Pinnacle Mountain Custom Knives

Discussion in 'New Hampshire Gun Forum' started by clr8ter, Aug 4, 2012.

1. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Turns out there is a custom knife maker 3 miles from my house. He has some knives in Lee's Gun Shop in Amherst. My wife & I have been looking for a better quality kitchen knife. So I called the guy. He was there on Sunday, and said to come on over. I was VERY impressed with his shop. He does every part of the knifemaking process, including heat treating & cyro quenching. Could not believe the quality, and the best part is you can custom order a knife, and specify every little detail, all for no money down, and no commitment. (He says that if you don't want it, guaranteed someone else will.)

You can pick the steel, choose (or custom draw) the blade profile, pick the finnish, flat or hollow grind, pick out the scales, in a variety of colors, in a variety of materials, bolster or hilt, or not, solid, or 2 tone handle rivets, ect.

The cost for all of this? $160, 8" kitchen knife, 8 week wait. AWESOME!!

And John Miller's a very nice guy to boot.....

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

got an address/info? i'm working in Amherst the next few weeks, might swing on by and look into a knew hunting knife

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Well, Lee's gun shop is located on 101A, just west of the Walmart & on the opposite side. I would recommend stopping because he's a nice guy, and I think he's always got something interesting. Shop's not full, but he recently moved from a MUCH smaller shop, and he's trying to fill the new one.

The knife guy is at 313 Cemetery Road, Lyndeborough. I would call him 1st, he's got a regular job, look up his website, more info there. I will tell you though, LGS has about 8 or so completed knives, but the knife guy has TONS, in all degrees of completion. And, like I said, you can custom request him to build you one. Get in line behind me, LOL.

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

ooops, my bad. I was thinking this was in Amherst, MA ... no Amhert, NH :eek: But thanks for the info anyhow, next time i'm in NH now I'll have reason to make a detour :D

5. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, still worth the trip.....

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

So we got our knife. He was not really late, but apologized anyway. He said 8 weeks, and it was. So we go over there to pick it up, HOLY CRAP!! Never have I been so impressed! Awesome knife. Looks great, feels great, sharp as hell. (And comes with lifetime free sharpening.) Best $ we ever spent. Highly recommended.

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

.......... :cool:

Attached Files:

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Flame and Ye shall receive!!

Attached Files:

9. downsouth

downsouth New Member

It looks like a chefs knife..nice
    May I ask ..how much ?

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

B .. E .. A .. utiful!!! Love the wood grain, an excellent selection and well executed ;)

11. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Never mind, I found where you posted price earlier. That knife should last generations with proper care.

12. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

downsouth, that price is what I paid. That price may no longer apply. I asked how long it took to make it, and he said about 10 hours. Now, take out the materials, and.......not much left. He hasn't done many kitchen knives, so this one may have been a learning experience on materials & labor estimating.

Yup, it's an 8" Chef's knife. It is loosely patterned off of a cheap Caphalon knife we use and like, but wanted a better version of. Really, this knife is only like the Caphalon in type, size, and overall shape. We requested, and he added our changes & his own flair to it.

dog2K, actually, that's not wood. It is a composite product called G10. Layers of resin and fiberglass mesh. This color is called red and black. He has MANY blanks of all colors and types to choose from, including G10, Micarta, and stabilized wood. But, unless you inspect it closely, you'd never know it's not wood.

Yes, it is beautiful. He takes order on the phone........:D

13. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

impressive :eek:

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I have been back several times to visit John Miller at his shop. The last time was just last weekend to order another knife. Also Ultra Custom. Currently, he's 9 months backed up. This speaks either to his low prices, or his quality of work. I thin it's both, actually. Surprisingly enough, he has several knives he built on spec. that he's having a hard time moving. He keeps lowering his price, and I like them all. Anyway, just thought I'd throw an update out there.