Places to Shoot in WI

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Gun Forum' started by active, Oct 12, 2014.

1. active

active New Member

Hello,
    I am new here, I am moving to Chicago in November from Nevada. I was wondering if anyone could help me out on where to go shooting? Out here in Nevada it is very free, we can drive off any road and shoot into the desert. 75% of Nevada is public land where we can shoot machine guns and do whatever we want.
    Is there anywhere like this in Wisconsin? or do people go to paid indoor/outdoor ranges?
    Is there anywhere I can go hike around with a rifle and set up my own targets and just shoot and not be bothered?

Thank you very much!
    Sam

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Chicago is in Illinois.

You will need to find a gun or sportsmans club at which to shoot. While the Midwest may have a lot of public hunting land, random shooting is rarely allowed.

Where exactly do you plan to reside?

3. active

active New Member

yeah I will be living in downtown Chicago but I am ok with driving to Wisconsin or Iowa to shoot. I figured there wouldn't be many options in the midwest, I will probably only shoot once every 4 months instead of every week.
    Its too bad they don't encourage more shooting in the midwest, if you're allowed to own guns they should encourage training, otherwise you end up with tons of gun owners that don't know how to use all their guns.
    I'm sure most ccw owners in Nevada practice more than most police in chicago. :rolleyes:

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually just about every community in WI has a gun or sportsman's club, so shooting regularly is not hard to do if you are a member. There are even a few municipal gun ranges scattered around.

However, I have avoided IL like the plague, cannot help you there.

5. active

active New Member

yeah i googled a couple of outdoor ranges. I'll just have to get the feel of it when i get there.

Just wondering if there is any open land areas? like where do people rabbit hunt and hike round shooting? Is that very controlled or can you just go out into a field of public land and hunt coyotes and rabbits?

Please bare with me if i sound stupid, i honestly don't know anything about hunting/shooting in the midwest.

6. rlsimonis

rlsimonis New Member

Depends what you want to shoot, but i recommend Milford Hills. You can look up doing a google search. Nice facility

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would think that there plenty of targets in Chicago (j/k)

8. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a range out back of my shop that goes out to 200 yards. Problem is, sometimes I need to wait until I can get to use my shooting bench. :D

[​IMG]