PlastiDipping grips?

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by BeyondTheBox, Oct 14, 2012.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Has anyone done this yet?

I've got buddies who've done it to their rims on their cars and looked great, they said was easy. I've got others who do it to every tool they own. I've heard, elsewhere that it's a great thing to do to plastic gun grips and have wanted to for a long while.

I hate plastic grips, slippery and uncomfortable, so I bought a can of the PlastiDip spray in black a while ago and was going to do to my JA-Nine grips, being a cheapo gun and cheap item to replace. Then I gave it to my brother, so now I'm doing it to my HP22 and JA22.

Just sprayed 'em down 15min ago, plan on doing several coats, will let y'all know how it comes out. Was just curious if anyone else has done it.

I've seen others fail, because they didn't allow proper amount of drying time, and one even used pumice grit, but I want comfortable rubberized grips, not skin-scraping sandpaper grips. So I ignored that process.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Alright, so after seven coats on two sets of grips I'm loving the outcome. I went a little heavy on some of the coats and worry that I didn't give enough time to properly set and adhere on them. The can says minimum 30min, however the Tech Tips says 4 hours for best performance. Big dif! I gave 1 hour between coats, and last coat overnight. They feel nice and tacky, great grip, also even slightly cushioned, which was what I really wanted. Hopefully they'll last a while. Still have about half a can left so may do a few more coats later for desired feel, but overall I'm very satisfied. The grooves and checkered patterns were maintained as the liquid form sat well before hardening. I highly reccommend this product for those whom wish to give a nice firm but soft feeling grip to their stock plastics.

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Pics brother Pics !!!!!!

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IME, the dip is soft, and doesn't stand up to regular wear and tear.

Have you tried some Hogue grips?

5. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I've heard that too, but such was experience from those whom only let sit for about 10-15min. I thought it worth the try. Will trst them out in actual shooting conditions and pocket carry soon.

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I don't think so, I left this dip dry well past the time per instructions.

But have fun. Lets see what you think, in a couple weeks...

7. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Hmmmm did you use dip or spray on?

8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

What was the result which led you to determine it didn't stand up to wear and tear? Did it peel?

9. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Alright, going to test them today. Going to both archery and gun ranges and hiking the trails at the archery range with my gun in my pocket. So lots of wear, lets see just how much tear it creates. Will do before and after pictures and post.

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I used the dip.

Let's see how it looks after a couple

weeks. Mine were magnets for

dirt, also.

11. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

The spray is awesome! Held up nicely so far, with small exception where I didn't allow one coat to sit properly on back side, but I clipped slight fray and is good so far. We'll see how it hopds for the next few weeks. As far as lint mag, oh yeah, but that I care nothing about, at all.

Now if only the newest gun I put it on would stop having issues!!! Hahahaha oh well, project!

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

So the stuff, when sprayed correct and covering the edges around to the bottom side, is awesome! After initial job I sprayed one last coat and got it wrapped around to the underside which held up great through carrying and good use three times shooting.

However, a problem that did occur, is that this stuff does not like solvent. I spray my guns down completely with brakekleen after use each time and it just eats right through this PlastDip. Hahaha my hands were pure black and I didn't even spray them directly, just drips across them caused it.

So, if you're thinking of doing this, don't hesitate, just be sure that you get a full coating top, bottom, edges and around to the underside, and do not get cleaning solution on it.

Its still there, but there are tiny divots all over where the drops ran down it and bled. Hahaha I'm going to do another couple coats to repair and next time be careful with the cleaning.

Hahahaa

13. weapon

weapon New Member

Spray on or brush on truck bed liner works. I coated the grip of my Glock 21 with it and it is much easier to hold onto now. Most chain auto parts stores will have the duplicolor or similar version in a spray on can for around $10-$12 per can which is enough to do several guns. It sprays on really thick so I usually have a brush or sponge to move it around, add a little extra texture and get rid of the excess. After it dries for 24 hours, it resists most gun solvents fairly well.

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yeah, but its not rubbery at all. I've seen it used and it provides an extremely thick grit sandpaper-like feel. My goal here was for rubbeization. This PlastiDip is it. I redid my grip and covered all angoes to the bottom amd its holding much, much nicer. Love the feel.

15. weapon

weapon New Member

It depends on which bed liner you get. Some of them lean towards the gritty sandpaper texture where others have more of a rubber feel to them. The thickness of the coating and how you texture it when applying it will have a lot to do with the final feel as well. I refinished my Glock 23 grip with a few coats of bed liner and it has a definite rubber like quality to it. Also, you can add micronized rubber particles to some of the bed liner coatings which increases the texture and the rubber feel of the grip.

16. Sdamiani

Sdamiani New Member

I used the Rustoleum bed liner on my truck 2 years ago during thanksgiving. Held up wonderfully, so when I had a duracoating mishap on my aluminum AR7, I decided to bedline it with what I had left. Ended up spraying it with a camo pattern, but even still, after 6 months of fairly heavy use (I've used it in a couple of carbine matches), the bedliner has yet to show much wear. Only spot I've had to touch up was where the bolt cycles back.

I probably wouldn't suggest it for expensive guns, but for my application (protecting a cheap-ish gun) its worked almost flawlessly.

17. regload

regload Member

Hate to dash cold water on anything, but please save your raves for spray-on plasti-dip for a few months. I tried the stuff, which was great initially. Then began carrying the revolver in my pocket every day. After a few weeks the coating began to peel off. Now, none of it is left. I intend to co-mold a set of urethane rubber grips using the originals to make the master mold. A company called Aluminite sells the stuff, A test mold of nothing important came out well. Will do the full grips (new from mold) in the near future.

18. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I welcome others' opinions and experiences. So far they've held up great. Again as stated previously, it only works when you coat the underside a bit in the last couple coats. That way it pins the top coat under the grip and against the frame.