Pistol that's easy to rack for daughter!

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by genemarsh, May 4, 2012.

1. genemarsh

genemarsh New Member

Debating on a revolver or pistol for my daughter whom has a young family. Concerned about her ability to rack the slide or go for a S&W air weight revolver?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Welcome to the forum.
    Do you have access to different guns for her to try?

3. genemarsh

genemarsh New Member

Taurus PT745 and S&W 38 airweight

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Take her to the range and see which she prefers. It should be a fun time and if she likes one better than the other you have a good starting point.

5. genemarsh

genemarsh New Member

Thanks for the advice. She may even like my 870 tactical 12 gage!

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

External hammer racks easier if you cock the hammer 1st. There are also several methods of racking a slide that are easier.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Will she be using it for concealed carry or home defense?

If its for HD, a heavy revolver will provide her with better control.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

FWIW, many people try to rack slide w/ muzzle pointing away from torso, pistol gripped by strong hand, slide pinched between thumb and fingers of weak hand, palm of weak hand down. The two thumbs will be on opposite sides of pistol. VERY hard to do.

Instead, grip pistol in strong hand, pointed ACROSS body. Grip slide with weak hand, using all fingers and heel of hand- and SHOVE hands towards each other briskly. If do this on a range, be sure to rotate body (to the right if right handed) so that muzzle is downrange. Both thumbs will be on same side of pistol- between pistol and body. MUCH easier to do.

In all fairness, will say I am still a fan of a good DA revolver, but most folks CAN shoot an auto using above.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbayNc6D9HY[/ame]

9. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Take her to a gun shop that has a wide selection so she can see and feel them all.

10. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Great video on how to rack with weak hands, wish I would have had this for my wife before i helped her to pinch her hand in the ejection port....if you can teach her to rack it once, you may want to consider a semi that is double action to single action with a de-cocker, for example, Beretta PX4 Storm is the gun I am familiar with but am sure there are dozens of other options.

11. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

My wife picked the Bersa thunderbolt 380 for the ease of racking it. I tried to get her to go with a Walter. Oh well she saved me money. LOL

12. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

My wife carries a sig p238 with hornidy critical defense. She loves it it, racks really easy and shoots great.

play the victim, be the victim

13. Win73

Win73 New Member

Beretta makes a .22, a .25, a .32, and a .380 with tip up barrels. You don't have to rack the slide to load or unload them. That might be worth looking into.

14. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Walters are pretty nice, I was looking at one for my wife for similar reasons as you for your daughter. But we ended getting her a SIG SAUER sp2022 in 40 cal. They also come in 9mm and .357, they are reasonable priced which I've seen in low $400's and for under $450. Great pistols for the cash.

15. phildenton

phildenton New Member

With regards to the beretta tip ups, i sidnt know they had em in .380? And also if (when) they jam they are a pain to clear. I would recommend a revolver. S&w, ruger, both are great choices.

16. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Is she healthy with full use of her hands & arms? Is so, racking the slide on most semi-autos is more about technique than outright strength.
    If it not going to be carried, I'd recommend going a bit toward the larger end. I find itty bitty semi autos harder to work with than full sized. My wife's PPK/S is harder to get a hold of than say a CZ or even my XD40SC.
    Revolvers are going to be simpler for people who aren't "Gun People." IMHO, stay away from Ultra light or air weight revolvers for novices. I'm an experienced shooter, and I don't really like shooting them. They are simply unpleasant with all but the lightest loads. Steel frames aren't THAT much heavier and felt recoil is significantly better.
    What ever you end up getting her, she will need to practice with it on a regular basis.

Edit:

You might want to think about visiting this site:
    http://www.corneredcat.com/What_Gun_for_a_Woman/
    The linked article addresses your question, but the whole site is worth a read.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  17. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I forgot about the H&K P2000sk I had in a .40 cal as well which she could use as well with ease but that pistol was almost $1000 and I dont know your budget or your desired spending limit.

18. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

A toddler could rack the slide on my Beretta 96 (92fs) its well worn so that may have something to do with it, idk.

It's been 100% reliable, but the grips are a bit thick, I'd have her hold one and try it out.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  19. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Because of what my wife said, I also vote for the Sig P238. She has arthritus in her hands, plus had 3 fingers almost amputated in an accident, so also has a weak grip in her left hand, the one that operates the slide. She can barely rack the slide on her Bersa .380.

She has been shopping for a P238 & finally found a dealer that was holding one for a customer to pick up & let her try it. When she racked the slide, she said "oh yeah, that's it!". :) It's just a matter of time & finding one now!

20. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

I agree with this 100 percent racking the slide is easy with good technique regardless of pistol size. I saw a good Vid on YouTube of a 13 year old girl racking a variety of full-size and compact without issue. Under her fathers supervision of course.

Last edited: May 7, 2012