Places to get milsurp guns, part by part?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Garandman1945, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

I collect historic/milsurp guns, and recently on a trip to my LGS was very tempted by a Russian capture Kar98k for $375. The bore was good and the gun was in good overall shape, but since it was a Russian capture, the bolt had two or three mismatching serial numbers on it. I was tempted as Germany is one of the only countries not (yet) represented in my WWII collection, but I didn't go for it... I just remember seeing a post online by a guy who put together a lee-enfield mk4 out of parts for $150 total. I figured if I was going to have something mismatched, I ought to look into getting it much cheaper than $375.

Does anyone know good places to buy parts of milsurps for this kind of thing?

(PS: I put the kar98 on hold until Friday in case I changed my mind on this)

Thanks!
    -Garandman

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014

3. JWagner

JWagner New Member

For Mauser parts, I have made a list of places that have some. Try the following places:
    Apex gun parts
    ssporters.com
    World War supply
    e-sarco.com
    Numrich (gunparts.com?)
    Libertytreecollectors
    Hoosiergunworks

And there is a site called Mausercentral.com that may help you find more.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I would point out, for the benefit of future, younger readers with less experience- legally, the RECEIVER is the firearm. While I can order lots of pieces parts on the interwebz, the RECEIVER is treated the same as if I were buying a whole, entire gun. It must go to a FFL holder (dealer) in my home state, I must do the same paperwork as if I were buying a complete gun, etc. The exception would be a face-to-face with another resident of my state.

I mention this since we have had some younger readers that see an ad for a "parts kit" and make the assumption that this is a DIY kit for making an AK, SVT-40, Suomi submachine gun, etc.

To the OP- in GENERAL, the cost of the parts to assemble a complete firearm is about 3-4 times the sale price of the same gun. Go over to gunpartscorp.com, look up a common firearm, remember they do not sell receivers, but add up the cost of all the screws, springs, levers, clevises, sights, pins, whatchamacallits of doohickeys. Total the $$$ amount, and sit and ponder for a minute. And there are still the issues of getting headspace right, indexing barrels so that sights are on the top of the gun, etc.

5. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

Thanks for all the input guys!

After a little research, I think C3 is right (as usual!) about the pricing at the end of the project. Realistically the best option is to find one sporsterized or missing parts for short money, and just restore that, or better still, bide my time until I trip over a nice all original one...

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

There are some cases where you can get one of these "kits" where the receiver has been de-milled, if done properly those receivers can be purchased across state lines without the FFL. YMMV.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Dad- true- with limitations. The ATF now requires that "demilling" be performed by using a cutting torch that removes at least a quarter inch wide strip of metal, and the receiver be cut into 4 or more bits. Under some circumstances, they may permit crushing it flat, or melting it (liquid metal)

Even so, if you have a full auto, THAT cannot be restored unless it was registered with the BATFE by May 1986.

You can't do the history of future past (unless you are the Moody Blues)

8. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

:(. Seen that before...

Attached Files:

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Thanks for the clarification.

To everybody else, its always better to be safe than sorry and a felon.

10. string1946

string1946 New Member

I have read several series of articles in The Shotgun News where Reid Coffield bought several of the demilled kits and rebuilt them into legal semi-auto firearms and the amount of work, creativity and skill not to mention equipment is quite impressive to someone like me that can't cut a board square to save his life. I'm building an AR mostly cause its fun but other than that I'll stick with ready rolls.