play in cylinder on one chamber?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by old fart, Nov 21, 2011.

1. old fart

old fart Member

i have a taurus 605, i have had it since december 2010. when i bought it i checked cylinder gap, and tightness by cocking and keeping my finger on trigger while lowering hammer once. all cylinder holes line up with barrel perfect and the gun is more accurate than i thought snubbies are supposed to be. there is no trouble firing or ejecting 38 or 357's, i was watching you tube earlier and a guy said to check each chamber for lockup tightness. i decided to check mine, 4 lockup with the welded to the frame strength but one has slight play. nothing back to front just a tad up - down as i try and turn the cylinder. i thought if one is tight all should be but i was wrong. what would cause one place to have movement?, and will it hurt anything? i sure would hate to send it in cause it works great and is my only handgun, but i don't want to hurt it or run into trouble in a defense situation. thanks for any help.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

IMO, if it works, then don't fix it.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There are 5 separate cuts on the star (rachet) on the rear of the cylinder. Try scrubbing that area well, check again.

And while this may sound like heresy, if it is shooting well, leave it be. The funnel shape of the forcing cone is designed to feed a bullet into the barrel that is not aligned to .0000000000000001.

4. GunDoc

GunDoc New Member

+1 that it's likely an out-of-spec ratchet, but it may be coupled with an out-of-spec slot for the cylinder lock/stop. As long as it's not spitting lead and shoots well I encourage you leave both areas alone other than keeping them clean. If you try to peen them you can make a much bigger problem.

The accurate method of checking cylinder alignment is a range rod with a proper caliber head. If you find the pistol starts spitting have each cylinder checked. Many times the best cure is to cut a little wider and more gradual forcing cone for one or two slightly out of range cylinders. If the majority are out of range a bit more work is involved.

5. old fart

old fart Member

i looked real close at the cuts on the star and they look even and all look the same. i think its just the cut in my cylinder is larger on one spot. it doesn't spit lead and has a real close cylinder to barrel gap, i gues as long as the play isn't bad it would be better to leave things alone.

6. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

If it shoots okay you should be just fine. I have seen lots of cylinders that have more play in some positions than others. There should never be a lot of play or sloppiness but ever-so-slight movement is not unusual.

7. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Read the "How To Buy A Used Revolver" in the Knowledge Base section. Yoy should find most of the info you need there. It also has photos.

Jim...........

8. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Quit watching Youtube!