Please Help -- my first gun (9mm)

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by BearArms2, Dec 16, 2011.

1. BearArms2

BearArms2 New Member

Hello, I am in the market for buying a 9mm handgun. I have gone target shooting with my dad at random times since i was about 18 or 19 and now I am living with my girlfriend and would enjoy taking lessons on how to become a better shot. So this gun would not only need to be accurate for the range, but also reliable for home protection (those are my 2 main reasons for this purchase).
    I was told by a local business man that i respect, that a 9mm is great for a beginner like me and for the two main reasons I am looking to buy a guy. Of the items he had in his store, he suggested a few -- and I was hoping to get some help on this forum to help me distinguish between the 5 options and select the best one for me.
    He had the Taurus PT 92, FN FNX-9, Beretta 92, S&W M&P 40 and the Glock Gen 4.
    While price surely doesnt hurt things (the Taurus being the cheapest of the 5 he suggested), i would only use that if all other things were equal....these all fall into my general price range for what he was asking. I need the gun to be safe and reliable. Something that is good for me to practice with but also something I can use at home if I ever find myself in the situation where I would need to defend my home.
    If anyone can offer some help, reviews, tips, suggestions, comments, etc on any or all of these guns listed, i would very much appreciate it -- and I thank you in advance for even reading this lengthy post. Have a wonderful day!

2. will_reed

will_reed New Member

Between those five I would suggest going with whichever feels best in your hand. If you have a local range that rents handguns, see what they have that you can take for a test drive too...

3. BearArms2

BearArms2 New Member

are you saying that because they are all close in terms of reliability, accuracy, etc?? does any one or two stand out to you?

4. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Find a range that has rentals... And see if you can include a Springfield XDM in the mix to try. Literally, one will jump out at you as feeling comfortable.

5. Werminator

Werminator Member

If I may add to the mix, the Ruger SR9 was my first pistol purchase and I haven't regretted that buy at all... For the same reasons as you, I went this route and it has treated me well...

6. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

Like the others have said, go test drive a few. I've heard that a Taurus is sometimes a pain to field strip. If you're going to use just for the range, I think the Beretta would be good. If you're going to carry I'd go with something different. I have 2 Glocks and I like them. Good luck.

7. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

I second the Beretta. I think it's a great gun and it won't let you down. A lot of people on here are also S&W fans and I can't deny they make a nice handgun as well. I'd say if you had to pick one not to buy, stay away from Taurus. It's a love or hate kind of thing but even the people that love them can't deny their shady reputation. Play it safe for the first one.

8. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

Could not have said it better.

9. BearArms2

BearArms2 New Member

I was told the Taurus has a warranty for the lifetime of the gun---so if i sell it later, they get that warranty -- id think this would give it solid resale value as long as i took care of it....is that correct? do any other guns offer that or have a good resale value??

Thanks for all the great posts!!

10. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

Taurus firearms are very hit and miss and can sometimes be hard to sell because of that. I would suggest the beretta as my personal choice of those firearms great quality and very accurate and easy to use

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Out of the five options you listed, I'd pick the Beretta. I have a special fondness for it, but make sure you can hold onto the stinkin thing. I scored expert 3 times in a row with it while in the service, even using the crappy issued ammo, but I had to readjust my grip after every 3rd or 4th shot because I just couldn't get my hand around it that well.

12. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

I wonder if they will come up with plastic surgery to make your hands larger? :confused:

13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I'd say glock 19. Or glock 26 which is smaller and suits your gf.
    Most importantly.. you or ur gf must feel good and comfortably holding it. ;)

14. will_reed

will_reed New Member

Yes, I have owned all except the FN. I had no issues with either.

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

I like the gun enough that it would almost be worth it to me to do such a thing. :)

16. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I'm going to play bad guy and say I don't like the Beretta. Carried one for 4 years and as a duty gun once since getting off active duty. I have to admit it never let me down as far as reliability...I just don't like the feel and think it is way too big for the round it shoots...and I'm not a fan of da/sa handguns. I carry a Glock both on and off duty now and love them. Also a big M&P fan. Just go see which one you like the feel of. Do yourself a favor and spend a little more to stay away from the Taurus.

17. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

With whatever one you chose try and find a 22 cal that is very close in size and weight - - - you can then burn up a lot of rounds in practice and not break the bank.

Put a couple of hundred rounds thru the 22 then at the end of your shooting put a couple of mags thru your 9mm - - - A lot of fun and also great for training the new girl friend!

18. phburks

phburks New Member

I just got a Springfield XD sub compact 9mm and I love it. Its a joy to shoot. And 9mm ammo is relatively cheap so shooting a lot wont break the bank.

19. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I would include the Ruger SR9 or SR9c and the Springfield XDm to that list.

20. BearArms2

BearArms2 New Member

are you suggesting to only buy the 22cal or buy two guns??
    how much different is the cost in ammo between the 22 and 9?