Firearms Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to research this online with no success.
I suspect someone has found one or looked at one so maybe they can point me in the right direction.
I currently have a gun safe and I am using the door to hold some pistols along with the long guns the safe is primarily designed for.
I use the velcro type "holster" sleeve on the carpeted door. I wound up buying an elastic strap to stretch across the holsters to hold them in place.
But that limits what I can put there. 6 or 8 on the door if I want to be able to draw them out individually.
I am looking for a safe that is made for pistol storage. Everything I find is for long guns and may have some accessory shelves.
Other than buying a regular safe and retrofitting it myself there doesn't seem to be anything specific.
Has anyone run across a pistol / revolver only gun safe?
I really it would be big enough to hold 24 - 36 pistols and allow easy access to all of them without moving or unstacking them.
I could make a nice cabinet out of wood, but I like the built in security of a manufactured safe.
Thoughts anyone.....suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
I have not. It seems strange that there arent any/more out there.
I just recently spent a chunk to reorganize my two big safes. Pistol and magazine storage were at the top of the list.

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
I've always had a small mix of mostly pistols and some long guns. Never have needed a large safe. Couldn't ever get by with just a "pistol" safe (by size or layout).

But if I were looking to house up to 40 pistols in a way to allow ease of access and security from damage, I'd look into a fair-sized regular gun safe that's laid out with a number of shelves, with a bunch of pistol "racks" to hold the guns.

Say, something like this:

A mid- to larger-sized gun/burglary safe from AmSec or similar, something wide and deep enough to hold a series of pistol racks on each shelf:

and one or two 6- or 8-gun racks on each shelf:

Could probably add a few hanging racks on the door, as well, similar to the racks on the shelves.

Given that a shelf of pistols stored in such a way doesn't take up much height, one could place a good number of shelves into a safe. Should be able to get 40 pistols in there, if sized large enough to allow enough shelving to hold them all.

I don't know of any gun safes that are handgun specific, as such. You select the appropriate shelving layout, the right storage racks to sit on the shelves, and that's good enough. At least, with any safe I've seen.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I made my post I did find a gun "cabinet" that looks interesting.
I'm not a fan of the mesh doors but the cabinet is quite secure.
They sell individual brackets so you can put long guns or pistols in it by just picking the brackets you need.

Rectangle Wood Gas Grille Mesh
Circuit component Rectangle Font Auto part Gas

The company is Gallow Technologies.
You can also buy the panels separately in case you wanted to fabricate your own enclosure.

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Since I made my post I did find a gun "cabinet" that looks interesting.
I'm not a fan of the mesh doors but the cabinet is quite secure.
They sell individual brackets so you can put long guns or pistols in it by just picking the brackets you need.

View attachment 251241 View attachment 251242

The company is Gallow Technologies.
You can also buy the panels separately in case you wanted to fabricate your own enclosure.
Ive thought about this type of setup. Obviously, would work well in a secure room. Most safes are easy enough to get into, these would even be easier if bad guy didn't have to get through another layer of security first.
I used the shelf hangers for mine. Not sold on it though. The grip sticks out enough that you cannot also use door space.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
In about 40 years working burglaries, I never encountered a single "regular" gunsafe broken into in the home or business, although it can happen. However, if it can be hauled off, theives have done that. Two we recovered were cut open from the bottom, later dumped. If you opt for a safe, think about how secure the safe itself is from theft. Also - fires - some are more fire resistant than others but in experience unless it's put out really quickly with a minimum of water, uh...not good.

Heavy safes tend to fall through floors during fires. When they hit the concrete in the basement, they can jam. Anyway - if you can move it, bad guys can move it. The elcheapo "gun cabinets" might keep toddlers out, but no one else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts