Pin shoot video

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by NGIB, Sep 10, 2009.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

My passion is pin shoots, love them and they're the most fun I've had with a handgun. Found a video of one of the shoots at my home range (before I moved down from Marietta). At that time they were using cinder blocks to support the plywood table tops and it wasn't a real good idea. We now use old tires as is shown in my avatar.

When this video was shot last summer, many folks were using 9mm guns. My avatar was shot during the match in Dec 08, which I won with my Kimber Gold Match. Since then, about 80% of the shooters have "graduated" to 1911s...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nWKOj6HBZw]YouTube - Mission Essential Match 2[/ame]

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Looks like a good time. How long do the pins last?

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

We generally get 2-3 events from them. We also hold rimfire matches and these only use the top 8 inches or so of the pins - so we get good life out of them...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

That does look like it would be fun. I was going to ask the same about how long the pins last. I will do some recon to see if anything like that is offered around here. I sure would hate to be the pin boy for resets, though. :D

Jack

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Really good video.

I haven't done that in FOREVA but that video brings back all the joy, and then the "Oh Crap" when you hit one and it tips on it's side and just sits right down on you.

Bowling Pin shoots are really great fun. I haven't competed as a grown up though, just a youngster shooting for fun against other sons of shooters.

I want to do that again, that brings back some really good memories. :D

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

We generally get our pins from the Ft Stewart bowling alley for free. We have had to buy some before, about a buck a pin IIRC. Our next match is Sep 21st and I'm trying to get my wife to record it with the new digital camcorder I got her for Mom's day.

Besides being huge fun, it's also great training for accurate quick reaction shooting. Going head-to-head adds to the experience as well...

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Looks like a blast. I have to try to find some competition shooting here in Texas.

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Looking forward to the match this evening after work. Wife can't make it for this one so I hope somebody else brings a recording device. Haven't shot one since June - so it should be interesting...

9. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

I've only been to one pin match, it was about 50% 1911s and cowboy revolvers with a few glocks, magnum revolvers and .22s thrown in to balance eveything out.
    Funny thing, a kid with a Ruger .22 won the match!
    They handy cap the .22s at the back edge of the table so they'll fall off easily, and put the center fire pins up at the front of the table so they're harder to knock off.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

That does look fun!

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Had a great time tonight. Made the finals and he won the first table and I won the second. The match table was as close as we'd ever seen - I lost it by .04 seconds and came in second place...

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

That's pretty cool. I'm going to look into some competetions here when I get the 1911. I could use the buckmark for rimfire comps. :cool:

13. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Questions:

I take it hitting the pin isn't enough, it has to come off the table, correct?

How far are they from the pins?

If I can pull off a 7-10 split, i.e. if I shoot one pin, and it knocks another off, does it count?

What is an average time for a run?

I don't know what it is, but man this looks like fun.

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Answers inside quote...

15. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Thanks, NGIB. I'm really intrigued now.

Where is the best place to hit a pin? I'm thinking the top would be a tough target, but the physics would suggest that it should topple easily if you can pull it off.

Center mass seems like it absorbs a great deal of energy.

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I generally shoot for the lower half of the widest spot on the pin. Shooting high tends to cause "rollers" - which can be good or bad. Hitting a pin lying on the table, especially if the top or bottom is facing you, can be a real time eater. We almost all shoot .45s as the big & slow bullets tend to move the pins much more better than light & fast.

I've shot a .40 once before and it did OK, but I could really tell the difference in how the pins "jumped" when hit. We've never had a 9mm make it to the finals - even shooting 147 JHPs...

17. zhuk

zhuk New Member

You don't have any backstops behind the pins...any problems with ricochets etc? Only asking in my complete ignorance :)p) because when shooting in competition we are required to have plastic woodchip bins behind pretty much any targets closer than about 15m. So I just wondered...or is it not usual to have them indoor? I've only done outdoor shooting :confused:

Looks fun man :)

18. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This is taking place at our local indoor range. The owner is kind enough to close it down for our matches twice a month. The fellas also shoot their indoor IDPA matches here...

19. hydrashok

hydrashok New Member

Wow! I'm glad I found this thread! I'm picking up two cases of bowling pins on Wednesday... planning a pin shoot in the next month or two out at my range.

...it's in TEXAS! North East Texas... a stones throw from SW Arkansas and NW Louisiana.

Meanwhile, I'm ramping up big time for my Turkey Shoot in November. I'm getting ready to post the details in its own thread....

20. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Make sure you setup your matches for head-to-head shooting. I've done the just shoot for time matches and they aren't nearly as much fun...