Firearms Talk banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Fast turn around. They found and repaired the problem and it is on the way back. Loose screw on GBA. Realigned and tightened. I am not an expert on AR or I might have found and fixed the problem myself.

Reactions: Clifffalling

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Fast turn around. They found and repaired the problem and it is on the way back. Loose screw on GBA. Realigned and tightened. I am not an expert on AR or I might have found and fixed the problem myself.
Good deal, glad to hear that. What's "GBA"? gas block...?

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My guess is the gas block was loose and need to be realigned and tightened. I still might need to get an H3 buffer but I can pick that up locally.
I suspect this is what was wrong with my Adams but they never told me what they fixed.

·
Supporting Member
13,486 Posts
JTJ

Please let us know, but as I sated previously after your evaluation has to be a defective Chamber. And to emphasize what I said previously. I is not a Gas issue because you had to Mortar the Charging Handle to even get the BCG to open on occasion. If it was simply a Gas Issue or loose Gas Block it would open easily!
Have you heard back from them! You will probably just be sent a new unit. If the Bolt and the Barrel Extension did not lock up or unlock easily that was a major issue. You refereed to the Star. I assume you were referring to the Barrel Extension. If that was the issue you also had serious Head Space issues.
IMO, They fixed the issue and that is very good! Good Customer Service as they are known for. But once again with over 20 years in the industry the need to Mortar the BCG and Charging Handle to open the Bolt is not simply a gas problem! But (one Screw in a Gas Block Loose!) "Not"! that is an easy way of covering up a defective product hitting the market. And that is OK! when they take care of the problem for the customer! :)
Glad you have the issue resolved have you shot it yet?

Reactions: Bigcat

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Got it back and it still is not working. Installed lighter buffer spring on 3 oz buffer and still no go. Checked gas port .0080. Opened port to .0090. Now it functions with brass but still wont lock back even on M193. Just took it to .0095 and will try again. I might have to put the linear comp back on. Right now I have a flash can so no back pressure at the muzzle. It might function if I was bracing it but I need it to run with no brace. On the plus side my wife was able to shoot it while standing and did very well. She does not like the standard grip so looking for a new one or I could just grind off the bump.

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
.0095" has helped. It now locks back on m193 un braced. It will lock back on 223 soft point braced. Except for the lock back it functioned pretty well. The buffer is just under 3 oz and I have the lightest spring I found. I do not want to open up the gas port any more so I may look at clipping a coil from the buffer spring. They are only $5.

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I cant do anything major so it is small steps and a trip to the range with each change. This pistol is something my wife can handle and the main reason for it. I am learning a bit about AR's. I have a 10.5" PSA 9mm on the way. I have an 8 oz buffer for it and another lower.

Reactions: Clifffalling

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately it's due to carbine length gas on a pistol length barrel. A carbine gas system has the port approximately 7" from the chamber. That leaves you roughly 3.5" distance for dwell time, not much.

A suppressor, or maybe a linear comp might help.

9mm (obviously no gas), use a heavier buffer for the blow back design. I'm hoping Garrow will release their gas op 9mm upper soon. Lighter buffer and spring, much less recoil than the blow back designs....or spend the $$$ and get CMMG Banshee (radial delay design).

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The linear comp increased the recoil but it did help with dwell time. I may have to use it but I like the flash can better. A larger comp than the one I have might help.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Im sure you are, but keep in mind any extra $$$ you plan to spend to make it reliable. Ask yourself if it might be better to just buy a different upper.

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have been doing everything myself so $5 for a spring and a new linear comp is about $20 on half price sale. A suppressor would make it too long and too heavy for the wife. I have about $400 in it. The upper was $200 on sale.
The 9mm upper is costing me $320 plus $35 for the buffer and spring. The lower was about $150. I saw one of those roller delay uppers. $3K o_O

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Lol, yeah, the H&K roller delay is stupid expensive. The CMMG radial delay uppers have come down in price. They have a 100, 200, and 300 series. They use Glock mags. The 100 series starts at $785, the 200 series $845, and the 300 series starts at $855. Only difference between them is number of included mags, muzzle devices, charging handle and barrel length. The 100 and 200 series are an 8" barrel, the 300 is a 5" barrel. Still pricey, but significantly less than the roller delay.

Not too long ago, those CMMG uppers were well in excess of $1,000.

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I forgot to add $100 for the mag well adapter so the 9mm will end up at $600.

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
It is running. Took it out this morning after installing linear comp. .

21 - 36 of 36 Posts