Pistol upper in house with other AR rifles

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by slog, Oct 6, 2012.

1. slog

slog New Member

Are there any legal ramifications to owning (or even ordering) an AR pistol upper in a home where other AR rifles are present, not being assembled? I have multiple AR lower rifle platforms, would like to order a few pistol parts, but not interested in completing a pistol until a later time. I would be fine with storing the pistol uppers in a different location such as a storage unit if that is okay.

Also, has anyone ever grease packed their AR with cosmoline or anything like it? What would you recommend?

2. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

In the same house would be constructive possession in this situation, C3 may stop by with a more informative response.

3. msup752

msup752 New Member

Having a pistol length upper in the same house as a non SBR registered, non pistol lower is viewed as intent to build an illegal SBR. Keep it in a separate building.
    I'm getting ready to build an AR pistol and will be making the lower and register it(per state law) before I even think about assembling a pistol upper.

4. slog

slog New Member

So this applies even if there are unassembled pistol lowers in the home as well, if there are other rifles lowers in the home ?

5. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Until the pistol lower is assembled this is correct

6. slog

slog New Member

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll skip buying pistol parts. I'm doing some preemptive buys in case of a ban. Not really worth breaking any laws by accident.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

You can store the pistol upper on the moon and the atf considers it constructive intent.

8. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

These are good points.
    I have been looking at pistol lowers (clearly marked pistol) and, indeed, would pick this up first. Although the laws are screwy, I don't want to violate them. I value my right to keep and bear arms and would not want to run afoul of a law.

I will say tho, that there are so many frickin laws, it's hard to know them all.
    I think this is one of the reasons why our forefathers were so smart to say "infringed"; even tho' many of these laws seem to "infringe"

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

a good solution is to just buy a pistol lower and have done with it if you want to get the upper while waiting on the sbr stamp.

10. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Or you can get a complete polymer pistol lower by New Frontier Armory, to park the SBR upper. I think its less than $150.