pistol grip or regular stock?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by old fart, Mar 29, 2012.

1. old fart

old fart New Member

i have a pardner pump protector and will be using it for home defense as well as a hiking and camping gun and possibly a close range deer gun. i was thinking of putting a pistol grip on it as it would shorten it for hiking, but for home defense and deer hunting i don't know. what do ya'll think?, leave the factory stock on or put a pistol grip on. i know there are folding stocks too and that would give me both but they're more expensive. so would ya'll put a pistol grip on, leave it alone or put a folding stock thats got the pistol grip or regular stock choice? thanks

2. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

It's hard to say, really a personal preference, i'm a fan of pistol grips with m4 style stocks. ATI makes a top foldind stock w/ pistol grip for about 70 bucks, my buddy has one on his 870 and it's pretty nice, worth the money imo

3. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I say leave it alone. Why put all that energy into your wrist? I shot a 12 with just the rear pistol grip, I would rather chop off my arm than do that again...

4. rustycrusty

rustycrusty New Member

Are you talking fullstock with pistol grip or pistol grip only? The PGO stocked guns I've shot were not fun or accurate, the ones I've shot with full stock and pgs like speedfeed are great! You could also get the M-4 style stock to adjust length to suit conditions.

5. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

I prefer traditional stocks on my shot guns. just my opinion.

6. nastyogre

nastyogre New Member

Knoxx recoil reducing stock. Gives you a pistol grip and adjusts to length and reduces recoil. $129 well spent on your shotty. :)

7. Donn

Donn Active Member

I agree. Makes the gun more managable and a wood stock is a first rate close quarter non-lethal weapon. MHO you understand.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Stick with the stock. Real stock.

9. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I'm inclined to agree. Too much pressure on the wrist. My Mossberg 590A1 has the factory stock, and I am quite satisfied with it, as it provides the purpose of getting it in the first place ~ home defense.

10. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

I prefer the traditional stocks myself. Especially for hunting.

11. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

I've got double pistol grips on my 870, with the foregrip it spreads the recoil between both hands, making it very managable. As far as accuracy I guess that comes with practice. I cam knock a 1 litter bottle of a stump at 20 yards, from the hip.

12. old fart

old fart New Member

UPDATE: i couldn't decide on what to do as i wanted a pistol grip to take hiking and camping but needed a stock for deer hunting. my nephew solved my problem, i had a old winchester 22 that my nephew has wanted for a long time, he offered to get me another pardner pump plus my pistol grip and a pistol forgrip. i agreed so i now have a full stock deer shotgun and one with a hogue pistol grip and a tac star forgrip. i fired it yesterday and with field loads and reduced recoil buckshot it wasn't bad at all, i fired slugs it kicked pretty good, but the hogue grip seems to help with recoil. all in all i like it and i have a short 27.75 inch gun that i can just sling across my back, which is good i'm a short guy and a real long gun doesn't fit me well. thanks

13. BrooklynFaTs

BrooklynFaTs New Member

I just got da ati six piston scorpion stock it give u less recoil in the back n in the pistol grip I put it on my Winchester 1300 speed pump works great

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I much prefer full pistol grip and synthetic stock on any long gun.

My Benelli M-2 is a dream to shoot. In large part due to the full pistol grip.

15. elmerfudge

elmerfudge New Member

You Tube is loaded with examples of pistol grip nose plants. :D

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

after having shot a few over the years, i just don't care for them. way too much recoil placed on the wrist. i would prefer the full stock with a pistol grip rather than just the pistol grip alone. some people like the pistol grip only and if they are comfortable shooting them and have problem with controlling it, then by all means go for it. it does make for a shorter and handier shotgun.

17. MrWray

MrWray New Member

The last two shotguns that ive owned had pistol grips with synthetic stocks. I prefer the full stock w/ pistol grip

18. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I've been thinking about going w/ an M4 style stock and grip on my 1100. Any suggestions?

19. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I like them, i wish that i could put one on my new Stoeger M2000. Since Benelli owns Stoeger ive been researching to see if i can get one for it. I havent been able to find any acdessories for the M2000

20. akers06

akers06 New Member

Look at stoegerindusries.com