Plated SWC?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ninjatoth, May 20, 2016.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I recently got a titanium cylinder .38 which I hear is a no-go for lead bullets due to lead removal and solvents ruining the titanium and need some info on plated lead bullets. I am looking to just switch from my go to 158gr LSWC to an identical plated SWC but there is no data on such loads.

right now the powder I have that would be usable on such a load is TiteGroup and Win 231. Would you think it would be safe to just load the max charge as if it was a Lead SWC and just use the plated?

Titegroup for instance lists the max charge on a standard 158gr .38spl LSWC at 3.8gr, then lists the 158gr XTP starting charge at 3.9gr. I know an XTP and SWC are totally different but in my mind either the max for a lead load or the min for a jacketed load would fit the bill for a plated 158gr SWC. What is your guys' opinions on this?

2. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

I never heard that before. Why would copper and lead solvent be any less than a lead only solvent? Who makes a lead only solvent? The plated bullets are all lead as well.
    Titanium has been around since 1791. It is used in aircraft engines and oil field heat exchanger tubing to name a few uses. These uses require very high heat and low corrosion levels. Another Urban Legend has risen?:D

3. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

All I know is that the no lead bullets issue came from what's stamped on the barrel and the research I put into it that told me why lead bullets are no good in this gun.

Attached Files:

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Use lead bullet data for plated bullets.:)

5. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

Humm? You must be new to handguns? That is a maximum caliber designation on your fire arm. If you push a lead bullet above 1,500 fps which you can not in that gun it may lead. What would you do with a S&W Mdl. 27 marked .357 Magnum? Never ever fire a .38 Special in it?
    Lead bullets of a 5 to 7 BHN are usually loaded to around 1,000 fps. Lead bullets of a 12 BHN Linotype and gas checked can run at 2,000 fps. The coated lead bullets are restricted to 1,200 fps. No gas checks and low BHN. :)

6. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

New to handguns? Please.

You must be the one new to handguns to think that leading cannot occur in rounds under 1,500fps, I have leaded the crap out my revolvers before with even your average 10 BHN in medium 38spl loads. I was showing my barrel stamp because it says "jacketed", there is a reason for that stamping and my searches time and time again give the reason why which I already explained.

7. Mercator

Mercator New Member

The way I read it, jacketed refers to +P. They may be saying it to ward off the possible complaints about excessive leading, and possibly the structure damage and injuries from overpressure. Knowing that "some" people will load +P to dangerous levels.

BTW forcing gone leading is a hillary to clean up. I don't know if the Lewis device and such are ok for Ti.

8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I have done a little more research and the consensus is split 50/50 on why S&W did no want lead rounds through this gun. Half of the people believe that it is due to leading and lead removal could damage the coating on the titanium.

The other half believe that it's not due to titanium at all, it's due to the light weight of the gun and with lead being more "slippery" than copper, there's more chance of bullets jumping the crimp with lead +P loads.

But who knows, I figured since the copper plated 158gr SWC's are about the same price as the identical bullet in hard cast lead, why not just get plated. I feel like loading them the same as lead would be fine, I just worry about the extra friction so I will load them to the max listed charge on a STANDARD pressure lead recipe. I should be ok right?

9. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Right. I've never heard of a warning against all lead bullets as such on a titanium revolver. It just wouldn't make sense. Besides, the barrel is steel, isn't it.

Commercial FMJs are so close in price to the LRNs, I don't bother with lead anymore. Friction is not an issue except with the 22s (And even then it's about reliability and match accuracy, not safety)

That said the gun manual has the last word. Thankfully not everything there is to know (yet) is etched on the gun :)

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

captmidnight You do have an option to run hi-tek coated bullets . No lube /lead in the fingers and the coatings easy on all bores and cylinders . You could never get enough velocity out of a 357 snubby to worry about them . Prices tend to be as good as old school lead unless you making your own .

It does look to be a 357mag lite bullet issue . Beside high velocity 38sp +P out of a snubby is an oxymoron anyhow !! The loads your looking to use are what I have used and they are mild by any standard using 158gr .

I would worry more about cleaning than shooting in a titanium cylinder .

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I run Rainier 158 grain plated bullets in 38 spl. I load to max lead but not +P. I have run them through my 357 rifle with no leading or plating problems. The Rainier 357 158 grain PHP have impressive expansion in a water jug or several and look just like an expanded jacketed bullet. The plating is thick. I tried a some 125 grain PHP using jacketed loading specs and had no apparent problems. I shot them in a 357 revolver and rifle. I have also loaded the 9mm 124 grain to jacketed data with no problems. Max but not +P. I think the lead specs are a CYA.

12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I'm thinking about going with the X-Treme bullets 125gr plated HP's(.357") because it seems like a good all around weight for my snubbies for both .38 and .357 loads.

Problem is that I can't find any reload data for that type of bullet with either the Titegroup or Win 231 powder that I intend to use. How close would a generic 125gr HP be to lets say a 125gr XTP bullet? If the distance from the cannelure to base of the bullet is the same couldn't I pretty much use XTP reload data?

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes. But work up from starting load as always.