Plated bullets?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by string1946, Mar 19, 2014.

1. string1946

string1946 New Member

I have a bunch of 9mm brass, powder and primers and want to make up some loads for just plinking on the range and maybe some to run through my subgun. It looks like plated bullets can be had for $100/1000 or so. Does anyone have any experence with one brand or another and would you use them again?

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Berries bullets are whats available around here, and seem to work fine. I dont shoot at paper very often so I couldnt tell u the groups though

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have used Berry's Plated bullets will good results. I have shot a lot of them.

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Rainier Bullets are OK. I've used them in .357 & 9 mm with good results. I used to grab them from Midway when they had a decent sale on them.
    I've use HSM plated in .40 & .45 with satisfactory results. HSM (Hunter's Supply, if I'm not mistaken) are available off the shelf here locally. They weren't really much cheaper than jacketed in a store.
    I still use plated on occasion, mostly because I have some on hand. I haven't been inclined to buy any plated lately.
    IMHO, they're neither fish nor fowl. They perform similar to cast bullets (lighter charges), but with a cost near that of cheap jacketed.
    Have a look at Precision Delta before you order the plated bullets. For similar money they sell proper jacketed bullets. When I get around to it, I will be ordering some 9mms from them. Their biggest issue used to be finding what you needed in stock. They appear to have progress in that area.
    http://precisiondelta.com/index.php/products/bullet/9mm.html/
    FWIW, I happily use mostly cast in all my handguns (.380, 9mm, .38/.357, .40, .45.)
    Check with Missouri Bullets if cast interests you:
    http://www.missouribullet.com/
    They were swamped for a while but last I heard, they had grown enough to keep up with the "big panic" pace of sales. They used to have crazy fast delivery. However, I think with the recent growth, it's down to saner, but still satisfactory levels.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  5. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I use Rainier for my 45's. For plinking they work great...

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Midway had some decent deals on .355 FMJ bullets. They had smaller packages but you had to buy 3,000 to get a very attractive price. They had a good deal on Hornady non expanding HP bullets.

7. spot08

spot08 New Member

Rocky mountin reloading has some great deals on plated

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Firearms Talk mobile app

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Midway has em in stock right know for 1.4 cents a piece..............

9. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I've used Rainier plated bullets in my 1911 (45 acp) with good results. Just make sure to load them with cast bullet data. NOT jacketed.

10. string1946

string1946 New Member

Thanks to everyone that responded. It doesn't sound like there is much advantage of using plated over cast other than maybe less leading if loaded on the warm side. I do shoot cast in some of my handguns and cast my own a lot of the time. I usually use Lyman #2 alloy which is 1 lb. of 50/50 bar solder and 9 lbs. of clip on wheel weights. Actually I need to get my metal detector out and go find some of my wheel weights. I had a old wheelbarrow full of weights and they covered them up with dirt by accident when they was building my house. I know about where they are and they couldn't be more than a foot or two down. I have another pile thats just under some pine straw so they are easy to get to. They should last me as long as I will need lead. I used to buy casted bullets from a company called Valiant Bullets out of Bynum, AL but don't know if they are still in business. I included a picture of some 250 gr .44 mag. gas checked, 250 gr 45 colt and 400 gr 45-70 hammers that I casted. Speaking of gas checks, I have loaded some shot cartridges for my 44 by figuring out what the pay load would weigh and picking a suitable powder and dropping a gas check cup up over the powder, dropping in the shot and then another gas check cup down and a slight roll crip to keep everything in place. The Precision Delta site looks interesting. 4K 9mm jacketed bullets for $372 delivered. I may have to give those a try. Thanks again everyone. Happy shooting.

Attached Files:

11. msup752

msup752 New Member

There is a huge advantage to using plated bullets.
    The barrel stays cleaner, there is no exposed lead that can get on your hands or in the air. It can be pushed to higher velocities although not to FMJ speeds.
    I used to use Ranier and now often get berries.
    I use standard FMJ load data for 9mm and .45. I used to push 357 Sig bullets in the 1400 FPS range with Power Pistol and never had any jacket issues but it is not recommended to push a 9mm round that fast. My point is if I can push it to that speed for thousands of rounds, then standard 1200 fps 9mm loads are unlikely to be a problem with plated bullets.
    For plinking, plated offers the safety of no lead exposure without the cost of FMJ!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had good luck with Rainiers in .45 ACP, .45 Colt and .38special.

But I can buy Remington FMJ in 9MM in cases of 2000 for so very little more that I've switched to them exclusively.

13. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

I also use and would recommend x-tream plated bullet they are made in Reno Nevada I have used several thousand from 38 to 40 and 223 and 9

EZ

14. string1946

string1946 New Member

I took Overkill0084's advice and ordered some Precision Delta 124 gr. JHP's and am very pleased with their product and deliver was just 3 or 4 days. Very fast. You have to order 4000 to get the volume discount but thats cool. Now I need to order something else. Thanks Overkill. Loaded ammo is a beautiful thing.

Attached Files:

15. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Happy to help.
    Enjoy.