Please identify this bullet

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by RoflNinja, Nov 14, 2009.

1. RoflNinja

RoflNinja New Member

I found a bullet and i want to know what kind of bullet it is and what gun shot it. Theres markings on the back that i think are called head stamps, WCC16.

[​IMG]

head stamp

[​IMG]

AA battery for reference.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Please go over to the Introductions section and let us know a little about you.

3. 1hole

1hole New Member

That cartridge was made by the Winchester Cartridge Company in 1916 for the military - that's what the head stamp tells us. The round nose bullet appears to be, as it should for military use, a Full Metal Jacket.

The cartridge is almost certainly a .38 Special. You can confirm that by measuring the bullet just in front of the case mouth and the length of the case itself. The diameter should be .357" and the case length should be within a few thousanths of 1.155" if it is a .38. (The .38 designation refers to the approximate full diameter of the loaded case.)

It's perhaps the single most popular revolver cartridge ever made, millions of revolvers in hundreds of models have been chambered for it. Prior to the development of the .357 Magnum (same thing but .1" longer and loaded to higher pressures) the .38 Special was considered a very accurate and "hot" police and self defense round, and it was too.

Ballistically, all todays over-hyped 9mm autos are is a hot loaded .38 Special with light-for-caliber bullets so they are really no better for most purposes than a good .38.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  4. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Off-topic, I know...

The rest of your response was dead-on-point answering the OP's question. And then you went into the desert with this last part. Are you saying that, given two choices of .38spl and 9mm, you'd go with .38?

I suppose your answer, based on the clear diss of 9mm, is that you are .45acp all the way. .45 is clearly one of the best choices given the wide array, but you're casting aspersion on the 9mm compared to the .38spl.

I suppose there really isn't a comparison, anyway, since for the most part, one caliber is for wheel guns and one is for semi-auto, two totally different animals.

But 9mm is on top of the popularity charts for more good, solid reasons than "over-hyping."

Sorry for the hi-jacking of your thread. I'll never do it again.

5. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

I disagree

are you sure its 38 spec.I believe 38 spec did not come out till 1924.It probably a 38 long and the bullet would be over .357.and have a hollow base to fill the .365 bore.I cant see it all I see is a red X in a box.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You derailed this thread further then the person you responded to. He is correct a hot 38 is neck and neck with 9mm. The only advantage a 9mm has it more capacity which wasn't brough up here.
    You again jump the gun with the 45 stuff. Take a breath and let's stick to the question at hand.

7. 1hole

1hole New Member

"...then you went into the desert with this last part. Are you saying that, given two choices of .38spl and 9mm, you'd go with .38?"

Well, I just found the above and as going to respond but Spittinfire coved it quite well.

Facts is facts Chris, no "diss" about it. Light for caliber bullets fired from a .38S or 9mm at virtually the same velocity ARE pretty much the same in effect, are they not?

And I made no reference to what I "go with", did I?

Wildcat, I'm not sure of much of anything but I have an old book saying the "first gun designed to handle the .38 S&W Special" was made by S&W in 1902. ("Complete Guide to Handloading", Phil Sharpe, pg. 408)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, actually, the .38 Smith & Wesson Special was first offered for sale in 1899. It is a lot older than most folks think. It was in the First Model hand Ejector by S&W.

9. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Is everybody SURE that's a "16" and not a "91"??

WCC (Western cartridge Company, merged withWinchester long ago)
    is still in business, and they do load a 150gr? RN 38 Special.

10. 1hole

1hole New Member

I'm comfortable saying it was not made in '91. That case stamping was military and it's been a loong time since anyone made military .38S ammo.

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

You're right. I didn't get my nap that day. :)

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Don't like to be continually contradicting folks, but there IS military 38 Special ammo still being made- for the US. The .38 Special revolver is used by some MP personnel, and some flight crews.

13. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Clipped this from a post on another board--dated 7-09

"Last year about this time, M41 .38 Special was fairly common at surplus ammo dealers and at gun shows, at least here in AZ. I bought a number of boxes of it, and it's all headstamped "WCC 91". The white box is marked
    "50 Cartridges
    Ball
    Caliber .38 M41"

SOOOO---Are you REALLY SURE that's a "16" and not a "91":)

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Air Force still used revolvers til about that time, albeit in limited numbers. I believe the Military headstamped ammo was made well into the 90's. How long ago was it the military switched to the fast twist M-16's, yet you still can get WCC headstamped M-193 5.56 ammo

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

there is still huge stockpiles of .45acp military ammo. the military doesnt offload discontinued supplies lightly or quickly. just remember that the only thing that truly comes close to eternal life are government programs.

16. 1hole

1hole New Member

"there IS military 38 Special ammo still being made- for the US. The .38 Special revolver is used by some MP personnel, and some flight crews."

Okay, knew there may be a small need for .38S ammo but figgered they would just buy commercial stuff for that.
    ---------------------------------------------

"SOOOO---Are you REALLY SURE that's a "16" and not a "91"?

Certainly not sure. All it would require is that WCC was stamped one way and then stamp the numbers up-side down. I suggest anyone who is concerned 'bout me claiming "being sure" read what I actually said. :D

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009