Pin shoots again

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by NGIB, Jan 4, 2011.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

It's been nearly a year since our local group had a bowling pin shoot. With the 3rd ID deployed we just didn't have enough folks to shoot. Got an email on Sunday that we're going to hold one on Jan 17th. Really looking forward to getting back into these again - need practice though...

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That sounds good Dave. I'm glad you have the chance to get back to doing something that you enjoy. Post some pics for us at some point.

I'd like to try it myself one of these days.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

You lucky dog. It's been awhile since I've shot pins. Too bad I'm working on other people's weekends.

4. Theunsb

Theunsb New Member

Real rush and powder burning fun. Do not have to run thus very good for retired cowboys.:D

5. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Hey NGIB,

What do you use for a pin shoot? I like my Smith 625 myself.

Scubie

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Two of our old regulars used 625s - never won but always competitive. My usual is a 1911 with 230gr ball as it works well for me. Sometime that evening I'm going to shoot a pin with the .460 - just to see what it'll do. I'll probably use this one at the next match as I've been shooting it very well...

[​IMG]

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Well we had 10 folks show up tonight - mostly our regulars. It was fun to get back to killing pins; however, the rust was pretty thick for me. Cleared a few tables but never really got in a groove so I went out pretty early. My buddy and fellow FTF'r Silentghost was shooting well and was still in the hunt when I left to feed the dog.

Practice before the next one is really necessary. Shot both the long slide and the ported gun about equally well...

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Thanks Dave.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

This sounds like a lot of fun but how do you keep score? Anyone use anything besides a 45?

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Some matches you shoot for time and low score wins. In this type, you shoot one at a time. Down here, we shoot head to head against someone and the first to clear the table (pins have to hit the floor) wins and a match is best 2 of 3 tables.

Tonight we had a wide range of guns used: about half of us shot 1911s, one shot a Sig 229 in .357, a couple of Glocks (a .45 and a 9mm), and one fella shot a .38 Special S&W revolver. Generally, .45s tend to dominate as a big slow bullet usually moves the pins better. Folks shooting 9mm generally have a tough time actually knocking the pins off the table - they'll tip it over but it stays on the table. A lot on 9mm shooters use JHP for extra punch.

It's seriously fun and if you get a chance - do it...

11. spittinfire

What distance do you shoot at?

12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Ah, I like the VZ grips! Grippy!

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Ours is 7 yards and the pins are about 18" apart on a wood table top. The top is about 30" deep and the pins are placed in the center. The toughest part is tipping over a pin then you have to hit it while it's flat on the table.

Spitty, you need to make a road trip to our match next month - ammo is on me...

14. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Rusty, how can you pass that up? Hurt him! Maybe he won't be able to buy another gun for a month! ;)

15. spittinfire

What's the date? I'll have to see if I can make that happen and practice.

Think I can trust him? He might give me some weak handload that won't get the job done.

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The next match is scheduled for Wednesday, Feb 16th at 1700...

17. spittinfire

They ever have them on the weekends? That's nearly 6 hours one way and I've got to work the next day.

18. NGIB

NGIB New Member

We were talking about that last night and we may try to get one set for the weekend in the near future...

19. spittinfire

Let me know if that happens. I could make a long day of it.

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

How do you find them in your area?

I have been looking and can't find any. They sound like a blast.