open, get her a 20 guage shotty with a 20" barrel; the kid couldn't get himself both in front of the barrel and on the trigger (no guarantees on furniture).

I don't have kids, happily.

13. Vincine

Vincine New Member

There are adults who shouldn’t be left alone in a room with a loaded gun:

http://www.abc27.com/story/17666779/va-couple-accidentally-shot-at-gun-safety-class

How long will it be before your child, or one of his friends, can reach the top of the ‘fridge after climbing atop a chair he moved to it? How long will it be before your wife, preoccupied with groceries, a phone call, or something else, moves the gun to the counter just for a minute and forgets about it? Add your own unsual circumstance here.

Keeping a gun safe when everything is 'normal' isn't the job. It's keeping it safe even when things go out of routine that's the job

14. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

No you are not wrong and your wife is being negligent. You can explain something to a 5 year old until you are blue in the face but he is incapable of being rational, he is 5! Do not be lulled by your son's seeming inattentiveness to the gun, children are spontaneous and you and your wife are playing with fire. BTW, it is a felony in many states to leave a loaded gun in a place where it is accessable to a minor. If, God forbid, something were to happen you would not only have to deal with the emotional consequences, you would find yourself with a load of legal problems as well. If your wife does not cooperate, put her gun in a safe and do not allow her to retrieve it until she wises up.

15. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

On top of the fridge in plain sight? How short is the fridge & how tall is your 5 yo? My wife is 5'6" and if I want to hide something, I can just put in "plain sight' on the fridge. She'll never see it.
    Seriously though, It would be safer for all concerned, if she just carried it if she needs it close at hand. Barring that, one of those quick access safes would do the trick. Whatever is decided, it can't just be lying around with crumb crunchers running around.

16. winds-of-change

The child doesn't need to see the gun on top of the fridge. They sometimes climb up there just for the heck of it....and because they can.

As for the shotgun, I wouldn't want to walk into a room to discover a 5 year old pointing a shotgun at me. Even if he can't be at both ends of a shotgun, there may be someone else at the end of that shotgun.

I teach my granddaughter to never touch a gun and then when the lesson is over I lock it in the safe.
    I find this thread interesting. It has been my experience that most women are careful about their children around the guns and the men seem to think hiding a gun or teaching a child not to touch it is good enough to leave a gun in the open.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

18. winds-of-change

Exactly this.

19. gr8wapiti

gr8wapiti New Member

All of my children have been raised around guns, at very young ages they were all taught what guns do (take a kid out and kill a bird or a squirrel and they learn real fast that guns kill), gun safety is taught to them from the time they shot their first bb gun. By age 8 they are taught how to field strip and clean rifles, by age 10 they learn handguns, at age 12 they are enrolled in hunters safety class to be taught gun safety from a professional. Now they are allowed to GO hunting with me, at age 14 they are allowed to carry a rifle and 1 round (in their hand) and after they make their first kill then they are allowed to carry more than 1 round in their rifle and at age 18 they are allowed to carry a handgun also. But at no time are they allowed to handle or use a firearm without supervision, that is rule #1 and it has always been followed. I have 3 children ages 25, 21, and 8 and I have never had an incidence where they have "played" with a gun. If they have a question, they come to me and we address it TOGETHER. They all know guns are tools, very dangerous tools, and are NOT to be handled without me. Most of my guns are in the safe but the house guns are not, those guns are put away out of sight and the kids all know where they are and not to touch them unless they ask. These basic rules and the way I teach the kids are the same rules my dad and my grandfather taught me and there has never been an incident in our family. My thought is that if there is no reason for curiosity then there will be none. Might not be the right way of doing things but it sure does work for us.

20. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Kids are very curious at all ages. They will go to great lengths in gaining access to their wants. Take your wifes gun away from her until she can learn about gun safety.