please answere me this.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Zamzow, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Zamzow

Zamzow New Member

My buddy has a nice Sig p220 st. He kills me though when he goes out and buys a scope for it. What is that all about. Why and who does that. Seriously a scope on a hand gun. Really???

Zamzow

2. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

Unless he is shooting competitively, I can't see a use for it. Sometimes on revolvers for hunting but that's it. How does he plan on mounting it on a sig?

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Whoa......wait a minute. Wait just a dog gone minute. :D

Check out my avatar. I have a scoped Ruger Mark II pistol that might be my most favorite gun to shoot. It is NOT a self defense or home defense gun. It is my plinking/target gun and I can't tell you the countless hours that gun has brought me a whole lot of fun. Ask Stalkingbear......I can shoot the snot out of a clay pigeon set on the ground at 50 yards with that thing.

On the other hand, I would never scope a self defense or home defense gun. That makes no sense at all for more than one reason.

How does your friend use his P220? Okay, I just looked up the specs on this gun and saw it was chambered in .45 ACP. Yep, I agree. I can't figure out why someone would scope a gun like that unless, as Smooth says, he shoots it competitively.

4. Polygon

Polygon New Member

As has been stated, people do it all the time. They do it for competition, target, and even hunting. If he's not doing any of those things with it, it's pretty silly.

5. oli700

oli700 New Member

With all the guns in the city you think this wouldn’t be a new concept to you

[​IMG]

they shoot great, and kill even better

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I've put quite a few on handguns for several reasons---

7. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

Seems like everyone has them mounted on either revolvers or there .22's that don't have moving slides. The only time I could see it being viable on that sig would be for competitive shooting since you would have to get a side mount etc and then manipulating the slide would be difficult.

8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

People put scopes on long-slide competition guns, big bore hunting revolvers, and target rimfires all the time...often with excellent results.

But scoping a service style 45acp seems pretty odd to me.

9. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Id say its silly on a ccw or home defense gun. Ive got a buddy with a .460 revolver with a scope.

10. winds-of-change

Thank you so much for clarifying that. I totally forgot that gun has a moving slide. I still have so much to learn. *embarrassed*

11. gr8wapiti

gr8wapiti New Member

Lets see...........a 225gr JHP loaded with 6.7 grains of Unique (max load) travels at 883 fps, would this bullet have a flat trajectory out of a handgun, that probably has a 4" bbl, to justify a scope? Uh, not in my opinion. If your buddy feels the need for something to aid in his target acquisition have him try a lazer or maybe just some good old range time.

12. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

To each his own when it comes to firearms and sights. There is generally no right or wrong as long as the shooter is safe with it.

13. oli700

oli700 New Member

The good scope mounts attach to the frame. Only lightweight reflex sights should be mounted to the slide.......They are light enough not to affect the action of the slide and are less apt to failure from the violent shock they are subject to being slide mounted. I would like to think no one would mount a scope on a slide just on common since alone...:)

14. winds-of-change

Be patient with me. I am learning every day. I didn't know how a scope would mount on a semi-auto with a slide. I'm telling you, just assume I know nothing because I usually don't. [​IMG]

15. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Silly? Some of us aren't blessed with the same great vision we had when we were 18.
    So, anyway, why can't it just be for the fun of it? Simple fact: Optics make any gun easier to shoot accurately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, its not the best place to put glass but there are mounts these days to allow it- I've had a couple J-Points on 1911 style guns but the only "scope" i've had on one was frame mounted- something i'll never do again :eek:

17. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I apologize, I didn't even think of that. And there's nothing wrong with doing it for the fun of it either.

18. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

A red dot scope is quicker to pick up a target than open sites, in my experience. Handle one on a firearm, you might be surprised.

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, opinions vary on this - As i mentioned i had a couple of J-Point reflex sights (NOT a scope) - I think I was quicker to pick up the target with them but it took practice - I really dont think a red dot scope is near as fast to pick up :eek: I guess the key word is practice with whatever you have ;)

20. oli700

oli700 New Member

oh, I didnt mean that bad toward you , or anyone for that matter.