Pistols by weight?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by BlindOldMan, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

Does anyone know of a website that allows searching for pistols based on weight? I'm looking for a *heavier* 9mm semi-auto pistol with a good history of reliability.

2. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Browning High Power or a steel framed CZ would have to be among the heaviest and both are well thought of. Also, the 3rd gen S&W pistols with steel frames. I had a Jericho 941 (CZ clone, also called Baby Desert Eagle) and it weighed so much it was like shooting a rimfire...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  4. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Beretta 92 and the Taurus PT92 are both heavy 9mms (about 2.5lbs, loaded). I had a PT92 that was perfectly reliable for over 1500 rounds.

5. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

^^^ This.

My next pistol will be a CZ 75 SP01...loved it after trying it in the range. :)

6. orangello

orangello New Member

My CZ75b will be my GO TO for pistol whippins; that thing is SOLID. With a full magazine, you could probably knock a horse out with that thing. My dear departed Granny once knocked out a ne'er do well husband of one of my cousins with her purse and the enclosed gilt Bible; had she been packin a CZ75b rather than the heavy metal Bible, that man wouldn't have woke up.

It's darn accurate too.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A Smith and Wesson 5906 is heavy, reliable and accurate. Stainless steel frame and slide. They can be found as LE trade in guns. Carried a bunch and shot 50-100 rounds a year.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

I think i saw one of those in the CDNN catalog for about $300.
    CDNN Sports, Inc.
    (If you look at the picture of their catalog, it is by the center seam, near the bottom.)

9. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I agree. I bought one from CDNN for $299.99 w/ hogue grip...best bang for the buck if you don't mind buying used.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

cz75, browning hi-power, or an older taurus PT99/92 if your looking for a real cheap used one. the older ones are steel framed steel slide no clue about the newer.

those are about the only ones i would recomend. the CZ75 in my opinion is the best 9mm bar none out there.

11. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

I don't know much about the CZ75s, but I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion :) .

Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

Now, I don't own a glock, have never owned a glock, and at the moment don't even own an autoloader. But if I were to buy another 9mm it would definitely be a Glock :) .

12. WDB

WDB New Member

S&W 5906 is a great choice. Proven preformance and has the heft you are looking for.

13. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

Great...

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll see if they have the 5906 and CZ available at my local range for some testing.

The weight is for recoil minimization. I noticed that my second tap is pretty inaccurate so looking for improvement.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Didn't think about that, CDNN has those for like $300 now. Good call!

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

A Star 30M is big and heavy. Durable as a tank.

16. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

Compensated pistol?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have not located the S&W 5906 yet, but will try. I'll order the CZ75 when I return next week.

I did see people recommending compensated pistols to help with recoil. It seems that there are some downsides, but otherwise quite helpful. From looking around:

1) Muzzle flash (not an issue since this is for range only)
    2) Slightly greater risk of injury from discharge
    3) Requires more maintenance
    4) Ballistic dynamics change versus non-compensated

Even these were subject to debate though...

My goal is to be able to group my double and triple taps better. Right now, my first shot is fine but I'm taking too long to return to target sight.

I won't be able to shoot for a week so I'll be jonesing for the range :D

17. orangello

orangello New Member

CDNN Sports, Inc.
    There is a pic of their catalog that you can click to view. The lil pic shows the 5906 right above the "for" in "click here for direct download". I usually just click and view rather than downloading.

18. canesfanmatt

canesfanmatt New Member

Hi Point C9 is heavy & has very little recoil due to weight & blowback design. It is my backup concealed carry piece. I use an Alien Wear cloak tuck 3 and can carry it all day with no issues. It's also dirt cheap & reliable, don't let anyone tell you different. If they do, they are probably a gun snob that has never owned one. Don't get me wrong I'd take my sig 1911 .45 over it all day every day but it's still a good back up or 1st gun if it's all you can afford.

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Matt- first, welcome to the forum- when you get a minute, drop by the intro thread and say hello.

Next, please check the dates on a thread that you respond to. This one is from 2011.

20. morgoth

morgoth New Member

The CZ75 SP-01 weighs 2.4 lbs empty.
    Great gun to shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.