plated ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by colmustard, Nov 13, 2010.

1. colmustard

colmustard New Member

So I was looking for some ammo to reload and came across some plated rounds on midways site. I have only loaded fmj hollow points for my .45. sp my question is, what is it, and is it a better value than standard fmj? Thank you

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have shot thousands rounds of Rainier plated bullets and never had a problem. Mostly 38 spl and 9mm.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

my reloading for 45acp is almost exclusively 230 grn fmj plated bullets. i have found them to be every bit as or not more accurate than the standard jacketed rounds. i really like the fact they have plated bases and i dont have to worry about lead contact as much.

all my oh sht zombies!! 1911 mags have em.

i give them 5 thumbs up!!

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

In a recent survey, nine out of ten violent criminals prefer to be shot with plated bullets. I say go for it. ;)

5. Logan2302

Logan2302 New Member

The only time I shot a significant amount of plated bullets was in a Beretta 92, and a Glock 17. I was using factory ammo and spit out about 100 rounds from each on the same day.

When I got back home, the Glock barrel came clean with a nylon bore brush, but the Beretta barrel was fouled so badly I had to use a steel wool wrapped brass bore brush. I've never bought another plated bullet since.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

the only drawback of plated is higher speed my last order had a warning to keep velocity of the 230grn under 1000fps or fouling can occur. not sure what the rating for 38cal is

7. CA357

I understand plating cases for easier feeding and ejection, but what is the point of plating bullets?

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

it was originally created to cheaply comply with range restrictions on indoor ranges that wouldnt allow exposed lead base bullets and outdoor range restrictions on exposed lead bullets. electrolysis is a very cheap way to cover lead bullets. they are only slightly more pricey than lead cast bullets and can be used in lead free indoor ranges.

personally i like em cuz i dont have to handle lead as much or wear gloves to do so. heavy metal poisoning sucks.

9. CA357

I see, thanks.

10. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Make that two for plated bullets in .45acp. I have not had any problems with them.

11. RaySendero

RaySendero Member

I reload plated bullets in both 357 and 45 acp for practice.
    Use Factory ammo for SD carry.

12. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Ok it looks like plated is safe to use. Thanks alot you all.

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

When using platted bullet you want to keep the velocities down to lead levels. That means use the reloading data for cast lead bullets. You will have good nice shooting loads that are accurate.

I use 200 gr Plated
    5gr Titegroup
    mixed brass
    what ever primer I have on hand.

14. 1919A4

1919A4 New Member

I've just started reloading .40 S&W with Ranier plated bullets and the results are excellent.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

45 acp 230 grain loads dont get going fast enough out of a 5inch barrel to cause any fouling issues with plated rounds. 38 special is the same thing. 9mm 357mag can get going fast enough to cause fouling problems.

16. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I like using plated bullets. You can push them faster than cast lead without the associated leading. No issues with copper fouling in my .357s, but I'm not near max.

17. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I like plated bullets because you aren't handling lead as much and they can be used at any range. I also like them because the reduce leading in the barrel and the price between plated and lead is minimal. I'm going to echo Tango and say you need to keep the velocity down with plated ammo and your loads should be on par with cast bullets.
    I use only Rainer bullets for my 45 and 38 range loads but for my magnum loads I use a jacketed bullet.

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Another +1 for plated.

The Speer Gold Dots are plated, and then machined. Plating helps keep the jacket from separating from the lead, apparently.

19. Missileman

Missileman New Member

I reload plated 200gr SWC exclussively in .45 ACP--5.3 grains of WW231 or HP-38 (same powder) is a great practice rounds, and move up to 5.7 grains and you make major for IPSC competition.

20. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've loaded a bajillion Rainier rounds in 9mm, 40, and 45ACP. So far so good. Guess I'll keep going :)