Pistol Permit Question (New York)

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by jgand72, Apr 12, 2011.

1. jgand72

jgand72 New Member

Hey guys, quick question. I live in Suffolk County, New York, and am applying for my pistol permit on my 21st birthday which is coming up (I know, it's going to take a few months to actually get it :/). I was planning on applying for a type F Class 1 (Sportsman). However, a few weeks ago I was on the receiving end of a pretty serious stabbing (punctured lung, and a few other organs). If mentioned on the application, is there ANY possibility I could get authorized for a full carry (Class 6)? I'm just curious (my father was too).

Anyone have any input on this?

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I hear chain mail shirts are very breathable and quite in-fashion this summer. :eek:

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

As far as I can tell the requirements for Carry in NY are completely arbitrary. :rolleyes: The fact that you were assaulted will probably work against you. Based on experience and talk with friends and family that live in NY it is very difficult to get get a CC permit. Most that do get it are connected to someone somehow.

Good luck :)

4. The Man

The Man New Member

Being on the receiving end of a crime does not improve your chances. As a matter of fact, it does nothing at all for applying for a permit for full time carry or anything else.
    As far as being difficult to get a gun permit in Sufffolk Cty, file for one and see what happens. Good Luck!

5. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Getting a full CCW in NY is getting a little hard. In my county, Wayne, you have to show a need for it such as law enforcement,etc. My son just got his, and it took approx 3 weeks for him to receive it.His is not a full CCW, but allows him to carry it in the car,target shoot, hunt, and on premises.

6. jgand72

jgand72 New Member

I thought MAYBE it could be seen as additional proper cause for a need to protect myself in the future. Guess I'll have to see what happens.

3 weeks!? I'm looking at 6 months when I apply :(.

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I can't tell you what to do, but I CAN tell you what I did.

I moved to a shall-issue state. Had my permit in less than a month.

I spend ALL my money for guns, ammo, range time, accessories,etc,

here in my new shall-issue state, where I own, and carry my guns.

I spend NO MONEY in the People's Democratic Republic of NJ.

Vote with your wallet!!

GET OUT of New York, or you will be slaughtered with the rest of the sheep...

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Absolutely!

If this would satisfy you, just move to MS; this much carry is legal for any MS resident over 21.

9. The Man

The Man New Member

10. jgand72

jgand72 New Member

11. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

... OR you can take Option B: Move to the Gunshine State(or somewhere like it)

and you will have your permit and be carrying in a Castle Doctrine state in less

than a month, pretty much guaranteed.

FWIW, the Florida resident CWP is accepted in @ 38 states, IIRC.;)

13. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Back when I lived in Rockland County NY it was 10 months, minimum, and no guarantee to be approved. First you had to purchase a pistol, submit the receipt and application to the Sheriff, then wait. :eek:

or you could move to VT, where permits are not required. You can buy your groceries, gas and a pistol and be out the door in 15 minutes ;)

14. stevetinman

stevetinman New Member

I live in Niagara County NY. and it took 17 weeks to get the CCW permit. Each county sets its own rules and type of permit that they will issue. Niagara County only issues Full Carry permits where Erie county which is just next door might issue a hunting permit or a carry permit. It is their choice. Good luck with your permit. After I got my NY permit I obtained a NON-Resident Pa permit. I got it in 5 days. It covers 26 states. $26.00 and no classes.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  15. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

How do you do that, and is it legal in NY?

16. stevetinman

stevetinman New Member

It is a non resident permit You have to have a CCW in your resident state to get one but it extends your ability to carry to the states that honor the
    Pennsylvania permit which is 26. NY does not recognize the Pa permit but that is ok because I have NY ccw. If you go online to Centre county pa it will tell you how to get the Pa permit.

17. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Thank you.