Pistol vs Revolver...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by NymphoGnome, May 7, 2010.

1. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

I have just shot my first 40 mm, and in wishing I remembered the name of it (the grip was almost too small for my hand) I am now in love with 40 mm's.
    I was wanting to know some Pro's and Con's in the Pistol and Revolver, before I decided to go looking.

2. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Do you mean 40 caliber?

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

40 mm = 1.574803"

.40 caliber = roughly .4"

Like Jo, I am gonna assume that you are speaking of the .40 S&W round. I am gonna offer up that a revolver is a pistol just like any handgun is a pistol.

Now, based on that, here's what you need to know.

A semi-automatic pistol is an auto feeder. Meaning there is a spring fed magazine that place the next bullet into position to load the chamber each time the gun is fired. Generally, they are capable of holding more bullets than a revolver. They also have many moving parts. That means there are many things that have to work right to keep the gun firing when you pull the trigger.

A revolver generally holds fewer rounds. Each time the gun is fired the cylinder moves to the next position so the gun can be fired again. Revolvers have fewer moving parts, and are regarded as being more reliable because of that. Since the bullets are already loaded into the chambers of the cylinder, there are fewer things that can go wrong.

Of course, this is all based on both types of pistols being in good and safe working condition.

Semi-auto = more rounds

revolver = more reliable

There are exceptions to those generalizations.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  4. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

Okay well just gotta remember 40 Cal now, My uncle is always harping get a Revolver if you wake up in the night you don't wanna worry about the gun jamming.

5. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Must be Friday, I feel like arguing. There are a lot of definitions of "pistol" but almost all of them state that the chamber is part of the barrel--thus a revolver is not, by definition, a pistol. From Websters:

Pistol definition
    pis·tol (pis′təl)

Noun

1.a small firearm made to be held and fired with one hand
    2.such a firearm in which the chamber is part of the barrel

6. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

So I win?!?!?

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Get both!!!! (and just call them handguns)

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Weaksauce.

Sorry, Missleman, but a revolver is a pistol because it matches definition 1. :D

Show me where it says that any word has to match every definition of the word for that word to be a valid description.

For instance, how many definitions are there for the word chamber or the word barrel?

Arguement is null and void. :p

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I was going to chime in, but I see skully is having "one of those days" and I do not want to feed the monster.

10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

*Skull puts both hands in plain view and slowly backs away from this thread*

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I only know of one revolver that will shoot .40 S&W and it's a very pricey S&W 610 that is actually a 10mm revolver. One of these will set you back around a grand...

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Probably a good idea. I realized I, too, am having "one of those days".

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Boy I'm glad I didn't add to this thread! [​IMG]

14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

"Probably"? Self preservation is a huge motivator. :cool:

15. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

I say pistol so you know I am not talking about a revolver. It's just my way of seeing it, now seeing as they're called Semi-auto's, I will use that to reference what I called a pistol. I also try extremely hard not to say Ammo > Bullets and Firearm > Gun, leaves less room for trolls.
    I think I like revolvers better, I just don't like magazine clips. They tend to tenderize my fingers.

16. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Must be contagious. Both the GF and I are in a pissed off mood. We were supposed to go out to her company get together tonight, but said F that. We're going to the range.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

dont worry revolvers can jam just like an autloader. get a piece of bedsheet in the cylinder or a piece of clothing and the cylinder will jam up just fine.

the odds of a jam happening are just as good on a quality revolver as on a quality autloader. a decent handgun that is properly taken care of will function when it is needed regardless of action choice

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

For new shooter, the semi-auto could hide shooter faults (unless you are a practiced shooter). There are NRA certified instructors that are willing to assist you with the basics. Use them (a couple may even like being abused). Good Luck

19. freefall

freefall New Member

I'm getting old. Can't remember the last time I got a bed sheet caught in the cylinder of my revolver.:(

20. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

I got the bed sheet caught in my zipper once, needless to say sex did not ensue. I guess that is along the same lines as Getting the sheets caught in a revolver.

My buddy's Semi auto only jammed once today, I guess it might as well just come down to price and comfort.

Another thing is that hearing about any firearm semi-auto or Revolver jamming just makes me (for some crazy reason) think this is something that constantly happens.

Last edited: May 8, 2010