plastic 45?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by shataway, Apr 29, 2012.

1. shataway

shataway New Member

OK here is the question,fellas.We all love the 1911.But,if you had to choose a plastic piece.What brand would it be?I have often wondered if i had to choose which would it be?Lets hear it.

2. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

At the moment I own two plastic pieces lol. A XDm .45 and an FNH FNP-9. And to be honest right now I've been leaning towards the FNH. Just feels better in the hand. I'm waiting to get my first 1911 but I was in the gun store yesterday holding quite a few different models and they all feel better in the hands than any other pistol. Very shortly the 1911 will probably be the only gun I shoot and the rest will just sit in the safe and collect dust:/

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I wouldn't unless I simply didn't have a choice. I'd honestly rather carry a pointed stick. BUT!!! If I had to choose between carrying a piece of tupperware and dying, I'd take the M&P. I like the looks of the xd, but haven't shot one. GLOCK is out of the question, and I like walthers too.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Take a wild guess :)

[​IMG]

5. cuba

cuba New Member

I would take the XD tactical 45 or the Rock River Arms poly 1911
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

glock or an xd preferrebly glock.

7. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Upmarket: H&K USP.45
    Bargain priced: Witness Polymer.
    No one said it had to be a striker fired gun.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

True & beats a Glock :D

9. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

My choice is the m&p followed closely by glock.

10. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

I used to own a H&K USP. Had it for close to 15 years before it was moved aside for the 1911's...
    If I ever went back to polymer frame, it would be another USP.

11. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Although, to be fair, I would also take a long hard look at the SA XDM line too. Have been very impressed with those too.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

my main edc is a xdm compact in 45acp. for a full size polymer 1911... i would be interested in a rra 1911. the main issue with carrying everyday is weight. the more a gun weighs the less comfy it is. replacing steel with plastic or aluminum is a good thing for a gun that is going to be exposed to sweat everyday.

the real issue with taking a handgun on a weight loss diet by replacing steel is increased recoil. but its a tradeoff between speed and weight.

i shoot my xdm MUCH MUCH faster with better accuracy at speed than i do my all steel 1911's. so for me the xdm is a no brainer

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Springfield Armory XDm or XD of course, with the Walther P99 following closely behind!

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I already got one, my LCR.

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I prefer metal framed pistols and like 1911s plenty. But I have to confess that polymer has always treated just fine.

I have an XDm45 and will soon add the XDs45. I used to have an XD45 service model, which I was quite happy with. So I suppose Springfield XD/Xdm is my preference.

But most of the others (Glock, SW, FN, etc) are plenty fine. I have a G27. The trigger isn't my favorite and the grip angle (and resulting sight picture) annoys me. But the thing just runs, and it seems to hit anything I ask it to.

Most of the polymer pistols are really good guns. It's just about what fit and features the individual shooter prefers. Like I said, some things about Glock annoy me. And I know it's sometimes popular to dis on Glock. They'll never be my go-to, but they've also always performed really well for me.

16. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

If I had to go to a polymer piece it would probably be the Springer XDM. I have shot it and it feels better to me that most other plastic pieces.

Currently I own classic series Sigs and my STI 1911. I like the pistol to aborb the recoil and I like the weight of an all metal pistol.

17. msup752

msup752 New Member

I have owned Glocks, H&K and currently an XDM in 45. I never liked the grip of the H&K nor the cost of accessories. The Glock 21 grip was too big for me. The Springfield XDM grip is longer and slimmer than the Glock. I do not like the grip safety as is must be engaged to manipulate the slide. It shoots well and looks nicer than Glocks. The accessories are cheaper as well. Spare mags are often $23 and are stainless.
    Having said all off that, I'm currently selling it to purchase a suppressor.

18. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Beretta PX4 Storm .45acp

I bought my first polymerpistol in 2008, and have never look back it's a mighty fine pistol it is always in the bag when I go to the range. It has been very reliable never a problem with several 1,000's rounds of everything from wadcutters to 185gr. HP +P so I have nothing but good to say about mine. I copied this from Beretta: "The Px4’s unique rotating barrel and locking system dissipates recoil energy radially, reducing felt recoil and muzzle rise.", so in the hands of a person with skills it's is very accurate. I can double tap better with it myself, the trigger breaks like glass after the first shot and then it's a 2 1/2 lb trigger pull. I really enjoy shooting the PX... but it's no 1911.

[​IMG]

19. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

I don't own plastic guns unless in .22.

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

And you felt the need to share that on a 45acp thread WHY :confused: