Pietta Model 1851 Confederate Navy .44 Caliber Revolver $170 at Cabelas

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Quentin, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Cabelas has the Pietta Model 1851 "Confederate Navy" .44 Caliber Revolver (with extra cylinder) on sale in store for $170 plus they applied a current $20 coupon to drop it to $150. Regular price is $200 without the 2nd cylinder.

I've never gotten around to a black powder gun but couldn't resist this sale. I know the brass receiver won't take hot loads but honestly a lot of smoke will be fine with me. :p

The Pietta is fairly well finished and the action seems strong and timed well. I like the octagonal barrel and brass receiver. Definitely not up to the high end reproductions but not bad at all for the money. I probably won't take it out and fire it until spring, which will give me time to get up to speed on black powder shooting. No doubt it'll lead to more guns.

Here's a link but the online sale is $10 more than in store and no extra cylinder.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo.../browse.cmd?N=1100201&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd740536

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Great buy.....

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

There was never a "Brass" framed 1851 Navy .44 caliber pistol. That is a Cabelafederate Revolver.:D

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have the same gun. It is a lot of fun. I use a 9mm shell full of powder then a 40 S&W shell of cream of wheat on top. I use a 451 round ball. I top it all off with a little bit of Crisco to prevent chain fires.

That is a really nice load. Quite accurate. Powerful enough to be fun. But not enough to damage the gun. Have a good time. And don't you dare wait until spring to shoot it! Grab your coat and Man Up!:D

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Good point! But for now I'm a wimp. Shoveled 4" of new snow off the driveway and sidewalk today. I'll wait for a nice day! Thanks for the info. I'll play around with light loads and probably never go over 20 grains.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

True, that's why I used quotes in Pietta Model 1851 "Confederate Navy" .44 Caliber Revolver. :D

But the South was desperate for firearms and used anything. No doubt if this had been available during the Civil War they would have used it!

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

They did not use brass in the frames back then but they did use bronze. Brass is cheaper and not as strong, I would bet that a bronze frame built to the same specs would be plenty strong for BP loads. Steel is better of course, but the Confederacy did not have a good supply of it back in the day.

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The "Chain" fire stories are greatly over stated. Chain fire which refers to a second chamber ignition after the barrel aligned chamber is discharged. This is not caused by the chamber mouth igniting or prevented by cooking oil.
    This is caused by the Parabolic effect of the initial cap explosion. It is the same principle as a flintlock rifle. The passage of the first "Flash" passing over a poorly fitted cap or worn "Nipple". It is more often due to a cap falling off the next chamber. Just as in a vented flintlock the ignition is created by hot gas not flame. When this happens you never know it anyway. The projectile goes about 12 feet and hits the ground. :)
    Back in the day Colt or Remington never recommended cooking oil or breakfast food for use in their hand guns. Can you imagine a hungry "Reb" putting Grits and lard in his pistol? Not likely. The reason the chambers are deep is they were loaded with paper cartridges with conical bullets not round balls. ;)

9. Hawg

Hawg New Member

They had the means to make them but I'm sure the reason they didn't is that they knew the bronze frames wouldn't hold up to heavy loads. A lot of the original 36's have battered recoil shields from using heavy loads in them. The South did make some 44's but the frames were iron.

10. Rick1967

Hey Nightstalker, the gun in question has a brass frame. It can not fire full powered loads. They will stretch the frame. However the ram is too short to properly seat the ball on top of the recommended load. There would be an air gap between the powder and the ball. That is a no no. Bad juju. That is why I use the cream of wheat as a filler. I also have a steel framed 1858. I fill those chambers with powder. That gun can handle it. I use tight fitting nipples and I use Crisco. I don't believe you can over do it safety wise. I have never had a chain fire.

No offense intended. But people often tell me I am more careful shooting that I need to be. I will never tell someone that they are being too careful. I am an IDPA safety officer, by the way.

11. Rick1967

I have loaded conicals in my 1858. But the opening under the ram of my 1851 is too small to put a conical in. The only way to reload would be with the cylinder off the gun. Not the quickest way to reload in the middle of a battle.:D

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Actually the bronze frames are probably strong enough for full loads, but it depends on the alloy. There are some alloys that they call "red bronze" because there is so much copper in it, though it is softer I think. I am not sure if high silicon bronze was available back in 1851, but that is plenty strong for this type of use.

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Rick, Cavalry Troopers carried extra loaded cylinders into battle. They were used as we use magazines today. The Texas Rangers were issued 2 Walker Colts each with an extra cylinders. It would have been nearly impossible to reload a Perc. revolver while setting on the Hurricane Deck of a Calvary horse during a charge.
    The Mdl. 58 can be loaded with the proper conical bullet without taking it down. :)

14. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Yeah, red bronze also called gunmetal is what they used.

15. Rick1967

That must have been a scary experience. I cant imagine trying to put a capped cylinder into a gun while riding a horse. I wonder how many shot themselves doing it.:eek:

And yes, I like the conicals in my 1858. I have actually molded pure lead bullets from the mold that I use for my 45 colt. They are a little harder to seat. But they shoot pretty nice.

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Rick LEE makes a .44 tapered base mold that is for the Remington. I pour these out of "Flat" stick on WWs which are very close to Dead lead.
    I think if your Calvary charger took lead under fire as they were trained you were just there. Any concern about gun safety would have been the least of you problems. Horses naturally head to any opening once the charge started the game was on.
    During the Battle Of The Little Big Horn many troopers died when their mounts charged the scattered Indian lines. Some times the troopers would shoot their own horses to escape the panic charges.:eek:

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I was thinking about that too since this Pietta comes with a second cylinder. Should be handy but I can't imagine capping it until it's in the gun!

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

19. Hawg

Hawg New Member

None because swapping cylinders wasn't done back in the day except for maybe by a very few that could afford presentation revolvers that came with a spare cylinder. Cavalrymen carried from 4-6 extra revolvers.

20. FROGMAN

FROGMAN New Member

I just ordered a 1858 Remington from Cabelas just before Christmas, the UPS said it would be here on the 24Th but I guess the weather kicked there butt's
    I'm still waiting.