Pistol cal' carbine?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by kaido, Feb 27, 2012.

1. kaido

kaido New Member

I know there's been a good bit of talk about them, but I've always been a "proper" rifle guy and never gave them much thought till now.

Basically, I'm just wondering what some good carbines would be for about the $300-$400 range would be. The main thing it'd be used for is punching holes in paper and any other things I could find that wouldn't make that big a mess. The other two uses would be for running and gunning out in a friends field as well as taking out a few gophers.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

300-400 yards with a carbine is really pushing it unless you aim about 3-4 feet above the target. 100-150 yards can be doable with higher than standard pressure cartridges. +P or +P+ could reach out there and touch the target without too much elevation.

3. priell3

priell3 New Member

I took it as he was looking in the 300-400 DOLLAR range, not yards.

4. kaido

kaido New Member

Sorry for the confusion guys. Just another prime example of why we should all use our little symbols more then we think. Haha
    But yes, looking in the $300-$400 range.

I know of the hi point 995 and Kel tech's sub 2000, but I'm just seeing what other options there are. One reason for seeing about other options is because, in my eyes, the sub 2k is ugly as sin. Haha the hi point on the other hand looks good, but want to see what else is out there.

5. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

The little Spainsh Destroyer Carbine is a minature 93 Mauser. These were chambered in 9MM Largo, 9MM Luger, 38 Super. They were issued to the police depts. in Spain for many years. They sell for around $300 or $400 dollars on the web :D

Attached Files:

6. priell3

priell3 New Member

Mine was a bit more than you want to spend, but it has been reliable and fun to shoot. I have about 200 rounds of cheap ammo through it. www.jrcarbines.com

[​IMG]

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

http://www.justrightcarbines.com/JR_Carbine_Products.html
    These are quite a bit higher but good looking carbines. I believe they offer a discount to FTF. Some one on the forum bought one and I have handled one but not shot it. You will only gain 100-150 fps in a carbine. The 9, 40 and 45 are too efficient to gain much. 357 and 44 mag will gain quite a bit. Kel-tec and Hipoint are about the only ones in your range. There are some after market parts for the KT that dress it up nicely.

8. kaido

kaido New Member

That's actually pretty cool. I do want a Mauser so I might pick that up at some time in my life. But as of now, I'm looking for something that's semi-auto.

I actually seen yours in another thread and was digging it, but it looks like I shares the same trigger set up as an AR?

Reason that's an issue is because in Canada it'd be classified as "restricted" which basically means you can only take it to the range, gun smith and your house.

9. kaido

kaido New Member

Missed yours by seconds haha

I figured I'd have some fairly slim pickings in that price range. But the reason I'm not a fan of the KT is for the simple fact it looks to much like something I'd make with a hand gun I had no better use for. Reason I see it as his is because of the real thin looking stock. Just not a fan of it haha

After looking at the JR website, I'm a little bummed out. It is in fact an AR trigger group, so the laws here take most of the fun out of owning something like that.

10. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Hi-Point makes a 9mm, 40 and 45 carbine. I've shot the 9 or 40 (I don't remember) and it was fun and reliable. Plus it's a Hi-Point so it's in your price range if not below. The only negative is that Hi-Points are a pain to clean.

Barretta Storm CX4 is another option but it's higher than your price range.

11. kaido

kaido New Member

I was actually looking at the Barrett, it's was a nice clean looking firearm.....up until I seen the price, then It became ugly, but only because I can't afford it......yet.

12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I've shot the Hi-Point and the Baretta. I would choose the Hi-Point, the trigger on the storm is plastic and AWFUL, really heavy pull and really long and mushy. Maybe it's just the one that I shot though.

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

FWIW, the trigger on mine (CX4 Storm) was horrible, at first. Creepy and heavy. It improves with use. It's still somewhat heavy, but the creep is all but gone. I have a bigger gripe with the recoil. It seems excessive for a pistol caliber cartridge (.45 acp in my case.) They are accurate and reliable. Mine was bought for HD use.

14. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

I went to a gun show this weekend with the full intention that if I saw a Kel-Tec sub 2000 i was going to buy it...No dice!

15. kaido

kaido New Member

I've got a friend who's looking to buy a sub 2000. If he can ever find one I'll probably send a few rounds down range and see if I like it. Right now it's kinda just off looks. Haha