Pitbull vs shelty/collie mix.....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by LONGHAIR, Jun 24, 2013.

1. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Well I was talking with my next-door neighbors in my side-yard and their 14 year old son was walking-out their backdoor and their pit-bull ran past him and strait over to my yard and started attacking my shelty...Grabbed him by the neck and started shaking and would not let go...I was hitting and kicking their dog and it would just shake and try to spin not letting go...I even stepped on his neck barefooted and heard-it crack but the motherf##ker was not letting go and I was scared it may bit my foot...I said I was running in-side to get my gun and the neighbor lady told me to get the water-hose...and the only reasion I did was it was right there....That broke them-up...He has two teeth-holes in his neck but I think he will be ok...I'll watch to see if I have to take him to the vet...They said they would pay for it...I told them next-time I will not get the hose but get my gun and I don't want hard-feeling over-it...They agreed with me and said this isn't the first time the dog got a nother dog...Now I have to keep a gun at the front-door and the backdoor every time I let my dog out in the yard...They said their dog has broken the collar before to....This...SUCKS...This just happened a hour ago and my heart is still beating fast.....Have to go and cut the hair around his neck and check it out better...Thanks for listening........

2. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Wow what irresponsible neighbors. They better be on their toes and let them know you mean business. I hope your dog is ok, do some basic first aid and keep the infection chance low, pets get infections faster than humans and sometimes they are hard to detect. Good luck and a call to animal control may also be needed if permitted in your area.

3. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Longhair sorry to hear about your dog and irresponsible neighbors,if they're going to have an animal like that they really need a fence and a stronger collar to control their dog. If you have animal control in your area I would call and make a report,if you don't have animal control I would call the sheriffs dept. That way if the problem happens again and you do have to shoot the neighbors dog,you will have a earlier report to back up your actions.

4. QueenGlamis

QueenGlamis New Member

x2. Not to be a jerk but what happens if your dog gets sick or has other injuries? Are they going to pay for it then when the bill is big $$? With an attack like that I would 10000000000000% take him in to be checked out and if you want to not cause drama with the neighbors, the vet will report it. Puncture woulds that don't bleed are VERY serious because they can be bleeding where you can't see it!! My parents had a border collie mix and a Rott/Pit mix. The dogs hated each other. the littler one got shredded many times but made it to 18 because my mom always took him after a fight.

5. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I shaved his neck and cleaned the holes with water and a rag...Then I put Triple Antibiotic Ointment on his neck...I'll watch it close and see how it looks in the morning.....I told them this will happen again,just a matter of time,so their dog is ...WALKING-DEAD....as of now....They only lived there for a month and this happened so I know this is just a matter of time.....

6. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Hope your dog heals well,there's nothing worse then seeing your buddy get attacked :(

7. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Like said I'd visit the vet, and report to animal control.. Dogs are territorial and will attack each other seemingly unprovoked, even 'good dogs' its just nature, how things work.. This danger can be enhanced by neglect or abuse(not saying your neighbor mid treats).
    I took my brothers half pit half Doberman because he and his male boxer hated each other, neither dog ever acted aggressive toward anyone or anything ever again(both lived well into their teens).
    Moral is get this documented, because they clearly already know their dog is prone to this behavior and are not dealing with it correctly or willing to.. If you don't get this documented you run the risk of being the villain if it comes to you having to put their dog down. Depending where you live you may also face charges for using a gun to do so.. Prepare yourself, cover your bases, all of them

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I agree. If they'll pay for the vet bills, you don't lose anything by taking your dog to the vet. DON'T wait and see. By the time you "see" anything, those bite punctures can be severely infected. Take your dog to the vet in the morning.

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm sorry about your dog. That's terrible. Lucky you were there. I agree 100% with everything that has been said so far.

I agree, but I'd like to add if dogs are properly socialized, that territorial behavior can be suppressed. Maybe even done away with entirely. We take ours to the local dog park often, and they never ever do that crap.

This behavior is usually, in my opinion, a sign of neglect or abuse by an owner. Either current owner or past. It's not always the case, but my opinion is that it's usually the case.

Unfortunately certain breeds get a bad rep. Pit bulls are the best example. If raised properly, they are wonderful dogs. However, they have a bad reputation because people so often use the for dog fights because of their physical power.

I'm sure your bud will be ok. Just do what needs to be done, be it the vet or not. Best of luck.

10. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

You're correct. Most people don't have or more likely take the time to socialize their dogs. I would personally say the territorial behavior is more from lack of socialization then abuse or neglect.. Then again in some circles lack of socialization is considered neglect.. I only 'split hairs' because most ppl associate physical abuse with neglect and abuse.

Anywho, op definitely take the free vet trip..

11. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

My shelty is doing good,I'm watching him all day and looking for infection starting...The people next-door are nice people but why they would keep a dog that has done this 3 times as of now I don't know....They said they got the dog from the shelter a little over a year ago...They have a male pit also,but it's a pup and did play with my dog a few weeks ago and I watched then very closly knowing dogs with lock-jaw are hard to get off another dog...I'm not against any dog,just don't like mean-ones....I do have my two guns at each door .38 at the back and .380 at the front...and they have been warned....just a matter of time if they don't get rid of-it...My dog can't wear a collar for a few days atleast....

12. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Some will consider not taking your dog to the vet after being attacked neglect as well.. By not documenting this, you're asking for trouble if you gun down your neighbors dog.. Your dog, carry on.

13. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

If it gets infected I'm taking him to the vet and they said they would pay for it...Just trying to keep the piece...I just talked with the neighbor lady and they she said she is calling around to find a home for the dog and if they can't find a home they are putting the dog down after this weekend....I'll have guns ready till the dog is gone.....

14. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

It sounds like you are handling it as well as possible. I gotta give it to you seem to be a very calm and reasonable guy.

15. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Agreed.. In his shoes I'd probably have beaten that dog bare fisted bloody

16. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Take the dog to the vet, sooner not later. If nothing else a shot of antibiotics may be needed.
    Call animal control or the applicable agency ASAP and get it on record. What if next time it's a child or it kills the next dog it gets a hold of? Additionally, if you're forced to shoot it at some point, there is a paper trail to back it up.
    The odds are, this will end badly at some point. CYA.

17. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I wasn't very calm yesterday...but I have to live next to these people so just trying to make the best of it...They are nice people and they say they will take care of the problem so all I can do is keep my guard-up and wait to see if they do what the say even if it means putting the dog down....I told them I don't want to live in fear for my dogs life every minute and they said they are tiered of looking after a dog that tries to bit everything in sight....Thanks for listening and input everybody....Will take note of everybody's input......

18. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I've heard that the anatomy of a pit bull and like breeds will allow a strong person to put one down by grabbing its to front legs and spreading them apart until its rib cage separates in two,not sure if this is fact or not,but something to try if your gun or garden hose isn't handy.

19. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

So, it has happened at least three times that you KNOW of? And these people are new to the neighborhood? Sorry man, but I would not be as nice as you. That dog would be dead by now. Next time it might be a kid or your dog might not be so lucky. At the very least I would have my sidearm ON ME every time I went outside from now on.

You really should follow the other peoples advice and document all this and take your dog to the vet, you will need a paper trail later on.You say these people are nice, and they probably are....NOW.... when you have to put down their dog, I bet they will stop being so nice and try to make you out to be the bad guy.

20. tri70

tri70 New Member

I think the neighbors need to build a taller fence or get rid of the dog.
    Maybe a taser or pepper spray will work too.