Pistol for my Mom

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by yesicarry, Oct 29, 2009.

1. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Finally got my Mom convinced to get her permit to carry and a pistol !! So, now to have her try different models at the range.. I'm thinking something in .380 or 9mm. Single stack mag. Small but potent..
    Any suggestions ?

Bersa, Taurus, Ruger... Hmm. So many to choose from..

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Have her try everything. Don't forget the revolvers. Easy to load and fire, no slide to rack....just point and click!!

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Take her to a gun shop and show her different types of handguns, both revolvers and semi's. Have her handle them all. Check her hand strength to rack a slide. If she has problems with that, guide her towards revolvers.

Then if you can find a range that rents guns, have her try a bunch of them in a variety of different calibers.

.38 or 9mm is my personal minimum for self defense. You may feel differently, but the idea is to stop a threat, not anger it.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The recoil on most .380s is just as much - and sometimes more than the same size 9mm guns. This is because most .380s are blowback action versus locked breech for the 9mm. I would also recommend looking at revolvers as they're simple point & shoot - with no slides to rack and safeties to operate...

5. WDB

WDB New Member

Yes,
    Find a range that rents and have your Mom shoot to see what fits her best. The pistol will be of no use unless she knows how to use it and is able to use it. Even after picking what fits her best she should practice shooting it. If she isn't willing to do this then your buying her a pistol to ease your own mind and not something she can use to defend herself.

I would suggest a snub nose S&W or the Ruger LCR 357, (she can shoot 38 spl rounds). I like semi auto's better but they require more training and expereince to make them an effective home defense pistol. Keep it simple and go with a wheel gun unless your Mom is willing to go to the range at least once a month. Even with a wheel gun she should go every couple of moths to honestly be able to use the pistol when needed.

Best of luck, let us know what your Mom eands up packing.

6. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

All models are going to be tried. Semi's and revolvers.. My Mom is so fired up about this that she's going to get the permit first so she can carry it home then and there..(Wa. State) This is going to be great..After all, she's the one who let my Dad teach me to shoot at the age of 5..My turn to get another shooter hooked on the sport..

7. Win73

Win73 Member

I second the revolver. After she gets some practice and experience, then she could move to an auto if she desires.

8. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

There seems to be a train of thought that a woman should "start" with a revolver. My experience as an instructor has found this to be far from true. With new shooters who don't have their own gun, I supply the guns and ammo (for a small fee). I have never had a female student, or male for that matter, that after spending time with both types of handguns chose the revolver. Never!
    Now I'm not trying to bash revolvers, I have my fair share of them and enjoy them all, but my experience points down the semi automatic trail. With instruction, and I'm not talking about the clerk at the store and the owners manual (as important as those can be), the semi automatic pistol is easier to become proficient with.
    I have found that 9mm pistols usually are easier to rack the slide on. The models that have changeable grip inserts also seem popular with small handed shooters. I have found that even brand new shooters are "brand" conscious to some degree (i.e., Glock, Smith & Wesson, Colt). They may not know the products, but they have heard the name, and that can mean a lot for someone about to spend $500.
    So, where am I going with this? Take a look at a Smith & Wesson, M&P Compact 9mm and for good measure look at one with a thumb safety. New shooters, especially female, seem to like safeties.

9. AH-1

AH-1 New Member

I think you can't go wrong with a ruger SP101 in 357 mag.start her out with some 38 special and work up to some 357's later.
    there was a range I think it was the marksman?? not far away and you could rent handguns there.try her out with both auto and revolver "before" you buy.money well spent.:).
    pete

10. Fayettedave

Fayettedave New Member

357 mag for mamma???

I LOVE my SP101, but for for Mama? Not so sure....how about a CZ 75 Compact in 9 mm.?

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

Hard to go wrong with the Ruger LCR.

1weight.jpg

This is my Elsie Ahrrr loaded, w/clip-draw and in under one pound!

12. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Hey AH-1, You are correct. Marksman is very close. Have been there. As far as all advice given by all, do have to agree that revolvers might be a better choice at first. But yet, I really feel that something that holds more than six rounds would be better.. Even with proper safety training and practice, if she needs it against someone, more rounds in the mag might be better..
    Adrenaline, panic and avoidance of an attacker might require more than six shots with someone that hasn't trained for years..
    But, it's up to what Mom likes. Right ? Self confidence is a BIG factor when carrying a handgun.. So... That means long hours in the gun range.. Gee, and her only son (me) will be there everytime..
    Looks like I will just "have" to go to the range and help her.:)

13. Viking

Viking Active Member

Some single stack 9mm compacts have only 5 to 7 round mags.

14. WDB

WDB New Member

Sounds like you have a reasonable handle on this. While more than six rounds make sense in most cases expect two or three rounds to be all that is needed to end a threat, it's not the number of shots as it is shot placement.

Good luck and again let us know what your Mom decides to pack.

15. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

How about taking mom to a range that allows shooters to rent different kinds of guns and let her decide what she wants. What works for you, or me, won't necessarily work for anyone else. Small guns are not that easy to shoot for beginners and takes a bit more training and practice to do it well. I've trained many women who preferred full size 1911 .45 caliber pistols. The smallest firearm I'd recommend for self defense, 9mm or .38 spl. Once someone has mastered larger caliber weapons and decide they want something smaller, ok, but at least it is their informed decision, not someone else's.

16. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I have to agree with pioneer461 100% about letting it be her choice of weapons. My wife stands 5'1" and would rather shoot my Sig 220 then my Sig P230 or the P239. Which really suprised me. Since that was one of the first handguns she ever shot, plus the fact that the P220 has a very large grip.
    Yet like everyone else has posted here you really need to find a range that will rent handguns for her to try. No use in purchasing something that might feel good in her hands but can not control the recoil.
    As far as it goes for weapons for her to choose always remember to "K.I.S.S." "Keep it Simple Stupid". Depending on the type of experience she had handling a handgun I would more then likely go with a revolver for her. There are many brands on the market at very good prices.

17. Fleetman

Fleetman New Member

My gf has difficulty working the slide on most autos. We even tried the Tomcat which she loves to shoot but has difficulty opening/closing the barrel. Finally settled on a S&W M&P360 that she keeps loaded with 125 gr JHP +P's. She regularly practices with 125 or 130 gr ball ammo. She loves this revolver and is very proficient with it.

18. utf59

utf59 New Member

Does your mom already know how to shoot? If not, I suggest starting her out on something easy. A .22 is a great introductory gun. Then let her step up to a 9mm in a decent enough size that the recoil won't put her off.

Even if she already knows how to shoot, I would take everything I could to the range with her and let her shoot whatever she wants to try. Then rent other guns, if they're available. And, as was posted before, let her choose what she likes.

This article is about buying a gun for your wife, but it will have some useful tips for helping mom: Cornered Cat - Buying a Gun for Your Wife

19. red ryder

red ryder New Member

x2

if she doesn't have any trigger experience, she can learn the basics and tune her shooting skills with a .22, i picked one up for under $200 to teach friends/family how to shoot. once she masters the basics then she can start practicing with something more practical for self defense.

20. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I started my 7yr old daughter off on an old S&W K-22 revolver and a Ruger 22/45. She learned the basic's on these and is now using a my Sig P239 in 9mm. She is having problems cycling the slide but I have been showing her how to push and pull in front of her. She has almost got it. But I can under stand how hard it is for some people to pull back the slide on a pistol.
    Like I explained to her, you have to practice and practice untill you can do it. Good luck. Hope she gets bit by the bug my little one did. Now I can not get her off the range.