Pipe smokers?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, Nov 22, 2020.

1. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I didn't like the taste either. But mix it in equal parts with Half and Half or Prince Albert and it wasn't ad at all. The same with Sugar Barrel.

towboater likes this.
  2. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to buy a brand (captain jack or something) that made cherry and vanilla. Id open both, pour them in a mason jar and give it a shake, nice combination.

towboater and locutus like this.

3. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

You just need a decent pipe and good tobacco. Most people will start with a cheap pipe and lousy tobacco.
    Cheap pipes usually get wet or allow wet wads to shoot into your mouth when drawing. They can be hard to draw. Just like cigars and cigarettes, good pipe tobacco makes a difference.
    Now days with the inrerweb it's easy to look up tobacco's and get reviews so you don't have to buy six pouches to find one that you'll like.

One clue to a bad pipe - stingers.
    kgw.jpg
    If a pipe has a stinger, it's going to be sub par. Look for a pipe that uses filters. You'll get much less moisture and a more pleasant taste.

towboater, Caveman Jim and locutus like this.
  4. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Smoked a pipe for several years to get off Kools. Sheriff from Washington, Missouri had a run of corncob pipes made with his name on them, gave them away at one of our statewide training meetings. Once broken in, they were fine but a bit fragile. Fancy Merschaum (sp) tossed by a suspect during a raid is still my favorite but I always suspected I was the first to burn tobacco in it.

5. locutus

Calabash pipes are good smokers too. Usually a bit large, but good smokers.

I prefer the Meerschaum lined Calabash.
    calabash.jpg

towboater, sheriffjohn and boatme98 like this.
  6. boatme98

I just ordered a pipe, 2 kinds of tobacco, pipe tool, and cleaners.
    A French Pipe 10, smooth, billiard.
    71+9KQE+tGL._AC_SS350_.jpg
    50g of Svenborg Extra. A blend of cavendish and virginia tobacco's img-pfeifentabak-svendborg-extra-50g-15701_600x600.jpg

And 50g Peter Stokkebye 301. Natural Dutch. A blend of virginia, burley, and light cavendish.
    download (20).jpeg
    Now I patiently await the big brown truck.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  7. locutus

Have you tried "Flying dutchman?"

towboater likes this.
  8. boatme98

Oh yes. When I was young I tried all the name brands. Dutchman, Borkum, Capt. Black, and a bunch of others..

towboater and locutus like this.
  9. SRK97

Here's mine, somebody gave it to me a couple years ago after they saw the condition of my corn cob pipe. I suspect they didn't think I would use it for tobacco but thats all its ever burned JPEG_20201125_180105_2020624066305742786.jpg

10. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

I had a big azzed pipe called a bulldog. I quit smoking pipes because of that pipe.
    It was my BEST pipe and smoked "cool".
    I was getting on I 94 in St. Paul MN on a winter day and I had the pipe in my mouth. I turned to look to see where to merge onto the freeway and damned near knocked my teeth out. Sparks flying all over. That was the end, went back to my Lucky strikes.
    Glad I quit all the crap about 25 years ago now.
    Best tobacco I smoked was the Sir Walter Raleigh.
    That Borkum Riff Whiskey blend and cherry blend felt like you tongue was on fire.
    I wasn't like bill klinton either.... I INHALED!!!

11. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

One of the unmentioned side effects of smoking a pipe is hearing loss. Dad smoked a pipe for most of his career. Which means it was clamped between his teeth after it went out while he worked. As his hearing got bad one of the first things the doc asked was did he smoke a pipe. Apparently having his jaw clamped tight for hours at a time damaged his hearing I never would have guessed it was related.

I did smoke a pipe for a short time in the late 80s/early 90s. The flavored tobaccos smelled good but tasted bad. I went back to Camel unfiltereds. Quit in 1991 or 2 can't remember, still smoke a cigar or 2 on a weekend occasionaly. Been about a month since I smoked one I think.

primer1, boatme98 and SRK97 like this.
  12. locutus

Back when I smoked a pipe, "Troost Slices" was about the best tasting tobacco I ever found.

If I could ever have found a tobacco that tasted as good as Cherry Blend smells, I'd probably still be smnoking a pipe.

towboater, boatme98 and SRK97 like this.
  13. boatme98

My kit just arrived.
    IMG_20201201_133928.jpg

Loaded and lit. First tobacco pipe I've smoked in about 40 years. I wasn't thinking and when lighting it took a deeeep toke.
    I'm much better now.
    It's quite enjoyable. I was watching "Goldfinger" on hootoob when it was delivered, I think I'll go back and finish the movie and bowl.

primer1, alsaqr, Rifling82 and 2 others like this.
  14. SRK97

Come to think of it I don't think I've ever cleaned my pile properly. I pulled out the filter when it got nasty looking and never bothered getting a new one. I should probably look into that...

boatme98 and alsaqr like this.
  15. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

How's it going? Have you tried some different tobacco?

Rifling82 likes this.
  16. boatme98

I smoked some of the Stokkebye, it smells great in the pouch but was a bit bland while smoking. It's a bulk blend so I wasn't expecting too much.
    I'll try the Svendborg later today after I run some errands.

The pipe smoked well and with a balsa wood filter, dry and no tounge bite. I'm out of practice, I had to relight a couple of times.

It appears that I'll have to order all my tobacco online, I can't find a single store that sells any pipe tobacco. Tin, pouch, can, or bulk. The only thing available around here is cigarette tobacco in bulk for those that roll their own, and if you've ever smelled any of that, you know why I don't bother.:D

locutus and towboater like this.
  17. towboater

Thanks for the update. I'm thinking of getting a pipe to smoke occasionally. Always loved the smell of a good pipe tobacco

Rifling82 likes this.
  18. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

have you ever seen someone who had had cancer of the mouth and jaw?
    It is NOT nice.
    I'd say, don't smoke!! I smoked for about 47 years or so, started when I was 5 and quit when I was 52 or so.
    Lucky strikes were my favorite poison. If I couldn't get them I'd get pall mall reds or camel straights, or old gold straights.
    Interesting thing is in later years when I was trying to quit I switched to filters. Then I COUGHED more... those filters were just fiberglass I believe.
    Glad I quit.

19. towboater

Id be a very minimal smoker. Maybe 1 bowl in the evening with a shot or two of Crown Salted Maple.

20. boatme98

I'm already a short timer, tobacco isn't going to hurt me in the time I've got left.

jigs-n-fixture likes this.