Pierced primers

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by kenl, Jan 24, 2011.

1. kenl

kenl New Member

Don't know if this is the right place for this, but ...Went to the range today with my Ruger Blackhawk 9mm/.357 convertible. Shot .38 reloads, no problem, but about half of the .357 reloads exhibited a pierced primer.

I was using 158 gr jhp over 7.4 grs of Herco. Primers were Remington small pistol 1 1/2. Had similar problems using the same bullet over 10.0 grs of Blue Dot and Magtec 1 1/2 SP primers.

Loads DO NOT call for mag. primers, and are from the most current Lee manual.

Could it be the pistol, a weak spring maybe? My primer choice? The load? Thanks for any input!

2. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Since you are at the bottom of the range for loading with those powders, im thinking its a primer issue.

3. res45

res45 New Member

Have the same pistol and have shot all types of load variations in 38/357/9mm and never had that problem,but I have never used Rem. primers. CCI,Fed,Win. and Wolf have all worked fine.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

are you getting lead shavings in and around the forcing cone area??

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Check w/ Remington. While your manual may not call for it, I THINK Remington reccomends their 5 1/2 SPP for .357 Mags. The 1 1/2 is thinner, and can "flow" under 357 pressures.

6. kenl

kenl New Member

Thank you for the responses. This pistol is relatively new to me, so I'm still trying to figure it out

No, I'm not seeing lead shavings at the forcing cone. Checked the firing pin, and it looks, and feels, smooth. Springs are stock, as far as I know. A couple things that I haven't done is try some commercial .357 loads, and I haven't used these loads in another revolver. BTW, haven't had problems with 9mm.

I'll check with Remington. Also have some Winchester and wolf primers, I'll see if they do the trick.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Alliant shows 10.2 gr of Blue Dot to be max. They call for a Magnum primer. I am guessing it is the relatively thin primers.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I think it is the primers are not for 357 mag pressures is all. You loads look ok to me.

For Herco I show 7.8 to 9.5 load range

For Bluedot I show 11.6 to 12.6 (Your a little low and this bring in's different problems). My manual is the Sierra 5th edition.

So take that into account as well.

My book uses CCI -550 primers for all 357 mag loads.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/primers.asp

Every thing I am seeing on the web says 1.5 remmys have a thin cup and can't handle the pressures of the 357 mag.

9. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Lee 2nd Ed. shows-

7.4-8.2 Herco,
    9.9-10.7 BD

10. kenl

kenl New Member

BTW, just geting into reloading.

I'm surprised to see such a large variation in loads between books.

Yeah, looks like I made a wrong choice in primers. also, looks like Magtec 1 1/2s should be considered similar to the Rem.s.

Thank you again for the info.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

That is one of the things that you will come to hate about reloading.

My advice is get a few books and use the one you like. I use my Sierra for loading just about everything even Hornady bullets. Though I do have a hornady manual. It is all based on how they pressure test and their pressure testing set up. ect......

12. zivadog

zivadog New Member

I had a problem with the Rem 5 1/2's failing to ignite in .380 and 9mm. Called Remington and they verified to me that the 5 1/2's are for larger higher pressure rounds that use small pistol primers (like .357) Seems that they are both small pistol primers, neither are magnum primers. The 5 1/2's have thicker cups and if you look closely at the box on the 1 1/2's its says not to use them for higher energy cartridges like the .357

Zivadog, Baton Rouge, La

13. zivadog

zivadog New Member

Forgot to add that I have been using the 900 or so left of the Rem 5 1/2 primers for my .357 loads.

After a few hundred rounds, no misfires. Must be that the Ruger Single action is denting them hard enough........

Looks like the smaller calibers were not denting the thicker cups hard enough for them all to fire.

14. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

I have always used the CCI primers. I have never had a problem with the in any type of firearm. I have had some problems with other brands.
    In my opinion, CCI makes the best primers on the market.
    I've been reloading for 30 years and have used the CCI almost the entire time, I've never run into a problem with them, hot load, light load of anything inbetween.

John K

15. kenl

kenl New Member

Update

Loaded up, and shot, a dozen rounds, using Winchester and Wolf primers. No problems.

Looks like it was the primers. The Rem 1 1/2 and Magtech 1 1/2 sp primers will be used in .38 and 9mm loads for now on.

Thanks for all of the help!