Pistol for the wifey

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by coronadrinker85, Sep 1, 2011.

1. coronadrinker85

coronadrinker85 New Member

hey guys, took my wife and her SR9 to the range last weekend for the first time (for both), and she feels the slide is a bit hard for her to opperate. The guns got a couple hundred rounds through it from me taking it while she was pregnant so its not brand new. So it looks like the SR9 is mine now (oh darn :p ) and she wants something new.

So I'm looking for ideas, and this is where you guys come in. So what do you guys think is a good gun to take into consideration for her? obviously she will need to go look at them herself, but it would be good to go with a few in mind.

2. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Me personally I like the S&W model 386 XL Hunter 357 mag (but can also shoot 38 special) holds 7 rounds easy to use. Another good one is a Rossi MODEL R85104 38 special +P. Revolvers are just good easy to use hand guns, not rocket science.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I love my revolver way more than I like my semi-auto. But that's just me.

4. fisher79

fisher79 New Member

My wife loves her walther pk380 it has a very easy slide to operate and the grip fits her perfect! Just a thought for yours.

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Number one ,don't talk your wife into anythong. Its all her choice. Now saying that . Has she shot any small revolvers? One of the cooler revolvers but for someone recoil sensitive would one of the steel or SS 43fed mag models. There are 4 different factory loads for it and it could be a fine handloads rounds. 43fed mag 32h&r mag 32sw long and 32sw. Loads from 1400fps down to 650fps.

OR take her a range with a female instrutor and ley her work with your wife on picking the right firearm.

6. Rarity

Rarity New Member

We have to understand the question before we can answer whatever it is you're trying to ask.

Are you just simply implying that she DOESNT like the SR-9? If she doesn't then, what is the intention?

Is she looking for a conceal carry firearm, OR is it just for home defense?

Could it be both? What caliber is she most comfortable with? People can tell you what they like most, but here is what I have learned.

I usually do not like what a lot of people feel comfortable with. So their opinion isn't worth while listening to. Ask your wife what it is that she likes.. Small? I enjoy small.

I love my glock 26 and RUGER LC9. My wife feels safe whenever we go out.

First time I asked her what firearm she likes the most (I knew what it was prior to when I asked).. She said a desert eagle 50AE.

Zoey,

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  7. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

All very good advice. Another thing to try is to first make sure that your wife is operating the slide correctly. For us guys, slides are almost never a problem, but for women, many slides can be.

One thing many people make the mistake of doing is holding the frame of the pistol in one hand, and simply pulling the slide back with the other. While this works fine if you have the strength for it, there's another way for those with less arm strength to work a slide, and that is to hole the slide in one hand, the frame in the other, push with the frame hand, and pull with the slide hand. While it may not sound like it makes any difference, the difference is quite significant.

So if your wife likes everything else about the pistol other than the tough slide, that's something else you can try.

-Fred

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Not just any thong....I recommend Victoria's Secret! :)

Seriously, I think you might look at the Ruger LCR in either .38 or .357. I know there are now other polymer revolvers on the market, but I'm not familiar with them because I don't own them. I do own an LCR and I think it's a great little gun....and no slide for her to operate!

9. coronadrinker85

coronadrinker85 New Member

Thanks for the advise guys. We hadnt considered a revolver for her, time to take her to look :D

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Easier to use, fewer moving parts, less to go wrong. Let us know what you wind up with.