Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help.
I have a new BCA 5.56x45 10.5" side charger upper that has ejection issues. I am trying to figure out gas, buffer or both. Several times it did not eject and I had to mortar the bolt. I was using 55 grain brass cased hand loads that function fine in my AR carbines. These were the 1st 5 rounds through the gun and only a couple ejected but not enough bolt travel to pick up the next round. 2 partially ejected and 1 did not budge and I had to lightly mortar the bolt. Next 5 were 55 grain SP also handloads but a little hotter. These actually managed to chamber a couple rounds. Last were 5 rounds of Wolf 62 grain steel. A few ejected but did not pick up the next round and I had to mortar 2. When it did eject the pattern was 3 oclock to 4 oclock. None went more than a few feet. Only held the bolt open on last round a couple of times with the 55 SP.
Buffer is a 3 oz carbine and the gun has a carbine length gas system. Accuracy was very good. I am running a flash can on the muzzle so no back pressure. Maybe I need a linear comp to give it some back pressure?

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Are there any marks on the cases? I'm thinking rough chamber maybe. I had one either from BCA or PSA, can't remember. Short stroked pretty much everything. They replaced the barrel.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cases look OK. I had an Adams that was short stroking. They fixed it but I don't know what they did. Right now I am thinking not enough barrel past the gas port. It came with an A2 and I replaced it with a flash can.

·
Supporting Member
13,505 Posts
JYJ

When you say Morter the Bolt. Are you saying you had to use force to do that or normally operate the Side Charging Handle?
Send us a picture. They can be very temperamental with the shorter Barrels. To share with you. I had one with all my experience over the years driving me crazy. It would run fine when it had the noraml Extension Tube (Buffer Tube) and Spring. I put a Sig Brace on it with its Tube and the Pistol would fire the round the Bolt would not go back far enough to pick up the next new round and jam it when starting to load. Knowing the Gas was not the problem I could not figure it out for the life of me. I measured the depth inside the Extension Tube also the overall length of the Tube. Measured the same as the original Extension Tube. I was also using the original Spring and Buffer. It had me totally stumped. While I was teaching a School one of the Officers had a Pistol and his Sig Brace on it. Out of curiosity I measured the Spring in his Pistol with the Sig Brace. It was a whole Coil shorter than the original CAR Spring used in my Pistols. Keep in mind both Tubes checked the exact same dimensions???? So came home clipped one Coil off the Spring in my Pistol with the Original Extension Tube it still ran great. Put the Sig Brace Tube back on the Pistol and it runs great. OH Well who would have guessed!

Reactions: Clifffalling

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had to use a little force. No brace so I had to tap the buffer tube on the table while pulling back on the bolt. Did not have to slam it.

·
Supporting Member
13,505 Posts
JTJ
Sounds like it is an internal Chamber issue? I am thinking a defective Chamber or too much, Excessive Head Space? This since you have tried other ammunition and still has issues.
Is there and ability to try one of your other Rifle BCG in that Upper and test it? We can go from there!

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a BCA side charger carbine I can switch the bcgs. I will take the carbine along to the range. I put a linear comp on to try. I am no expert but everything looks good on the pistol bcg and I checked the rings. There is only about 2.5" of barrel ahead of the gas port. I don't think it is getting enough gas. Gas tube looked OK. Some pistols require a heavier buffer but the gas system is carbine length and it seems heavier would retard the action even more but I am not an expert.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
10.5" barrel with carbine length gas is a problem. Should be pistol length on a barrel that short.

My son's BCA (18" 223 Wylde, stainless) had a similar issue when he first got it. Cartridges were so tight in chamber, every few rounds the bolt wouldn't go all the way into battery, and they took some tugging to pull out. Before we found out it wasn't going into battery, I suspected the ejector was too tight as it was leaving gouges on the case rims. Some AR's have a small rubber o-ring on the ejector spring. A fix is to remove the o-ring and then put it back on later when the spring loosens up. His BCG did not have the o-ring, but after popping off the ejector and mashing on the spring some, everything started running fine afterward. It's possible the spring wasn't seated right (although didn't notice that), and causing the ejector to kind of lock closed.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not getting gouges but tight chamber is a possibility. I will have to chamber and extract some unfired rounds.

·
Premium Member
G42 G43x P95DC CZ82 Mak CZ70 AR etc.
5,727 Posts
I have a BCA side charger carbine I can switch the bcgs. I will take the carbine along to the range. I put a linear comp on to try. I am no expert but everything looks good on the pistol bcg and I checked the rings. There is only about 2.5" of barrel ahead of the gas port. I don't think it is getting enough gas. Gas tube looked OK. Some pistols require a heavier buffer but the gas system is carbine length and it seems heavier would retard the action even more but I am not an expert.
Here is good reading. Yes, it is a carbine length gas system. However, it is not on a Carbine length barrel. Big dif.
Buffer weights in a Pistol do not correlate to what is on a Rifle. Works in reverse. In fact, I have installed even heavier weights in all of my carbines. They perform better in several ways over the minimum 3 ounce supplied usually.
This may answer a lot of questions for several guys.

In your case, I feel you are way underweight on that light weight carbine buffer you are using.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is good reading. Yes, it is a carbine length gas system. However, it is not on a Carbine length barrel. Big dif.
Buffer weights in a Pistol do not correlate to what is on a Rifle. Works in reverse. In fact, I have installed even heavier weights in all of my carbines. They perform better in several ways over the minimum 3 ounce supplied usually.
This may answer a lot of questions for several guys.

In your case, I feel you are way underweight on that light weight carbine buffer you are using.

Sounds like I need an H3 or a Pistol buffer. Now where to find one.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just talked with a professional builder. He said it sounds like I am not getting enough gas and possible tight chamber. I just loaded and hand ejected 2 Federal 55 grain 223 and they went in and out with no problem. Sent BCA an email.

Reactions: Oldoutlaw

·
Supporting Member
13,505 Posts
JTJ
I am assuming it is a normal AR Pistol. You do not need an H-3 Buffer or a Pistol Buffer. It should run just fine with a standard CAR AR Buffer. And it is not a Gas Problem because if it was a Gas problem you would not need to as you said with force on occqasion Mortor the BCG to get it open. It would simply open fairly easy. The Heavier Buffer will just add to your problem. As I said since we know it is not an ammunition problem. Let us know what happens with the Standard BCG from your other Rifle in it. That will tell us if you probably have a Chamber isssue with the new Upper Assembly. Or with the New BCG.
With the one out of your other rifle installed, If it works fine. You may have a tolerance issue with the New Side Charge BCG. It can happen and can cause a bind between the BCG and the Trigger Assembly?
Let us know! How the Switch out works!;)

·
Premium Member
S&W 637-2, M&P sheild 9mm
12,697 Posts
Did you clean and lube it before shooting?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Even short stroking ( always a possibility with such a short barrel and a gas system made for a 14.5 inch barrel) should not produce your symptom.

I wish I could be more helpful.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not the BCG.
Yes I had cleaned it before shooting.
Linear comp helped but not enough. Even tried M193 ammo. It managed to load a round but would not fire and I had to mortar it out. Dropped the same round into the chamber by hand. It fell in and it fell out when I inverted the gun. BCG hanging up in the star chamber? Thinking about it all the rounds I had to mortar out were live and only when it managed to strip a round and load it. I pulled the BCG and stripped it. Checked the extractor. The bolt felt a little stiff so I cleaned it again and checked the gas rings. I can chamber rounds and easily extract by hand. BCG locked back on the mag a few times. Not going back far enough to pick up a round and not resetting the hammer.
Waiting to hear from BCA.

Reactions: Bigcat

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is on it's way to BCA.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts