Pistol Caliber Carbines

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Ninetheranger, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Ninetheranger

Ninetheranger New Member

Hello all, this is my first post.

I have been in the market for a rifle for my Fiance for use in Home Defense, she is a tiny Little thing so I thought a Pistol Cal Carbine would be perfect.

Does anypne have experiance with a specific model? and what price range are they normally in?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Welcome to FTF. Why not just get a shotgun or standard 5.56? Or a pistol? You could get a 9mm AR platform at around $1100 but its still a handgun round.

3. Ninetheranger

Ninetheranger New Member

Well, She's too intimidated by shotguns so that's out, we're both too young for a handguns (19), I have a Mini-14 that I love but it's to heavy for her, I figured a carbine would be the best all around rifle for her, but a 9mm AR would be great too

4. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Hi point has some nice ones. I have the 995ts. I paid 300 for it. They come in 9mm .40cal and 45acp. If anything ever goes wrong with it hi point will fix it no questions asked.
    I hear jr carbines has some nice ones too. They are around the $1000 mark though.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

So its the weight of your rifle,not the recoil,that the problem then?

6. Ninetheranger

Ninetheranger New Member

Josh: Thanks, I'll look into those.

MountainMan: To a degree, recoil is a bit of an issue.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'd possible I'd find a way to let her try an AR. Not the best home defense weapon by any means but far more versatile in 5.56 than a pistol caliber.

8. Ninetheranger

Ninetheranger New Member

Fair enough. Still, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a .45 Carbine.

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

True. But you certainly won't be reaching out 200 yards.

10. Ninetheranger

Ninetheranger New Member

Also true, but I can't imagine an HD scenario involving a 200 yard standoff.

11. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

There's a few pistol caliber carbines out there. There's S&W AR22, which is a 22LR, based off an AR15 platform. Keltec, Calico, JR Carbines, Hi-Point all make very good carbines from 9mm, 40S&W, to 45ACP. I personally own a Hi-Point 9mm TS carbine, and it's a very good shooter and has a "Life Time Transferrable Warranty". Hi-Point will replace(or send parts to you, if legal to do so) parts for free if anything goes wrong with it---no matter how old or abused it is. Great to deal with. Cost about 1/2 of some other carbines. Paid only $249 a couple years ago. Only PROBLEM with Hi-Point carbines, is they don't make a magazine that holds over 10rds, so if you get this carbine, stock up on magazines and reload often. Company is trying to make higher capacity magazines, but they haven't come out with them yet. Some of the other Manufacturers, use magazines from Glock, that hold more rounds of ammo. There's others, but I can't think of their names right now.
    Del

12. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

sounds like your plan for a pistol caliber carbine might be the right one for you. Marlin and Ruger have made some also(don't be afraid to buy used). The 9m/m ones use cheaper ammo and have less recoil. The ones from hi-point are very popular.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's pretty fun. Decent accuracy at 50 yards. You have to use jacketed rounds in it though or they keyhole at 50 yards.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

While I dont advocate 22 rim fire pistols for home defense or personal defense, a 22 rim fire rifle can be quite formidable. They are light, easy to control and very affordable to practice with. Shot placement is still the key to any defensive weapon. While hollow point ammo is near useless in a pistol, it works very well in a rifle. The ability to make fast and accurate follow up shots is a big benefit especially for people of small stature. My wife has a 9mm pistol but I keep her S&W M&P 15-22 loaded and handy for her. It has a flashlight and a laser attached. It also has a 25 round magazine and has proven itself to function reliably with the ammo I load. Penetration through walls will not be as bad as a center fire pistol round.

16. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Since both of yall are 19. How are you going to purchase ammo for a 9mm, 45 acp etc carbine?

If you wont get a shotgun i would also suggest the 5.56 in an AR platform.

You can get a good AR from 500-2000$ depending on who you buy from and where you buy it.

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A pistol caliber carbine is a step up from a regular handgun in two ways. It does make getting hits easier and extra barrel length can get more velocity out of some rounds, which can give them the ability to cause more trauma. Other benefits can be, that they aren't as noisy, and don't have as much muzzle flash.

Another conisderation would be lever action rifles in pistol calibers, like a .357 mag. Light, short, easy to shoot, with a bit more umpf behind it. Not as intimidating to people who are less familiar with guns, as an AR-15 might be. So, if your fiance is not super comfortable around black rifles, whe might be ok with a handy lever gun.

It's nice that you are looking at guns with the priority being something that she will be comfortable shooting, and can then learn to shoot well. This goes a long way in getting your fiance to actually enjoy shooting instead of forcing her to learn a gun she may not like.

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

My Wal-Mart asks if ammo that is being purchased is going to be used in a handgun or a rifle.

19. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

And do you have to prove your answer? Or do they follow the full proof "honor system"?

20. Seven

Seven New Member

@ OP
    I have a Beretta Storm. They are kinda pricey but they are light, short, easy to operate, handle fast and have low recoil. Comes with a top rail for an optic and a short side rail (not shown in my pic) for a light if you'd choose one.

[​IMG]

I don't preach pistol caliber carbines for home/self defense, but sometimes there are situations they just make sense.