Pistol Smithing?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Akam, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Akam

Akam New Member

I am in need of a pistol smith that can help me with a re-chambering job on a pistol of mine. Basically I need the breech face to be opened up a tad and barrel head spaced.

Does anybody know of anybody that does this kind of work? Thanks.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Different pistols required different tools.

Can you get more specific?

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Best place to start would be asking this question to your local gunsmiths.

4. Akam

Akam New Member

Thanks for the answers guys, I have asked a few local smiths that kind of turned their noses up at me. It's a Tri-star C-100 in .380 (Basically a Turk copy of a Cz75 compact)

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Where are you located at?

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Uh, are you looking to make it a 9mm?

I would question the integrity of the overall platform. While it may hold the pressures of the .380, going to the 9X18 or 9X19 may put a bomb in your hand.

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Very correct

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

basicly what Dan and Marlin are trying to say, is just because it can be done, does not mean it should be done. could possibly be why the local gunsmiths were reluctant to get involved due to possible dangers to personal safety.

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

If you'll pm me where you live and what EXACTLY you wantvdone to it ill try and help you.

10. Akam

Akam New Member

Northern Alabama.

Trust me guys, it's stupid but not THAT stupid. 9x18 Makarov. *Here comes the storm* And no you can't convince me otherwise, I have personal reasons.

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

What personal reason can you have for wanting to turn a gun into a damn frag grenade???

12. Akam

Akam New Member

Last I checked, it should be perfectly safe. Figure out your cartridge data compared to 9x18 and .380.

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I know it and I know how thin/weak the metal is in them guns.

14. Akam

Akam New Member

Fair enough, what about with 10% reduced loads however ?

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

It'd work but 15% reduced hand loads would be better

16. Akam

Akam New Member

Hmm, I would use a 9x19 platform but I'm worried about extraction issues on that and chose a .380 since the breech face could be opened up. Do you think it could be done easier and safer on a standard 9mm without losing any cartridge performance?

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Converting a standard 9 to another of the 9mm is always a better idea.

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i just did. case length on a 9x18 Mak. is .713 and pressure is 23,200psi and the 380 ACP is .680 in case length and 21,500 psi in pressure. moving the chamber ahead .033" could possibly weaken the chamber to the point of it becoming a time bomb.

how are you going to gaurantee your loads to be 10% reduced? by reloading? even then there are not really any gaurantees.

you are free to do as you wish, but i would make a suggestion. please count all the fingers on your hand before firing it if you happen to make such a modification.

19. Akam

Akam New Member

Pardon my ignorance on the subject. My first choice was a compact Tanfoglio in 9x19 but one of the guys I went to see said starting out with 9x17/.380 would be a better choice if I were looking to. I consulted a few smiths around here who said it could be done easily and safely but wouldn't do it because the time it would take.

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Most of what they said is correct. Axxe explained what they where wrong on